Default drain pipe, holes up or down?

What kind of corrugated plastic pipe would you put behind a retaining wall?
Slitted or with holes, if with holes, would the holes go up or down? And
what about fabric sleeves vs. burying the pipe under gravel wrapped with
landscape fabric? I've heard every combination of answers. What's your
answer, and why? Can you give a link to reliable info? Thx.

Rudy

What kind of corrugated plastic pipe would you put behind a retaining
wall?

I'd use the white PVC (3" or 4") with the holes drilled in it. I dont like
the black corrugated stuff (Big "O" pipe). I ve seen it collapsed.
Around here, they sell a filter paper of sorts thats placed over the gravel
above the pipe to keep the dirt/fines from working its way down to the pipe.
Thats what all the builders go with around here.

Vic Dura

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:00:05 GMT, in alt.home.repair drain pipe,
holes up or down? "B" wrote:

What kind of corrugated plastic pipe would you put behind a retaining wall?
Slitted or with holes, if with holes, would the holes go up or down? And
what about fabric sleeves vs. burying the pipe under gravel wrapped with
landscape fabric? I've heard every combination of answers. What's your
answer, and why? Can you give a link to reliable info? Thx.

White PVC with holes facing down so water doesn't have to get 3" deep
to enter pipe. Fabric sleave *with* gravel to provide extra protecton
for holes from becoming clogged.

Robert Allison

holes up or down? "B" wrote:

What kind of corrugated plastic pipe would you put behind a retaining wall?
Slitted or with holes, if with holes, would the holes go up or down? And
what about fabric sleeves vs. burying the pipe under gravel wrapped with
landscape fabric? I've heard every combination of answers. What's your
answer, and why? Can you give a link to reliable info? Thx.

White PVC with holes facing down so water doesn't have to get 3" deep
to enter pipe. Fabric sleave *with* gravel to provide extra protecton
for holes from becoming clogged.

Exactly right. I do add another layer of fabric around the
gravel (and you need to use drain rock or river rock). So to
summarize;

Lay a sheet of filter fabric in the bottom of the trench.
Fill with 1-2" of 1-1/2" drain rock. Lay your pipe (holes
down) in the center of the trench with a sleeve of fabric
material around the pipe. Fill the trench with about 1-2' of
1-1/2" or larger rock. Cover with another sheet of filter
fabric and overlap the edges of the bottom sheet with the top
sheet. Cover with dirt.

Here is a pdf detail of a french drain:

http://ci.marysville.wa.us/publicwor...ge/4080006.pdf

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
CR

"B" wrote in message
m...
What kind of corrugated plastic pipe would you put behind a retaining

wall?
Slitted or with holes, if with holes, would the holes go up or down? And
what about fabric sleeves vs. burying the pipe under gravel wrapped with
landscape fabric? I've heard every combination of answers. What's your
answer, and why? Can you give a link to reliable info? Thx.

As said by others, PVC holes down. My reason for PVC over the corrugated
pipe is that sometime in the future you may have to run something up the
line to clean it out. If you have to remove roots the cutter tool will come
out with chunks of black corrugated pipe as well as the roots.

CR