Mike

Default How to Thin Latex Paint?

What is the best liquid to use for thinning latex paint?
I read someplace not to use water to do this.

Thanks,
Mike

bc

"Mike" wrote in news:dw4ve.1995$Uc2.1241@trnddc03:

What is the best liquid to use for thinning latex paint?
I read someplace not to use water to do this.

Thanks,
Mike

I never had problems using water, but it depends on
the kind of paint etc. What do the directions on
the can say?
SteveB

"Mike" wrote in message
What is the best liquid to use for thinning latex paint?
I read someplace not to use water to do this.

Thanks,
Mike

I use a product that is called Flotec, I believe. It is available at Home
Depot. It thins, but also makes it flow on with a LOT (LOT!) less brush
marks and stipple. You can add a tad of water, but be careful. This
Flotec(I think that is it, will make sure tomorrow when I look in my shop)
is GOOD stuff.

Or, at least that has been my experience.

Steve

siralfred

Did you mean Floetrol?

siralfred

It really depends on what the purpose of thinning it is. Has it
thickened 'cause the can wasn't closed properly?

Edwin Pawlowski

"siralfred" wrote in message
oups.com...
It really depends on what the purpose of thinning it is. Has it
thickened 'cause the can wasn't closed properly?

You asked the question, now why not tell us what to do about that situation.

m Ransley

Regular latex house paints are water base, mostly water, so water thins
them fine. Floetrol can be used to actualy make them brush easier but is
expensive and not necessary. The difference between many cheap lines of
one company and their top line can be just water %. A trick to getting
cheap paint to cover can be leaving the top off a 5 and letting water
evaporate for a few days to weeks, stiring every day. So where you read
water is not the right thinner for latex house paint is pure BS

Mike

I believe it thickened because the lid was left off for too long.

Mike

"siralfred" wrote in message
oups.com...
It really depends on what the purpose of thinning it is. Has it
thickened 'cause the can wasn't closed properly?

Mike

Several months ago, I read a very good article on painting in This Old House
magazine that recommended not using
water to thin paint. I don't remember what product they recommended for
thinning paint.

Mike

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
What is the best liquid to use for thinning latex paint?
I read someplace not to use water to do this.

Thanks,
Mike

I use a product that is called Flotec, I believe. It is available at Home
Depot. It thins, but also makes it flow on with a LOT (LOT!) less brush
marks and stipple. You can add a tad of water, but be careful. This
Flotec(I think that is it, will make sure tomorrow when I look in my shop)
is GOOD stuff.

Or, at least that has been my experience.

Steve

Hound Dog

"Mike" wrote in message
What is the best liquid to use for thinning latex paint?
I read someplace not to use water to do this.

Thanks,
Mike

How did Barnum put it?

One born every...

m Ransley

Yea I heard diluting whiskey with water is bad, so I drink it straight,
those whiskey thinners cost to much.

Hopkins

I never thin if the only point is to make it stretch. See it all the
time in new construction. go buy another gallon.

If a can of paint is left open too long it skims over before it
thickens. Paint in a closed can that's been sitting a while will
thicken. If stirring doesn't thin it out I'll add a bit of water. Other
than that i don't use water.

I do use a latex paint additive (soemone said Floetrol) at times. Some
latexes set up quickly -- not good for the brush or the finished
product. A latex paint additive slows the dry time, so the finish will
smooth out something like oil-based does..

Luke

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 03:50:33 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

What is the best liquid to use for thinning latex paint?
I read someplace not to use water to do this.

I'm in the dry Southwest and depending on the paint, the (lack of)
humidity that day, and the project, I thin latex with water to extend
brush time. Amateurs and pros I've talked to here do the same.

--
Luke
"For bureaucratic reasons, we settled on one issue, weapons of mass
one reason everyone could agree on." -- Paul Wolfowitz, May 28, 2003
Mike

I bought the paint than tweleve months ago
used it than stored it 'til this year.

Mike

"Hopkins" wrote in message
oups.com...
I never thin if the only point is to make it stretch. See it all the
time in new construction. go buy another gallon.

If a can of paint is left open too long it skims over before it
thickens. Paint in a closed can that's been sitting a while will
thicken. If stirring doesn't thin it out I'll add a bit of water. Other
than that i don't use water.

I do use a latex paint additive (soemone said Floetrol) at times. Some
latexes set up quickly -- not good for the brush or the finished
product. A latex paint additive slows the dry time, so the finish will
smooth out something like oil-based does..

Luke

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:49:06 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 03:50:33 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

What is the best liquid to use for thinning latex paint?
I read someplace not to use water to do this.

Thanks,
Mike

BEER !!!!!!

Then spend the evenings licking the walls???

--
Luke

m Ransley

drink the beer pee in the paint

one reason everyone could agree on." -- Paul Wolfowitz, May 28, 2003

Harry K

Mike wrote:
OK, seems water is used by just about everybody.

Mike

snip

Ya think? Could it be because that is what it says on the can? At
least it has on every can I have bought.

Harry K

Gort

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 03:50:33 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

What is the best liquid to use for thinning latex paint?
I read someplace not to use water to do this.

Thanks,
Mike

BEER !!!!!!

Hey, hold on there! Beer has a much higher calling than to be used
that way.

Or did you mean used beer?

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.
Hopkins

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. The paint thickens, something
along the lines of pudding, and sometimes just stirring it up will
bring it back to normal.