Walter R.

Default Ho do I run a cable through the garage ceiling?

I need to run a TV cable from the inside of my garage through the finished
ceiling in the garage (sheetrock), into the attic.

I understand that there is a problem with making holes in walls or ceilings
in the garage, leading to living quarters or to the attic.

How can I stay within code while running this cable through the ceiling in
my garage? Do I need special fittings or can I just knock a hole in the
ceiling, run the cable and patch up the hole around the cable with patching
compound?

Thank you

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Greetings,

Just make the hole about the size of the cable with a drill bit and run
the cable through the hole. Seal the hole with silicone if it makes
you feel better. No inspector I have ever had has ever failed me for
anything done with a coax TV cable no matter what.

Hope this helps,
William

RBM

If you really want to dot the I's and cross the t's, where you drill the
hole through the floor to the living space,inside or outside of the wall,
( not the garage sheetrock) use firestop caulking