DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ho do I run a cable through the garage ceiling? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/113644-ho-do-i-run-cable-through-garage-ceiling.html)

Walter R. July 17th 05 04:09 AM

Ho do I run a cable through the garage ceiling?

I need to run a TV cable from the inside of my garage through the finished
ceiling in the garage (sheetrock), into the attic.

I understand that there is a problem with making holes in walls or ceilings
in the garage, leading to living quarters or to the attic.

How can I stay within code while running this cable through the ceiling in
my garage? Do I need special fittings or can I just knock a hole in the
ceiling, run the cable and patch up the hole around the cable with patching
compound?

Thank you

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

[email protected] July 17th 05 04:27 AM

Greetings,

Just make the hole about the size of the cable with a drill bit and run
the cable through the hole. Seal the hole with silicone if it makes
you feel better. No inspector I have ever had has ever failed me for
anything done with a coax TV cable no matter what.

Hope this helps,
William

RBM July 17th 05 12:33 PM

If you really want to dot the I's and cross the t's, where you drill the
hole through the floor to the living space,inside or outside of the wall,
( not the garage sheetrock) use firestop caulking