Murriel

Default Please Pinpoint This Phone Problem

Rainy or even damp weather causes loud static and sometimes kills the
dial tone altogether. When it dries out, everything's OK.

1) I tested a phone on the outside interface box. It checked out OK.
Nice clear dial tone, no static.

2) Tested several (but not all) jacks in the house. All of those
tested revealed the loud static.

3) I have a service contract with telco, even for the inside wiring,
but they cannot get to the house until next week.

The problem's obviously inside, but can you suggest a specific
location. Thanks, M
joe

Murriel wrote:
Rainy or even damp weather causes loud static and sometimes kills the
dial tone altogether. When it dries out, everything's OK.

1) I tested a phone on the outside interface box. It checked out OK.
Nice clear dial tone, no static.

2) Tested several (but not all) jacks in the house. All of those
tested revealed the loud static.

3) I have a service contract with telco, even for the inside wiring,
but they cannot get to the house until next week.

The problem's obviously inside, but can you suggest a specific
location. Thanks, M

sounds like water is getting on the wires or connections
Mikepier

You will have to isolate the phone line when you test it. All of the
phone jacks in your house are typically in parallel. Which means if you
have a problem on one line, all of the others will be affected.
Similiar to if you had a short on one of your electical outlets, the
breaker will trip and affect all of the outlets on that circuit until
you isolate the problem.
Check to see if all of the phone lines in your house run to the
interface box. If it does, you can isolate the wires and try each one
until you find the problem.
If your line runs from jack to jack, you have to go to the first jack,
remove the wiring to the rest of the house, and test the line there,
then repeat at the next jack until you find the bad line.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Murriel" wrote in message

The problem's obviously inside, but can you suggest a specific
location. Thanks, M

I've never been to your house so how can I be specific?

Any of the jacks in a damp location? You may have to disconnect it to see
if it makes a difference. One by one, all the jacks.

Ken

Mikepier wrote:
You will have to isolate the phone line when you test it. All of the
phone jacks in your house are typically in parallel. Which means if you
have a problem on one line, all of the others will be affected.
Similiar to if you had a short on one of your electical outlets, the
breaker will trip and affect all of the outlets on that circuit until
you isolate the problem.
Check to see if all of the phone lines in your house run to the
interface box. If it does, you can isolate the wires and try each one
until you find the problem.
If your line runs from jack to jack, you have to go to the first jack,
remove the wiring to the rest of the house, and test the line there,
then repeat at the next jack until you find the bad line.

In addition to the above, it could be another phone device plugged into
the house wiring that is causing the noise. Have you (Murriel) removed
ALL other modems, phones or other devices from the internal wiring when
you tested it??????

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Murriel wrote:
Rainy or even damp weather causes loud static and sometimes kills the
dial tone altogether. When it dries out, everything's OK.

1) I tested a phone on the outside interface box. It checked out OK.
Nice clear dial tone, no static.

2) Tested several (but not all) jacks in the house. All of those
tested revealed the loud static.

3) I have a service contract with telco, even for the inside wiring,
but they cannot get to the house until next week.

The problem's obviously inside, but can you suggest a specific
location. Thanks, M

did u test with all phones unplugged?

--
Respectfully,