peter

Default please help identify insert nests in soil

In a shrub area, I found about ten sand mounds about 1-inch diameter with a
hole in the center about 5-mm. I also notice bee-like insects with black and
yellow stripes flying into the holes. They are about 1-cm long, smaller than
an average bee. Plus, the nest looks nothing like a bee nest (on high places
buzzing with activities).

Any idea what this insect is?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/672644
The arrows point to the mounds and in the middle of the red circle is one of
those bugs hovering in the air -- please click on "original" to see it; it's
kind of blurry.

Paul Franklin

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:36:40 GMT, "peter" wrote:

In a shrub area, I found about ten sand mounds about 1-inch diameter with a
hole in the center about 5-mm. I also notice bee-like insects with black and
yellow stripes flying into the holes. They are about 1-cm long, smaller than
an average bee. Plus, the nest looks nothing like a bee nest (on high places
buzzing with activities).

Any idea what this insect is?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/672644
The arrows point to the mounds and in the middle of the red circle is one of
those bugs hovering in the air -- please click on "original" to see it; it's
kind of blurry.

Around here (northeast Ohio) we call them yellow Jackets. They are a
type of wasp and will sting if provoked. They generally nest in the
ground. Google yellow jacket wasps to confirm this what you have.

If you want to get rid of them you can use wasp and hornet spray (the
kind that sprays a long stream) and saturate the nest openings from
far away. Do it in the late evening or early morning when they are in
the nest an not too active. Be prepared to run. The spray will knock
down any wasps you hit directly, but may take several days to kill all
the wasps.

HTH,

Paul

bc

"peter" wrote in news:IUhDe.35561$Tx1.6639@trnddc03:

In a shrub area, I found about ten sand mounds about 1-inch diameter
with a hole in the center about 5-mm. I also notice bee-like insects
with black and yellow stripes flying into the holes. They are about
1-cm long, smaller than an average bee. Plus, the nest looks nothing
like a bee nest (on high places buzzing with activities).

Any idea what this insect is?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/672644
The arrows point to the mounds and in the middle of the red circle is
one of those bugs hovering in the air -- please click on "original" to
see it; it's kind of blurry.

Yellow jackets. I usually find the nests in the yard when I mow,
then I get some real exercise. Unlike bees, they can sting you
repeatedly.
Lar

In article IUhDe.35561$Tx1.6639@trnddc03, says...
In a shrub area, I found about ten sand mounds about 1-inch diameter with a
hole in the center about 5-mm. I also notice bee-like insects with black and
yellow stripes flying into the holes. They are about 1-cm long, smaller than
an average bee. Plus, the nest looks nothing like a bee nest (on high places
buzzing with activities).

Any idea what this insect is?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/672644
The arrows point to the mounds and in the middle of the red circle is one of
those bugs hovering in the air -- please click on "original" to see it; it's
kind of blurry.

They are called "Digger Bees" each hole is a separate nest. Mostly
harmless, but if they are stepped on the female will sting...males will
be buzzing about fighting each other to mate but have no stinger.
Keeping the area wet is supposed to be a way to chase them away.

--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Norminn

peter wrote:
In a shrub area, I found about ten sand mounds about 1-inch diameter with a
hole in the center about 5-mm. I also notice bee-like insects with black and
yellow stripes flying into the holes. They are about 1-cm long, smaller than
an average bee. Plus, the nest looks nothing like a bee nest (on high places
buzzing with activities).

Any idea what this insect is?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/672644
The arrows point to the mounds and in the middle of the red circle is one of
those bugs hovering in the air -- please click on "original" to see it; it's
kind of blurry.

Your local or state extension service probably has a website with info
for identifying and eliminating the bug. In case they are yellow
jackets, I would be sure to stay away from the nest until you know what
to do with it. Yellow jackets in Florida have attacked massively and
killed a few folks; one was an elderly guy who was stung when his mower
disturbed an underground nest. The only stinger, I believe, which will
pursue people, so not one to take lightly. Don't know how they are
where you live, but massive nests have been found in Florida, both above
and in ground. They respond from underground nests just from vibration
of someone walking or mowing. This website has some good photos for ID:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/scripts/htm...DOCUMENT_IG099

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

peter wrote:
In a shrub area, I found about ten sand mounds about 1-inch diameter with a
hole in the center about 5-mm. I also notice bee-like insects with black and
yellow stripes flying into the holes. They are about 1-cm long, smaller than
an average bee. Plus, the nest looks nothing like a bee nest (on high places
buzzing with activities).

Any idea what this insect is?

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/672644
The arrows point to the mounds and in the middle of the red circle is one of
those bugs hovering in the air -- please click on "original" to see it; it's
kind of blurry.

Yellow Jackets. Should be called 'runner' bees as that is what you will
be doing.

My cousin and I were in a golf course/park in West Virginia. We were
walking in this sort of ditch/stream that ran through the park. We
walked with 1 foot on either side. We walked up on a nest.

Then we ran about 1/2 mile all the way home while they were stinging us
the whole way. Probably got 10-15 stings.
So you don't have to get rid of them. You can keep them around as
personal trainers

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert