Robert11

Default Outdoor Board For Siding Edge Bottom: What Type Of Wood To Use ?

Hello:

Have vertical house siding that I would like to "finish off" by running
a long board horizontally along the bottom edge.

Probable something like 6" wide by 3/4 thick, in 8 foot length(s).

Can I get away with the regular Pine wood boards for this ?
I will be painting it.

Or, must / should I use cedar, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message
Have vertical house siding that I would like to "finish off" by running
a long board horizontally along the bottom edge.

Probable something like 6" wide by 3/4 thick, in 8 foot length(s).

Can I get away with the regular Pine wood boards for this ?
I will be painting it.

It is possible to use pine, but the likelihood of it rotting are far greater
than other materials. I'd use cedar, cypress, Spanish cedar as they are
much more rot resistant.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Roger Taylor

Whatever you use, position the trim board so that there is a 1/8 or greater
gap with the vertical siding. If the trim is butted up against the siding
end-grain, water will collect and be sucked up the vertical boards, rotting
them. You might even consider a small piece of Z-flashing in copper or galv.
iron, that separates the two - then you could make the trim gapless.

Have vertical house siding that I would like to "finish off" by running
a long board horizontally along the bottom edge.

Probable something like 6" wide by 3/4 thick, in 8 foot length(s).

Can I get away with the regular Pine wood boards for this ?
I will be painting it.

Or, must / should I use cedar, or... ?

Please help diagnose water heater problem Peter Michelson Home Repair 16 March 8th 04 04:31 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
gutter drip edge problems wgadsby Home Repair 1 October 24th 03 10:26 AM
What TYPE PC 557 is Amazon Shipping Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 3 July 13th 03 03:56 PM