Mike Norris

Default Need advice on covering shower drain pipe in floor

I am in the process of reclaiming some space in our utility room which
has meant removal of an old shower cubicle which we never use
(previous owners used it for their dogs!)

This means that I need to cover over the old drain pipe which is a
vertical plastic waste pipe in the concrete floor, which goes to a
gulley somewhere under the rest of the concrete floor in this utility
room. At the moment in extends about 4 inches into the air, but
obviously I can cut this down to floor level.

Qustions are
Would it be safe just putting some concrete down this pipe, as there
must be a bend somewhere just below the surface?
Should I cap it off with something and then concrete over that? I need
to cover it as the shower cubicle area is about half an inch lower
than the rest of the room.

The main points are that the whole of the room is a concrete floor
with quarry tiles over most of it. I was planning to level everywhere
to the same height as the quarry tiles and then lino the whole room.

Any suggestions from the most useful group on Usenet most welcome.
Grunff

Mike Norris wrote:
[...]

I'd plug it with a plug of polystyrene/cloth/whatever, then fill with a
small amount of sand/cement.

--
Grunff
Simon Avery

Mike Norris wrote:

Hello Mike

MN| Qustions are
MN| Would it be safe just putting some concrete down this pipe,
MN| as there must be a bend somewhere just below the
MN| surface? Should I cap it off with something and then

Don't pour concrete down without first wedging something a few inches
down to block it. A bundle of rags rammed into place is ok - but DO
check it's not a straight drop into your 4" sewer outlet, and if it
takes more cement that you thought, don't keep piling it in.

MN| concrete over that? I need to cover it as the shower cubicle
MN| area is about half an inch lower than the rest of the room.

Why not just cover the hole with a thin piece of board then fill the
whole depression?

MN| The main points are that the whole of the room is a concrete
MN| floor with quarry tiles over most of it. I was planning to
MN| level everywhere to the same height as the quarry tiles and
MN| then lino the whole room.

Lino over quarry tiles? Not my choice...

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Mike Norris

Lino over quarry tiles? Not my choice...

Not really mine either, but I can't think of anything else that is
relatively easy or relatively cheap.

Floor area isn't flat enough for laminate, nor really suitable
(washing machines, doors either end to gardens etc)

I could tile over the whole lot again, but to be honest the tiles make
the room very cold in winter, so I thought lino would give a bit of
warmth and soften it all slightly, while at the same time be
practical.

I'd welcome any other suggestions, though, and thanks for the advice
so far.

Drain for bath through tiled floor BigWallop UK diy 1 September 5th 03 07:13 PM
Routing waste pipe past shower tray Mike Barnes UK diy 5 September 4th 03 01:12 PM
shower drain for tiled shower floor g UK diy 3 September 2nd 03 01:55 AM
wet room shower drain g UK diy 5 September 1st 03 01:19 PM
Connecting jets, shower arm direct to pipe Kevin Murphy UK diy 7 July 15th 03 11:10 PM