Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike Hartigan

Default Filter pump ran dry - need replacement

One of the hoses on my filter failed last night and this morning I
found the water level just below the skimmer. I brought the water
level back where it belongs, crossed my fingers, and turned on the
pump. Motor runs fine, but, not unexpectedly, the pump is shot. I
considered replacing or repairing just the pump but I figured that
this unit is seven years old and the motor will likely need replacing
soon anyway, so why not just replace the motor/pump? They're more
widely available in that configuration anyway, and it'll be cheaper
than replacing them individually a year or so apart.

Two questions:

1. After seven years, does it make sense to replace them both now, or
is this overkill?

2. What's the difference between an 'in-ground' and an 'above
ground' pump? Is it strictly a matter of size/capacity?

3. (ok, I actually have three questions) This is a Doughboy Power Pak
II pump. In terms of durability/reliability, how does the Doughboy
pump that died compare with some of the other brands on the market?
Should I buy another Doughboy pump?

Thanks,
Mike