Default Problems with used water softner

I wanted to buy a Kenmore water softner, but ended up getting a used
one from Culligan against my better judgement. My brother also lives
there and he was adament about getting a Culligan brand for their good
reputation. We could not afford new, so got a used one.

Their machine never did work properly. We had them in monthly at least
from the starting point. They would go down for about 5-10 minutes,
then it was fixed for about another 2-4 weeks. Now that the warranty
is up, they are charging me 130$ + taxes to come do their 5-10 minute
whatever it is they do. They told me they had to fix a piston, or
reset the backwash, alternating the story every 2nd time they come.
They replaced the iron out as faulty at some point.

I think I'm getting ripped off here, and don't think there is anything
legal I can do rectify the situation as it is a "used" unit. I was
hoping to get some opinions on that(even some links to info or books),
and if not, then maybe some good ways to get even with companies that
do this sort of thing. I think Culligan IS a good company, but this
particular branch is not doing their name justice.

Thank you,

Zack Johnson