Pop

Default Generator - magnetics loss?

Hi,

It's never happened to me and I've never seen it
discussed, but every generator manual I've seen has
instructions on what to do if the magnets in it beome
weak or reversed. Grab a lantern battery, back charge
it, turn it on and go sort of things.

I hope Ive made it understandable to know what I mean.

1. What causes the loss of magnetic field?
2. Is there a preventive method to avoid it?
3. Is there a sort of "in between" state where the
mags are just weakened? What do you do then?
4. When you exercise a generator periodically, should
you load BOTH poles or is one at a time OK to do?
Should you use a light, moderate or heavy load?

Why am I asking? I haven't gotten the transfer switch
installed yet. Probably won't until this fall. Money
issues. It's a 5,000 Watt Koleman unit wiht a 10 HP
B&S motor, interestingly enough, Industrial grade, not
residential. It's kept us from freezing twice so far -
THIS year that switch goes in!

Thanks for any knowledge that might be here

Pop

SQLit

"Pop" wrote in message
[...]

1.Loosing the field exciter is rare in my experience. They break
If you bought a Coleman it would be easier to get a spare set of parts for
your genset. I used to work on them. Not an commercial unit by any means.

2. With the Coleman none that I am aware of

3. Not to my knowledge,

4. Exercise is sort of a personal thing. I have seen gensets exercised
weekly and fail when they were needed. I have seen exercising monthly and
work fine.
As to the load I would use at least 80% of the rated output for 15 minutes,
do not forget the cool down time.
What does Coleman recommend?

Pop

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Pop" wrote in message
[...]

They recommend 20 minutes of run time per week, but the
manual says nothing about what sort of load is best or
anything else. I do allow for cool down etc, but the
manual doesn't even mention it. It's pretty minimal
for actual information, actually. The run time's
really only necessary to keep the battery up and the
fuel lines open and clean, I think. But I've always
wondered how much load should be used. Nowadays I just
toss a 1500 watt electric heater on it for 5 minutes or
so.

I've found that about two weeks is a good cycle as long
as the battery's in good shape and the garage doesn't
get too cold. I keep it indoors and roll it out by the
grounding rod when it's actually put into use, which
fortunately isn't too often.
It was a real Godsend, and only three months old,
when the "Ice Storm of '98" hit us here in the
northeast. That's also where I learned how to use clip
leads & to unfasten the gas line so I could get gas out
my car's tank; for four of those days no one was
allowed on the roads except emergency vehicles.
Wouldn't have done any good to go out anyway; none of
the gas stations had generators either so they couldn't
pump the gas they had! The national guard brought in
hundreds of generators for the farmers in the area.
Now I lay-in a safely stored supply of 30 gallons
of gas now each year, soon's they switch to the
"winter" gas. Haven't needed it all yet, but I don't
intend to be using my car to pump gas again! I
couldn't believe there was no way to get a siphon hose
into the tank!!

Thanks for the memories,

Pop

Mark

suggest you use Stabil in your spare gas.

Mark

Pop

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
suggest you use Stabil in your spare gas.

Mark

That's not a bad idea. I haven't had a problem yet,
but those can be famous last words. The gas does get
used, in rotation, but some of it stores for up to
about 5 months or more. It gets used for the
snowblower of course, plus keeping the generator full,
and as soon as the weather warms we start using it in
lawn tractors, etc., until it's gone. I've got about
11 gallons left right now so it's been there quite
awhile. Natch, I use a filter-funnel when I fill
equipment too; it's interesting the stuff you get in
even brand new cans.

Thanks

Pop

Art Todesco

Pop wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

suggest you use Stabil in your spare gas.

Mark

Every time I have used Stabil in any of
my gas or in my tools (over the winter),
the tool
will not start or is very hard starting.
After giving up Stabil for good years
ago, my tool always start easily.

Of course, your results my vary ....
just my experience (perceived or
otherwise).
Vic Dura

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 09:47:14 -0400, in alt.home.repair
Generator - magnetics loss? "Pop" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
roups.com...
suggest you use Stabil in your spare gas.

Mark

That's not a bad idea. I haven't had a problem yet,
but those can be famous last words. The gas does get
used, in rotation, but some of it stores for up to
about 5 months or more.

I've use Stabilt treated gasoline that has been stored in a sealed
drum for 2 years. Never had a problem with it.

Pop

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
.. .
Pop wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

suggest you use Stabil in your spare gas.

Mark

Every time I have used Stabil in any of my gas or in
my tools (over the winter), the tool
will not start or is very hard starting. After giving
up Stabil for good years ago, my tool always start
easily.

Of course, your results my vary .... just my
experience (perceived or otherwise).

That can happen if you add too much.
Also, if you ran the engine as you should, there is
a store of Stabil in the bowl that has to be thinned
out before the engine runs well so a couple extra
seconds of start time is normal as is a littel smoke
when it first starts.