Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Cost of Marble vs Hardwood for New construction in FL

I'm buying a condo in FL that is "designer-ready", and I'm trying to
get a handle on the actual cost of doing the flooring. The installation
is going to cost a lot more than the materials themselves, and its easy
to find out the cost of the materials. But for say 1000 sqft, what are
the installation costs of marble vs hardwood (prefinished) aside from
the flooring itself?

Thanks

Valery

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm buying a condo in FL that is "designer-ready", and I'm trying to
get a handle on the actual cost of doing the flooring. The installation
is going to cost a lot more than the materials themselves, and its easy
to find out the cost of the materials. But for say 1000 sqft, what are
the installation costs of marble vs hardwood (prefinished) aside from
the flooring itself?

Thanks

Valery

it depends upon your area. look up flooring in your yellow pages and ask
someone local.

I don't live there yet so I don't have yellow pages. Hence, I'm trying
to utilize the vast resources of the internet.

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't live there yet so I don't have yellow pages. Hence, I'm trying
to utilize the vast resources of the internet.

http://yellowpages.com/Index.aspx

You should consider other things besides cost when choosing between the
two. I personally feel that marble is not a good choice for anything,
so I would go with hardwood. Or if you like the "marble" look - go with
granite ($$$$)

In NJ, you can get grade 1 oak hw floor + 2 polyurethane coats and 1
sealer for $6.50-7.00 sq. ft.

Probably cheaper where you are.

wow, what a useful forum. Why would someone with no info waste their
time and mine telling me to check the yellow pages? Yikes!

D. Gerasimatos

In article . com,
wrote:

wow, what a useful forum. Why would someone with no info waste their
time and mine telling me to check the yellow pages? Yikes!

Why would someone ask the entire world something they can find out from the
Yellow Pages?

Dimitri

Are you a moron or what? You call someone int the "Yellow Pages" and
they don't give you an answer. Oh, Miss whatever, we have to come over
and do an estimate. It depends on this or that. They you get 3
different estimates that arent even close.

I just asked the relative cost differences between hardwood
installation and marble installation. They shouldn't be much different
"where I am". If you don't know, or don't want to help, then just shut
your face. There's nothing more annoying than people who answer
questions that they don't know the answers to.

D. Gerasimatos

In article . com,
wrote:

Are you a moron or what? You call someone int the "Yellow Pages" and
they don't give you an answer. Oh, Miss whatever, we have to come over
and do an estimate. It depends on this or that. They you get 3
different estimates that arent even close.

I just asked the relative cost differences between hardwood
installation and marble installation. They shouldn't be much different
"where I am". If you don't know, or don't want to help, then just shut
your face. There's nothing more annoying than people who answer
questions that they don't know the answers to.

So you think that the installers won't be able to give you accurate
estimates without more information and yet you want us to do the
same? Just ask them the same question you asked here. Tell them you want
a ballpark estimate. Make up a scenario of a 20x20 square room and see what
they say. What did the flooring place say? Sometimes they can give you
that answer, too.

Dimitri

I'm sure she wasn't asking you, Banty. She was hoping to find someone
with a clue. I'm sure she's looking for a ballpark figure from someone
who has experience with both. If you don't know, why answer at all?
Sadly, when you give poor and stupid people access to the internet as
has happened in the past few years, the value of these forums diminish
proportionally. I wouldn't take advice from any of these morons
Valerie. They'd probably misguide you on purpose to amuse themselves.

scordelia

Marble and granite are more expensive than hardwood. They are also more
expensive to install (any kind of tile is). Both will need refinishing
eventually. But you are in FL. The main advantage of marble is that it
is always 7 degrees cooler than the surrounding air, so it is great for
a hot climate. Granite is about 2 degrees cooler. Granite is harder,
but marble will last a long time.