twfsa

Default Pay Phone question

I have a pay phone in my home thats does not require coins to make a call.

Do you think that the phone would operate in a home with out coins in the
UK, the same as in the states?

Thanks

Tom

G Henslee

twfsa wrote:
I have a pay phone in my home thats does not require coins to make a call.

Do you think that the phone would operate in a home with out coins in the
UK, the same as in the states?

Thanks

Tom

WTF? Hop a flight, cross the pond, hook it up, 'call' when you have time.
Pop

"twfsa" wrote in message
I have a pay phone in my home thats does not require
coins to make a call.

Do you think that the phone would operate in a home
with out coins in the UK, the same as in the states?

Thanks

Tom

Well, yes and no. It might work but it would be
illegal to connect to their telephone network because
it wouldn't have their equivalent of UL, FCC and other
telecom specs. Their telephone networks are quite
different from ours. I used to do international
complaince testing for telecom mfgrs and North American
phones cannot pass their tests, just as their phones
cannot pass our tests. It's not one better than the
other, just different.

HTH

Pop

Dan C

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:11:38 -0500, twfsa wrote:

G Your a ****in genius,or a ****in moron,my guess Moron

And you're an idiot ****ing top-posting dip****. Run along.

Linux Registered User #327951

arizona

TOP POSTING IS COOL!

And you're an idiot ****ing top-posting dip****. Run along.

G Henslee

twfsa wrote:

"Pop" wrote in message

"twfsa" wrote in message

[...]

Yes. Totally illegal. Get a cell hpone.
G Henslee

twfsa wrote:

"Pop" wrote in message

"twfsa" wrote in message

[...]

Nope. Totally legal. Good luck twit.
Pop

"twfsa" wrote in message
So it would be illegal to plug it into your home
phone modular jack in the UK?

Tom

Technically, yes, if you got caught. There might be
operational problems too since the UK uses different
ringing frequencies and patterns than we do here. Ring
detection is always the biggest problem manufacturer's
have in their designs. The phone may or may not ring
if it had an electronic ringer, espeically if it were
not designed to allow for multi-country patterns, etc..
It's kind of a long subject, but technically,
depending on where you were in the UK, it -might- work.
Since it's a pay phone, if any of the coin sensors
are still working inside it it's going to have a hefty
REN (Ringer Equivalence Number) also. It's possible
but not necessarily likely it might set off an alarm in
the central office as the phone tries to switch to the
coin ckts. They would definitely have to be disabled.
The brits are more strict with their phone
regulations than we are here in North America. They're
stricter with lots of things. Like over $1,000 to get
a driver's license, a tax called a license, to own a TV
set, which you must be able to produce upon demand,
etc.. The TV thing came about in the war when they
were being turned into transmitters with their parts
and the laws were just never changed - so now it's
actually a tax but the law is still there about the
license, so ... ya get one when you buy a TV.
Lotsa interesting stuff 'cross the pond as they call
it. \

HTH,

Pop

PS Henslee's got a neat set of responses, eh? Guess he
figued to cover both bases; no way he can be wrong with
two conflicting responses.

"Pop" wrote in message

"twfsa" wrote in message
I have a pay phone in my home thats does not require
coins to make a call.

Do you think that the phone would operate in a
home with out coins in the UK, the same as in the
states?

Thanks

Tom

Well, yes and no. It might work but it would be
illegal to connect to their telephone network
because it wouldn't have their equivalent of UL, FCC
and other telecom specs. Their telephone networks
are quite different from ours. I used to do
international complaince testing for telecom mfgrs
and North American phones cannot pass their tests,
just as their phones cannot pass our tests. It's
not one better than the other, just different.

HTH

Pop

Pop

"G Henslee" wrote in message
twfsa wrote:

"Pop" wrote in message

"twfsa" wrote in message

[...]

What's "totally" illegal mean? And a cell phone's not
nearly as neat as having a pay phone hooked up. I have
a credit card phone hooked up here - it even gives the
AT&T Bong (my doing, it's not real). Pay phones are
neat. Long's you don't collect money for them.

Pop

"G Henslee" wrote in message
twfsa wrote:

"Pop" wrote in message

"twfsa" wrote in message

[...]

