toller

Default What are these things I bought at an auction?

At an auction tonight the auctioneer was about to no-bid a large lot of
crap, so I offered $1 figuring there had to be something in there worth $1.
Immediately 2 people offered me $3 for stuff I would have left behind
otherwise; so I actually paid -$2. I can't imagine why they didn't bid,
except maybe they didn't want it all.

Included was about 150' of hardwood dowels in various sizes that I will use
eventually, 5 rolls of screening I need to repair all my cottage screens, a
50' rubber air hose, and a plastic barrel that I was planning on buying for
a swim platform (well that is a mixed blessing; now I have to buy 3 more for
about $15 each). Also a few other things that I will hold to because they
are too nice to throw out; like 100' of heavy rope, a new wax toilet seal,
and hardware for bifold doors. Not bad for -$2.

But also included were two other items, and I hope someone can tell me what
these a

A 6 piece Lenox Vari-Bit kit. I know they are for drilling holes in sheet
metal (at least I think that is what they are for) but why 6 pieces that are
all more or less the same size?

20' of #2 welding cable. The scrap copper ought to be worth $5 by itself,
but what is it used for?

Duane Bozarth

toller wrote:
A 6 piece Lenox Vari-Bit kit. I know they are for drilling holes in sheet
metal (at least I think that is what they are for) but why 6 pieces that are
all more or less the same size?

That I don't know...

20' of #2 welding cable. The scrap copper ought to be worth $5 by itself,
but what is it used for?

Its name just might be a klew???
Warren Weber

Snip

20' of #2 welding cable. The scrap copper ought to be worth $5 by itself,
but what is it used for?

Jumper cables for next winter?

Dan C

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 02:21:30 +0000, toller wrote:

A 6 piece Lenox Vari-Bit kit. I know they are for drilling holes in sheet
metal (at least I think that is what they are for) but why 6 pieces that are
all more or less the same size?

Whatever you do, don't put "lenox vari-bit" into a Google search. You
might figure it out without looking foolish.

20' of #2 welding cable. The scrap copper ought to be worth $5 by itself,
but what is it used for?

What the **** would you *think* welding cables are used for? You're a
real winner, aren't ya?

Linux Registered User #327951

toller

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 02:21:30 +0000, toller wrote:

A 6 piece Lenox Vari-Bit kit. I know they are for drilling holes in
sheet
metal (at least I think that is what they are for) but why 6 pieces that
are
all more or less the same size?

Whatever you do, don't put "lenox vari-bit" into a Google search. You
might figure it out without looking foolish.

I did, and it doesn't. I only look foolish to a fool.

20' of #2 welding cable. The scrap copper ought to be worth $5 by
itself,
but what is it used for?

What the **** would you *think* welding cables are used for? You're a
real winner, aren't ya?

Damn you are an asshole. Obviously they are used for welding, but what
makes them different from any other electrical cable? If you don't know the
answer than shut the hell up. And if you do know the answer, then give it
instead of being a jerk.

Rick

"toller" wrote in message

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
[...]

They're a lot more flexible-much finer wire than a #2 conductor used
in electrical wiring...

toller

"Rick" wrote in message
nk.net...

"toller" wrote in message

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
[...]

Can they be used as a #2 cable, in the unlikely instance I ever need one?
Thanks.

SteveB

"Rick" wrote

They're a lot more flexible-much finer wire than a #2 conductor used
in electrical wiring...

All welding cables I have seen have been made up of fine strands of copper.
I don't believe I have ever seen one like them wired in a building. I think
it would be so they are pliable, and easy to bend.

I once bought two PALLETS of welding cable at a government auction at the
Nevada Test Site. My pickup was groaning and farting by the time I got back
to Vegas.

I made a little more than gas money on that deal. ;-)

Steve

Dan C

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:27:57 +0000, toller wrote:

Whatever you do, don't put "lenox vari-bit" into a Google search. You
might figure it out without looking foolish.

I did, and it doesn't. I only look foolish to a fool.

Then you're even more ignorant than it appears. That search produces all
the info you could ever want on that.

20' of #2 welding cable. The scrap copper ought to be worth $5 by
itself, but what is it used for?

What the **** would you *think* welding cables are used for? You're a
real winner, aren't ya?

Damn you are an asshole. Obviously they are used for welding, but what
makes them different from any other electrical cable?

You didn't ask "what makes them different", dip****. You asked "what is
it used for". Look above at your words that I quoted. Were you born this
stupid?

Linux Registered User #327951

wkearney99

You didn't ask "what makes them different", dip****. You asked "what is
it used for". Look above at your words that I quoted. Were you born this
stupid?

He may have been borne stupid but you sure seem to have grown into quite the
asshole.

