sligo

Default remote control ceiling fans

I need to install a remote control ceiling fan. HD has unit but the
controls are add on and make wiring a nuisance.
Does any manufacturer make these units with a built in controller instead of
add on?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Steve B.

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:39:09 -0700, "sligo" wrote:

I need to install a remote control ceiling fan. HD has unit but the
controls are add on and make wiring a nuisance.
Does any manufacturer make these units with a built in controller instead of
add on?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Yes they do make them with the integraged controller. The bad side is
that the remote electronics replace the regular switches so if it
breaks you have no more fan.

Why do you find it to be a nuisance to install the add-on unit? It
takes about 30 more seconds to hook up the three additional wires and
slide the controller in the housing.

Steve B.

Seamus,

Check out the Gossamer series of Hampton Bay fans. They are designed to
be super energy efficient, which means that they have: 1) shaped blades
like one finds in an aircraft propeller providing 40% more airflow at
the same wattage 2) a remote control and a motion sensor that can be
programmed to turn off the fan after a certain amount of time without
activity in the room.

Bottom line: it's designed as a fan should have been designed in the
first place. Check it out at the Florida Solar Energy Center (part of
Florida State, I believe):http://tinyurl.com/b4byh

Available only at Home Depot and, alas, not in sizes less than 52".
Hence, I'm now looking at a StratoJet at http://www.airstrata.com/ and
trying to figure out how to hook up a remote control to it...

Andre' A.

Evodawg

sligo wrote:
I need to install a remote control ceiling fan. HD has unit but the
controls are add on and make wiring a nuisance.
Does any manufacturer make these units with a built in controller instead of
add on?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

One thing nice about these remote fans is you don't need to install
a wall switch if one does not exist. If one does then you need to
install the one they provide. Just make sure you buy the fan that
fits your application. If no wall switch then wireless remote, wall
switch then remote that takes the place of existing wall switch. And
you will need battery!

Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
sligo

Thank you for the kind reply.
It is for a new house and existing ready box. No room for the receiver in
box and inaccessible for new hardware.
Best,
Seamus J.
"Steve B." wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:39:09 -0700, "sligo" wrote:

I need to install a remote control ceiling fan. HD has unit but the
controls are add on and make wiring a nuisance.
Does any manufacturer make these units with a built in controller instead

of
add on?
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Yes they do make them with the integraged controller. The bad side is
that the remote electronics replace the regular switches so if it
breaks you have no more fan.

Why do you find it to be a nuisance to install the add-on unit? It
takes about 30 more seconds to hook up the three additional wires and
slide the controller in the housing.

Steve B.

Steve B.

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 12:33:37 -0700, "sligo" wrote:

Thank you for the kind reply.
It is for a new house and existing ready box. No room for the receiver in
box and inaccessible for new hardware.
Best,
Seamus J.

The receiver does not need to go in the box. They are designed to fit
in to the canopy area of the fan sliding between the "ball" that the
fan hangs on and the mounting bracket. All you have to do is slide it
in place and then slip the canopy up over it.

Steve B.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

sligo wrote:
I need to install a remote control ceiling fan. HD has unit but the
controls are add on and make wiring a nuisance.
Does any manufacturer make these units with a built in controller instead of
add on?

I hate to be so vague about it because I can't remember the model but my
experience with one of these wasn't happy. Trying to control the fan with the
remote was sporadic at best. I finally removed the unit and just use a longer
pullstring now.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

CR

I bought a Hampton Bay with a add on remote.
I first tried to stuff it between the mounting bracket that the ball hangs
in and the canopy cover. Try as I might, it would not fit. Just as I was
ready to take it back, I decided "what the hell, I might as well read the
directions". It slides in between the bracket and the box that the bracket
bolts to just like it was made for it. Imagine that!.

CR

"Steve B." wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 12:33:37 -0700, "sligo" wrote:

Thank you for the kind reply.
It is for a new house and existing ready box. No room for the receiver

in
box and inaccessible for new hardware.
Best,
Seamus J.

The receiver does not need to go in the box. They are designed to fit
in to the canopy area of the fan sliding between the "ball" that the
fan hangs on and the mounting bracket. All you have to do is slide it
in place and then slip the canopy up over it.

Steve B.

Steve B.

Unfortunately the receiver is far too big to fit in the canopy.
Best,
Seamus J.

OK then find another one that will fit. I have four of them installed
here in the house and they all fit perfectly. The fifth one came with
the fan that is designed only for remote control and it is exactly the
same unit as the ones I added on to the four other fans. The
controller side is a black slender box that slides right in to the
housing.

Home Depot shows 56 remote control fans in their catalog. If you have
them in your area check the web page to see their offerings.

Steve B.

TURTLE

"Steve B." wrote in message

Unfortunately the receiver is far too big to fit in the canopy.
Best,
Seamus J.

OK then find another one that will fit. I have four of them installed
here in the house and they all fit perfectly. The fifth one came with
the fan that is designed only for remote control and it is exactly the
same unit as the ones I added on to the four other fans. The
controller side is a black slender box that slides right in to the
housing.

Home Depot shows 56 remote control fans in their catalog. If you have
them in your area check the web page to see their offerings.

Steve B.

This is Turtle.

he wants you to come over and do it for him !

TURTLE