Robert Allison

Vic Dura wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:00:05 GMT, in alt.home.repair drain pipe,
holes up or down? "B" wrote:

What kind of corrugated plastic pipe would you put behind a retaining wall?
Slitted or with holes, if with holes, would the holes go up or down? And
what about fabric sleeves vs. burying the pipe under gravel wrapped with
landscape fabric? I've heard every combination of answers. What's your
answer, and why? Can you give a link to reliable info? Thx.

White PVC with holes facing down so water doesn't have to get 3" deep
to enter pipe. Fabric sleave *with* gravel to provide extra protecton
for holes from becoming clogged.

Exactly right. I do add another layer of fabric around the
gravel (and you need to use drain rock or river rock). So to
summarize;

Lay a sheet of filter fabric in the bottom of the trench.
Fill with 1-2" of 1-1/2" drain rock. Lay your pipe (holes
down) in the center of the trench with a sleeve of fabric
material around the pipe. Fill the trench with about 1-2' of
1-1/2" or larger rock. Cover with another sheet of filter
fabric and overlap the edges of the bottom sheet with the top
sheet. Cover with dirt.

Here is a pdf detail of a french drain:

http://ci.marysville.wa.us/publicwor...ge/4080006.pdf

--