Junior Member

Question electric hot water wiring

New Kenmore Miser 6 electric
One Black wire, One blue wire, One yellow wire. On tank
Power in one black, one white and ground.
Black to black – Yellow and blue from tank goes to white from power line ?
Does ground and white go with the blue and yellow ?
Can’t find any place to put ground wire to.

2pyrs
Joseph Meehan

2pyrs wrote:
New Kenmore Miser 6 electric
One Black wire, One blue wire, One yellow wire. On tank
Power in one black, one white and ground.
Black to black - Yellow and blue from tank goes to white from power
line ?
Does ground and white go with the blue and yellow ?
Can't find any place to put ground wire to.

2pyrs

I think it is time for you to back off on this project.

I would have to guess that water heater is 240V and it would appear
(assuming US location) you are trying to hook it up to a 120V supply.

The water heater should specify how to hook it up, but I'll bet it talks
about a black RED white and ground. The ground may be a screw on the tank
not a wire.

I suggest you may need a professional here before you do something that
could hurt someone or burn the house down.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

RBM

There should be a wiring diagram somewhere, possibly under one of the side
covers where the elements are. The wire colors, by themselves don't mean
anything specific. Sometimes there is a ground lug or screw in or on top of
the wiring compartment which should be identified by being green
"2pyrs" wrote in message

New Kenmore Miser 6 electric
One Black wire, One blue wire, One yellow wire. On tank
Power in one black, one white and ground.
Black to black – Yellow and blue from tank goes to white from power
line ?
Does ground and white go with the blue and yellow ?
Can’t find any place to put ground wire to.

2pyrs

--
2pyrs

As usual, I agree with Joseph. And unless it fell of the turnip truck,
it should have wiring instructions. Even if it doesn't, you can get
them from Sears or as was pointed out they almost always have a wiring
diagram on the unit itself.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pyrs
New Kenmore Miser 6 electric
One Black wire, One blue wire, One yellow wire. On tank
Power in one black, one white and ground.
Black to black – Yellow and blue from tank goes to white from power line ?
Does ground and white go with the blue and yellow ?
Can’t find any place to put ground wire to.

2pyrs
Forget it fig it out myself.

2pyrs

Olaf

"2pyrs" wrote in message

New Kenmore Miser 6 electric
One Black wire, One blue wire, One yellow wire. On tank
Power in one black, one white and ground.
Black to black - Yellow and blue from tank goes to white from power
line ?
Does ground and white go with the blue and yellow ?
Can't find any place to put ground wire to.

2pyrs

--
2pyrs

What country are you in?

With those odd wire colors it's not obvious where they go, AFAIK. It is
likely you have 10-2 with ground as a supply cable, correct?

This isn't answering your question, but if you have 10-2 with ground
supplying your water heater then the black and white will be the hots, and
the ground will be bare. This is normal for a water heater.

The blue and yellow wires on the heater are throwing me off. With those odd
colors you're either going to have to find the wire diagram, guess, or do a
continuity test between the metal casing and the yellow and blue wires
(separately). I can't imagine why a water heater sold in the USA (assuming
again) would come with UK wire colors..... Hopefully the voltage will be
correct for the heater.

The one that shows continuity to the metal case will be the ground, and the
other would have to be the other hot.

Try guessing and get it wrong, and you'll know as soon as you turn the
breaker on.

Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pyrs
Forget it fig it out myself.

2pyrs
Thanks guys but a little Persistence and finding the ground under the edge of where the wires sit kind of showed all on the set up. I am not one to back off on a project. Ask, read and learn then finish what I start.

Project Done
2pyrs

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM