badgolferman

Default deck floor board decision

I'm building my first deck and have reached the last two deck floor
boards. I have a choice between ripping the second to last board or
the very last one. Either way the last board will have to be cut
around the vertical posts. The rip cut would be less than 2 inches.
Which would you do?

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
Edwin Pawlowski

"badgolferman" wrote in message

Either way the last board will have to be cut
around the vertical posts. The rip cut would be less than 2 inches.
Which would you do?

Neither. I'd have increase the spacing just a tad so the last board was
either a perfect fit or damned close to it. Or closed them up to add another
board.

If the boards are typical deck boards with a rounded edge you don't want to
rip it unless you can round the edge again. If you can't do that, put the
ripped edge to the outside.

badgolferman

Edwin Pawlowski, 7/1/2005, 10:15:47 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message

Either way the last board will have to be cut
around the vertical posts. The rip cut would be less than 2 inches.
Which would you do?

Neither. I'd have increase the spacing just a tad so the last board
was either a perfect fit or damned close to it. Or closed them up to
add another board.

If the boards are typical deck boards with a rounded edge you don't
want to rip it unless you can round the edge again. If you can't do
that, put the ripped edge to the outside.

Why to the outside? Is there an advantage to that? Surely not looks?

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
Joseph Meehan

badgolferman wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski, 7/1/2005, 10:15:47 PM, wrote:

"badgolferman" wrote in message

Either way the last board will have to be cut
around the vertical posts. The rip cut would be less than 2
inches. Which would you do?

Neither. I'd have increase the spacing just a tad so the last board
was either a perfect fit or damned close to it. Or closed them up to
add another board.

If the boards are typical deck boards with a rounded edge you don't
want to rip it unless you can round the edge again. If you can't do
that, put the ripped edge to the outside.

Why to the outside? Is there an advantage to that? Surely not looks?

I would do it based on looks. It will show up a lot less on the outside
than making that one gap look different than all the rest.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Mikepier

What deck boards are you using? If you are using 2X6 PT, why not just
get a 2X8 or 2X10 to cover the last 2 pieces.

badgolferman

Mikepier, 7/2/2005, 4:49:48 AM, wrote:

What deck boards are you using? If you are using 2X6 PT, why not just
get a 2X8 or 2X10 to cover the last 2 pieces.

The deck boards are 1X5 5/8 with rounded edges.

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
Edwin Pawlowski

If the boards are typical deck boards with a rounded edge you don't
want to rip it unless you can round the edge again. If you can't do
that, put the ripped edge to the outside.

Why to the outside? Is there an advantage to that? Surely not looks?

Surely it IS looks. Look at he space between the boards. Note the rounded
edges. Now rip a board and put it in it's place. See how ugly it looks by
comparison. If the ripped edge is on the outside, it will not be next to
another board for the visual difference. . Yes, it is all about looks. if
you have a router and can put the round over back on, it will make no
difference.

Kevin Ricks

"badgolferman" wrote in message
I'm building my first deck and have reached the last two deck floor
boards. I have a choice between ripping the second to last board or
the very last one. Either way the last board will have to be cut
around the vertical posts. The rip cut would be less than 2 inches.
Which would you do?

I built a deck with EON (plastic deck boards). A tip in the instructions
said that if you can't fit the last deck board then just 'sister' onto the
last joist board to extend the deck so that the last deck board fits without
ripping. In your case maybe another 2x + 1/2 inch of something else to give
you 2 more inches.
Kevin

badgolferman

Edwin Pawlowski, 7/2/2005, 9:02:36 AM, wrote:

If the boards are typical deck boards with a rounded edge you
don't want to rip it unless you can round the edge again. If
you can't do that, put the ripped edge to the outside.

Why to the outside? Is there an advantage to that? Surely not
looks?

Surely it IS looks. Look at he space between the boards. Note the
rounded edges. Now rip a board and put it in it's place. See how
ugly it looks by comparison. If the ripped edge is on the outside,
it will not be next to another board for the visual difference. .
Yes, it is all about looks. if you have a router and can put the
round over back on, it will make no difference.

I ended up putting two full boards and have 1.5 inches overhang. It
ended up okay. Thanks fellas.

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
Edwin Pawlowski

"badgolferman" wrote in message
I ended up putting two full boards and have 1.5 inches overhang. It
ended up okay. Thanks fellas.

That works. If it is in an area where people can walk, put some support
under it. If it is under the railing, it should be OK just as is.

Deck Damage Emergency Michael Roback Home Ownership 2 May 31st 05 05:48 PM
Deck Damage Emergency Michael Roback Home Repair 7 May 29th 05 03:06 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Deck Decision Help peter Woodworking 8 July 21st 03 05:36 PM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Emily Lattella Home Repair 2 July 16th 03 08:07 PM