Make up your mind, you twit. YOu just said it was
illegal in your other post.
Pay phones in particular have entireley different
electric characteristics than regular phones - but
being ignorant of such things you wouldn't know that
even though you try to put your worthless cents in.
When you have nothing to say, that's what you should
say.

Pop

G Henslee

Poop wrote:

When you have nothing to say, that's what you should
say.

Pop

FOAD, Poop.
PrecisionMachinisT

"Pop" wrote in message
Pay phones in particular have entireley different
electric characteristics than regular phones - but
being ignorant of such things you wouldn't know that
even though you try to put your worthless cents in.

Care to explain to us in detail these so-called 'different electrical
characteristics' ???

( IOW, I call bull****.... )

--

SVL

G Henslee

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
"Poop" wrote in message

Pay phones in particular have entireley different
electric characteristics than regular phones - but
being ignorant of such things you wouldn't know that
even though you try to put your worthless cents in.

Care to explain to us in detail these so-called 'different electrical
characteristics' ???

( IOW, I call bull****.... )

--

SVL

Poop said "entirely different" That's different. He's an expert.
Don't mess with him.

Edwin Pawlowski

Care to explain to us in detail these so-called 'different electrical
characteristics' ???

( IOW, I call bull****.... )

Thee are some differences in plugs, at least
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1

And in how they ring
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...ne_ringer.html

What is ring signal ?
The telephone company sends a ringing signal which is an AC waveform.
Although the common frequency used in the United States is 20 HZ and in
Europe is typically 25 Hz, it can be any frequency between 15 and 68 Hz.
Most of the world uses frequencies between 20 and 40 Hz. The voltage at the
subscribers end depends upon loop length and number of ringers attached to
the line; it could be between 40 and 150 Volts. The ringing cadence - the
timing of ringing to pause - varies from telephone company to company.

What telephone regulations say about telephone ringers
European NET4 telephone line terminal equipment specs define the following
specs for the telephoen ringing detector circuit.

a.. The impedance in voice frequency (200-3400 Hz) must be greater than 10
kohm when measured with 0.5V RMS audio signal
b.. The current taken by the ringer must be equal or less than 5 mA at 35
V ring voltage and equal or ledd than 10.7 mA at 75V ring voltage. The
measurments are made using 25 Hz ring current frequnecy.
c.. Ring detector must work on ring signal which is 44-58V DC summed with
25+-3Hz AC ring signal in voltage range 35-75 V. The feeding resistance for
ring generator is 800-1710 Hz.
d.. Ring detector must not detect ring signal which is 44-58V DC summed
with 20-3400 Hz AC ring signal which is less than 10 V. The feeding
resistance for ring generator is 800-1710 Hz.
If the equipment is automatically responding the equipment must wait at
least 1s from the ring detection until it goes off-hook.

Telephone ringer classification
In USA FCC regulations need the ringer type to be specified on the device.
The possible types are Class A and Class B. Class B ringers will respond to
ringing frequencies of between 17 and 68 Hertz while Class A ringers will
respond to betwwen 16 and 33 Hertz. Class A devices are those typical old
telephone bells and practically all electronic ringers are B type. Nearly
all of the devices made to connect to the phone lines today are of the Class
B type. The telephone ringer type on your device (if you live in USA) is
printed on the FCC sticker on the bottom with a REN number on it. You'll see
something like .9B (= REN 0.9 Class B) or 1.0A (= REN 1.0 Class A).

PrecisionMachinisT

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Care to explain to us in detail these so-called 'different electrical
characteristics' ???

( IOW, I call bull****.... )

Thee are some differences in plugs, at least

&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

And in how they ring

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...ne.htm&url=htt
p://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/telephone_ringer.html

[...]

Ed,

Forget Europe for now, Pop had said "pay phones" have different electrical
characteristics than "regular phones".

His claim, so its up to him to explain the difference between the two, if
any........

--

SVL

Edwin Pawlowski

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

Forget Europe for now, Pop had said "pay phones" have different electrical
characteristics than "regular phones".

His claim, so its up to him to explain the difference between the two, if
any........

