Tim Fischer

Default Proper way to flash ledger board under patio door

Hi all,

Another question from our deck project: When attaching the ledger board, I
understand it's a good idea (code, even) to use a Z-flashing over the
ledger. I've checked a number of books and they all discuss how to tuck it
up under the existing siding, etc. and that's no problem.

The problem is, none of these books discuss what to do under the patio door.
The flashing I bought has about a 3" flange on it, and there's only about 1"
between the top of the ledger and the bottom of the patio door threshold
(this was to place the deck at the same height as the old deck, since I
can't match the siding, etc, and didn't want to leave big holes).

Do I just trim the flashing to fit? Somehow tuck it under the door (there's
some space...)? If you've seen my other thread, we had major water damage
from the old installation, so I definitely want to prevent it again.

Thanks,
-Tim

Look for Pan Flashing.
It goes under the sill.

Don't just "tuck the flasing under the siding".
It should go under the weather barrier ( building paper or house wrap)
..
This directs water that gets through the siding and moves down the face
of the weather barrier back out. I help prepare testimony for expert
witnesses in residential building failures and this turns up a lot.
TB

RicodJour

Tim Fischer wrote:
[...]

Usually there are two pieces of flashing. One for the ledger and
another that covers it and goes under the door.

Here are a few examples:
http://tinyurl.com/amlyu
http://tinyurl.com/ar6gp
http://tinyurl.com/d8ee3