David Martel

Toller,

The Lenox web site shows a 6 piece kit. The diameter and the angle of the
cone vary from bit to bit. I'm no expert but I suspect the small dia., acute
angles are to drill through tougher material.
#2 welding cable is a #2 gauge cable that is suitable for welding. I've
seen it used in auto jumper cables. As copper it has value. I do not know if
it can be used in situations where a continuous current is intended.

Dave M.

SteveB

You didn't ask "what makes them different", dip****. You asked "what is
it used for". Look above at your words that I quoted. Were you born
this
stupid?

What was it in your case? Were you born stupid, or did you just practice a
lot?

Steve

Chip C

If they don't carry the right markings then they would not be
code-compliant for household wiring. I would *assume* that with the
right terminations they would make a fine set of jumper cables, but
there may be caveats that I'm not thinking of. Actually, I am thinking
of one: the insulation is probably not weather-rated and probably not
flexible in the cold, so you might be risking it cracking and exposing
the conductor when you boost your car next January.

I would also expect jumper-cable clamps to cost more than pre-assembled
cables in a carrying case. That's what I always find when I try to make
something out of what I already have.

Chip C

Duane Bozarth

Chip C wrote:

If they don't carry the right markings then they would not be
code-compliant for household wiring. I would *assume* that with the
right terminations they would make a fine set of jumper cables, but
there may be caveats that I'm not thinking of. Actually, I am thinking
of one: the insulation is probably not weather-rated and probably not
flexible in the cold, so you might be risking it cracking and exposing
the conductor when you boost your car next January.

Most welding cable is quite nice, actually. I suppose there is cheap
Chinese crap available these days, too, but normally it is very good
stuff.

Pagan

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 04:27:57 +0000, toller wrote:

Whatever you do, don't put "lenox vari-bit" into a Google search. You
might figure it out without looking foolish.

I did, and it doesn't. I only look foolish to a fool.

Then you're even more ignorant than it appears. That search produces all
the info you could ever want on that.

The guy was asking a question. If he wasn't ignorant, he wouldn't need to
ask.

On the other hand, you appear ten times as ignorant, because instead of
answering his simple questions, you blasted him.

20' of #2 welding cable. The scrap copper ought to be worth $5 by
itself, but what is it used for?

What the **** would you *think* welding cables are used for? You're a
real winner, aren't ya?

Damn you are an asshole. Obviously they are used for welding, but what
makes them different from any other electrical cable?

You didn't ask "what makes them different", dip****. You asked "what is
it used for". Look above at your words that I quoted. Were you born this
stupid?

Perhaps if you were just a bit smarter, you could look past exact wording,
which is fine in contracts but doesn't always happen in Usenet, and decide
that he would like to know what ELSE they could be used for, or why they are
different. Your thoughtless knee-jerk reaction shows you go to newsgroups
just to slam people who's only crime is asking questions. You might want to
try surfing porn sites instead. It would be far less pathetic.

Pagan

SteveB

"Pagan" wrote

The guy was asking a question. If he wasn't ignorant, he wouldn't need to
ask.

Ignorant, to me, means never having heard the answer to something. Once you
have heard it, you aren't ignorant any more if you don't choose to take it
in, but only dumb.

Truly stupid people are ones who refuse to learn.

And "ignorant" can also mean those who think they know everything. IMHO,
anyway.

We all can learn something every day. Lots of things every day. By
observing. By asking questions. By reading. Where would we be, though, if
all the smartass pompous ignorant know-it-alls were in charge instead of
people willing to pass along knowledge in the sacred relationship of
teacher/disciple. (disciple means student in the dictionary, and has
nothing to do with religion, BTW)

I hope I never stop learning.

Steve

Pagan

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Pagan" wrote

The guy was asking a question. If he wasn't ignorant, he wouldn't need

ask.

Ignorant, to me, means never having heard the answer to something.

I dislike using the word ignorant. Most folks consider it an insult, even
when they don't think they know everything.

Once you
have heard it, you aren't ignorant any more if you don't choose to take it
in, but only dumb.

Truly stupid people are ones who refuse to learn.

And "ignorant" can also mean those who think they know everything. IMHO,
anyway.

We all can learn something every day. Lots of things every day. By
observing. By asking questions. By reading. Where would we be, though,

if
all the smartass pompous ignorant know-it-alls were in charge instead of
people willing to pass along knowledge in the sacred relationship of
teacher/disciple. (disciple means student in the dictionary, and has
nothing to do with religion, BTW)

Well said.

Pagan

I hope I never stop learning.

Steve

Dan C

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:31:17 -0700, Pagan wrote:

Whatever you do, don't put "lenox vari-bit" into a Google search. You
might figure it out without looking foolish.

I did, and it doesn't. I only look foolish to a fool.

Then you're even more ignorant than it appears. That search produces all
the info you could ever want on that.

The guy was asking a question. If he wasn't ignorant, he wouldn't need to
ask.

OK, let me rephrase that. Not being able to put that simple search into
Google, and get something useful from it, makes one "stupid" instead of
"ignorant". You're absolutely correct.

You didn't ask "what makes them different", dip****. You asked "what is
it used for". Look above at your words that I quoted. Were you born this
stupid?

Perhaps if you were just a bit smarter, you could look past exact wording,
which is fine in contracts but doesn't always happen in Usenet, and decide
that he would like to know what ELSE they could be used for, or why they are
different.

I'm not a mind reader, and my crystal ball is in for repairs. How can you
know what he "meant". All we can go by (here on Usenet) is what is "said".

Your thoughtless knee-jerk reaction shows you go to newsgroups
just to slam people who's only crime is asking questions.

It does? You can deduce that simply by reading one post by me? Wow.

You might want to try surfing porn sites instead.

Nah, I don't want to imitate you. I'm my own person.

It would be far less pathetic.

Well, you would know, huh?

Linux Registered User #327951

PrecisionMachinisT

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
toller wrote:
A 6 piece Lenox Vari-Bit kit. I know they are for drilling holes in

sheet
metal (at least I think that is what they are for) but why 6 pieces that

are
all more or less the same size?

That I don't know...

20' of #2 welding cable. The scrap copper ought to be worth $5 by

itself,
but what is it used for?

Makes for a nice set of jumper cables.

--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Rick" wrote

They're a lot more flexible-much finer wire than a #2 conductor used
in electrical wiring...

All welding cables I have seen have been made up of fine strands of

copper.
I don't believe I have ever seen one like them wired in a building. I

think
it would be so they are pliable, and easy to bend.

Very common to see it used inside of machinery panels, etc. and for the
exact reason being that its much easier to get tight bends thus making it
easier to terminate within confined spaces.

Guessing that wire designation would be "type S" or "type SO".

--

SVL

Pagan

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:31:17 -0700, Pagan wrote:

Whatever you do, don't put "lenox vari-bit" into a Google search.

You
might figure it out without looking foolish.

I did, and it doesn't. I only look foolish to a fool.

Then you're even more ignorant than it appears. That search produces

all
the info you could ever want on that.

The guy was asking a question. If he wasn't ignorant, he wouldn't need

ask.

OK, let me rephrase that. Not being able to put that simple search into
Google, and get something useful from it, makes one "stupid" instead of
"ignorant". You're absolutely correct.

Not knowing something would be called ignorant. For instance, let's just
say I didn't know what the word "ignorant" means, and despite my anger and
astonishment at others' failure to use Google, I am far too stupid to look
at www.dictionary.com and find out what that word is all about. That would
make ME ignorant.

Calling someone "ignorant" as an insult, however, would be quite foolish
when said person is asking a question. To ask a question implies, in the
strongest sense in most cases, that the asker is indeed ignorant about the
subject about which he is asking.

Perhaps he didn't think of Google at the time. Perhaps he has recieved so
much help from this newsgroup, or seen others get help, that his first
thought was coming here and asking a question.

This does not make one stupid.

However, if he Was stupid, you behaving like a jerk isn't going to suddenly
turn him into a brain doctor.

You didn't ask "what makes them different", dip****. You asked "what

is
it used for". Look above at your words that I quoted. Were you born

this
stupid?

Perhaps if you were just a bit smarter, you could look past exact

wording,
which is fine in contracts but doesn't always happen in Usenet, and

decide
that he would like to know what ELSE they could be used for, or why they

are
different.

I'm not a mind reader, and my crystal ball is in for repairs. How can you
know what he "meant". All we can go by (here on Usenet) is what is

"said".

To be honest, I didn't know what he meant. Flaming the guy isn't going to
suddenly enlighten me, so I sat back and observed others' responses.

If there were no responses, I would probably do what I do in public (where
getting your ass whooped is a real possibility) and simply ask him to
clarify.

Your thoughtless knee-jerk reaction shows you go to newsgroups
just to slam people who's only crime is asking questions.

It does? You can deduce that simply by reading one post by me? Wow.

One? How can you possibly know how many posts by you I have read? You just
claimed you aren't a mind reader. Not only will you blast a guy for asking
a simple question, calling him ignorant and stupid, but then you throw this
post up, showing yourself to be both, and oddly enough, quite proud of the
fact.

I actually read two of your posts, in this same thread. That's one more
post than I need to see what a prick you are, but the second confirms things
nicely.

Anyway, to answer your poorly thought out question, it is far easier to
judge folks by their behavior than by their knowledge.

You might want to try surfing porn sites instead.

Nah, I don't want to imitate you. I'm my own person.

It would be far less pathetic.

Well, you would know, huh?

Weak insults are also pathetic. At least do all the readers of this
newsgroup a favor and come up with something amusingly creative.

Pagan