Oh, that's different. Instead of a hard wired terminal, they use the metal
coins to make the contact. The coin drops down the slot bridging the two
wires. They are spring loaded to support the coin for three minutes, then
it drops and disconnects you.

G Henslee

"G Henslee" wrote in message

Poop wrote:

When you have nothing to say, that's what you
should say.

Pop

FOAD, Poop.

Just answer their questions Poop. In your own self-elevated, jump on
the soapbox, I'll show this guy, words:
"When you have nothing to say, that's what you should say"

You really aint ****, just poop.

Pop

"G Henslee" wrote in message

Poop wrote:

When you have nothing to say, that's what you
should say.

Pop

FOAD, Poop.

Just answer their questions Poop. In your own
self-elevated, jump on the soapbox, I'll show this
guy, words:
"When you have nothing to say, that's what you should
say"

You really aint ****, just poop.

Name calling: sure sign of a kaner. That other is a
Foster Parent Support newsgroup. Give it back to the
foster parents and stop with the childish, inane crap.
Do not go away mad, just go away; you don't own the
group anymore than anyone else does and you still have
not posted on topic there. Nor here much, for that
matter.

G Henslee

Poop wrote:
just go away; you don't own the
group anymore than anyone else does and you still have
not posted on topic there. Nor here much, for that
matter.

Go away? Not a chance Poop. *You* go away. Or, killfile me you stump
stupid high minded ****.

Now quit avoiding the real issues and go explain your stupidity in not
one, but two threads now. Your crappy 'advice' is being questioned.

--
Pop aint ****, he's just Poop.
Dan C

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:48:22 -0400, Pop wrote:

And another kaner exposes its genitals to the world.

What's a "kaner" ?

Linux Registered User #327951

G Henslee

Dan C wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:48:22 -0400, Pop wrote:

And another kaner exposes its genitals to the world.

What's a "kaner" ?

http://tinyurl.com/8fdcc

Must be referring to the wearing of a kilt... Which means Pop is a
pooping tom.

--
Pop ain't ****, he's just Poop.
PrecisionMachinisT

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

Forget Europe for now, Pop had said "pay phones" have different

electrical
characteristics than "regular phones".

His claim, so its up to him to explain the difference between the two,

if
any........

Oh, that's different. Instead of a hard wired terminal, they use the

metal
coins to make the contact. The coin drops down the slot bridging the two
wires. They are spring loaded to support the coin for three minutes, then
it drops and disconnects you.

Pretty sure most, ( if not all ) call supervision is being handled at the
exchange these days.....

Nonetheless, ring is gonna be at 20 or 25 hz, and then voice is on ~ 600
ohms.

My point here being that doubtful any changes are needed whatsoever as to
outplant cabling and beyond depending upon whether it's gonna connect to a
pay phone or a regular phone (so far as I know)........

....AND...

If push comes to shove, just so happens I live in a VERY small town....where
the local exchange is STILL privately owned....last I checked there are
maybe a dozen or so left in the US.....and all I gotta do if I got any
questions whatsoever is make one call and I get Gretchen on the line....her
great-grandfather had put the very first phones into this area many, many
years ago.......and if she dont know the answer, then she immediately
connects me to someone who does......

Any rate, (and as I said before)....its still up to Pop to explain the
difference here ( if any ).

Me thinks he was perhaps hittin the bottle just a bit heavier than usual,
and took to behaving like an ignorant lout is all.

--

SVL

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Oh, that's different. Instead of a hard wired terminal, they use the
metal
coins to make the contact. The coin drops down the slot bridging the two
wires. They are spring loaded to support the coin for three minutes, then
it drops and disconnects you.

More bull****, I guess you never "pinned" a phone call.

No sense if humor eh?

Enjoy high quality long distance Internet Phone calls at incredible rates John Electronics Repair 0 May 18th 05 12:36 PM
telephone wiring question barry martin Home Repair 0 August 11th 04 02:43 AM
Phone static at the box means... wheel Home Repair 10 February 29th 04 10:04 AM
phone line noise hank Home Ownership 8 December 7th 03 09:02 PM
phone wiring question... gothika Electronics Repair 2 July 18th 03 11:16 AM