talkingcell

Default How much does it probably cost to change countertop to granite?

I am considering to change the kitchen tile countertop to granite. How
much would it cost probably? Just a standard kitchen, I have not
measured the size yet... Including an island.

Any idea? or how much per sqft?

Thanks.

talkingcell

I am in Seattle... if this information is necessary for price estimate.

FDR

"talkingcell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in Seattle... if this information is necessary for price estimate.

You need to figure the area (size) and what thickness you'd prefer. Also,
what you want to do for a backsplash. Then there are the costs for cutting
it, the cost for what style edge you want. And finally, the pattern of the
granite varies.

Ballpark estimate might be 10 thousand, but who knows.

Edwin Pawlowski

"talkingcell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am considering to change the kitchen tile countertop to granite. How
much would it cost probably? Just a standard kitchen, I have not
measured the size yet... Including an island.

Any idea? or how much per sqft?

Thanks.

$60 to $100 a square foot

Art

Is that with tax? Seriously, one concern I've always had about granite is
someone spilling the wrong stuff on top......

"Thurston Howell" wrote in message
$2868.00

"talkingcell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in Seattle... if this information is necessary for price estimate.

Sacramento Dave

"talkingcell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am considering to change the kitchen tile countertop to granite. How
much would it cost probably? Just a standard kitchen, I have not
measured the size yet... Including an island.

Any idea? or how much per sqft?

Thanks.

We just did our kitchen . The price of the granite is based on how many
slabs you need ( most places wont sell half a slab ) The granite price can
very $7 a sq. ft. and up. Most the stuff we looked at was about $12 to $15
sq. ft. the slab size can very. For our kitchen we needed 4 slabs. This
included a small built desk and a wet bar full back splashes. We found a
granite we liked $25 a sq. ft. granite cost about $6000. installation was
$9000. I did all the tear out of the tile myself and put the plywood tops on
cabinets ( the wanted $1200 for the tear out.) on the back splashes I just
tore the tile and sheetrock off and put up 1/2" ply.From what I have been
told when they do the tear out what ever little bit of sheetrock is left on
the walls is what they glue to.
Now for some advice, Try to find a Co. that sells the granite and
installs it. Most granite suppliers sell you the granite and give you a
handful of installers cards. My problem with that is, It's way to easy to
pass the buck if there is a problem. When you get to the kitchen sink if you
are using an under mount sink ( for looks you can't beat IMO) It will most
likely be deeper than your existing sink ( ours is 10" deep) you might have
to lower trap adaptor, this could be a last minute ass pain. I have been
told there are allot of hacks installing so ask to look at some jobs.
One more thing we spent allot more than we planed ( new sink's ,
fixtures, cook top ) but end results is incredible, we bought granite with
ALLOT of movement and we did make the big picture book at Cassarino stone.
There is nothing that compares to mother natures art.

Thurston Howell

$2868.00

"talkingcell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in Seattle... if this information is necessary for price estimate.

Sacramento Dave

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"talkingcell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am considering to change the kitchen tile countertop to granite. How
much would it cost probably? Just a standard kitchen, I have not
measured the size yet... Including an island.

Any idea? or how much per sqft?

Thanks.

$60 to $100 a square foot

That's Installed right?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
m...

$60 to $100 a square foot

That's Installed right?

Yes

Fred

"talkingcell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am considering to change the kitchen tile countertop to granite. How
much would it cost probably? Just a standard kitchen, I have not
measured the size yet... Including an island.

Any idea? or how much per sqft?

Thanks.

Granite slab (2'x6', 2'x8' or 2'x10') with bullnose $3.25/sf and up. Left or
right edge bullnose add $20-30 per side.

Granite tile (12"x12") $2.00/sf and up.

4" Back splash $20 and up per 8' section.

Installed $50 - $200/sf or up.

As you can see most of the cost is in the labor. I'm in the Bay Area so
adjust for Seattle.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 23 Jul 2005 01:20:10 GMT "Art"
posted:

Is that with tax? Seriously, one concern I've always had about granite is
someone spilling the wrong stuff on top......

Isn't it marble that you have to worry about, not granite?

Isn't that related to the marble tombstones rotting in the acid rain,
and earlier I think.

I think granite stones look new for 100's of years.

Of course, I could be wrong.

"Thurston Howell" wrote in message
$2868.00

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

In Greece, where marble is cheap (and my mom's uncle actually owned a
mine) you see it everywhere. Kitchen & bath floors, counter tops.
And yet we had a relative who had the Greek Formica distrib in the 1950s.

We've had Formica in our house since 1965 and it's in perfect shape.
Why do you want the trouble?

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

We've had Formica in our house since 1965 and it's in perfect shape.
Why do you want the trouble?

Not everyone likes Formica. Granite looks very nice.

Sacramento Dave

wrote in message

That's more like it.. Besides, the housing bubble has finally
burst (last week front cover economist.com) and your contractors will
soon become students in humility soon

Were do you live? Are these the same economist that said the interest
rates cant go any lower 3 years ago? I'm sure the market is going to slow
down or drop,but when? who knows? But I do no one thing in Real Estate what
go's down must go up. Just like in the 90tys.

G Henslee

Sacramento Dave wrote:
But I do no one thing in Real Estate what
go's down must go up. Just like in the 90tys.

Yeah, but add to that "Land - man can't make it and god ain't makin'
anymore"

In by Sacramento Dave
on Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:32:10 GMT we perused:
*+- Were do you live? Are these the same economist that said the interest

Well, I believe we've had a minor drop here in the past year.
But I can't be sure. economist.com showed UK down 30%..
Australia like 10% and the USA just now nudging down..

*+-down or drop,but when? who knows? But I do no one thing in Real Estate what
`- a know no? (@_@)

I see my NYC/LI house overvalued about 65% and would not be surprised
if it ends up undervalued by 65% in five years, when I hope to be well
off to buy up.. I see them taking a $350k house and still keeping some
of the inner structure (and haz mats) making a king-sized MacMansion
that leaves almost no yard and selling it for $1mln as "new".. many of
the extensions seem rather flakey - I can't see those "sistered" beams
holding the shear stress.. (recall KC MO 1981?)

I had friends who bought condos out of college in the 1980s and then
held on to them as investments because they would lose their
money.. they ended up recouping the money from tax breaks for
repairs.. but they never had the money to really buy a house once they
got married, because it was sunk into the overpriced condo.. most of
them are waiting for prices to go down NOW to buy..

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm
[Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]
Stormin Mormon

Damn, you're good. That's how much my brother's cost last week!

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Thurston Howell" wrote in message
$2868.00

"talkingcell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in Seattle... if this information is necessary for price estimate.

Stormin Mormon

I was thinking $4,320,564 but we can't start work till early September.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus