Norminn

Default Piano Hinges - Better, Best and WOW That Costs a Lot

jim evans wrote:
I need about 10 inches of piano hinge. It needs to operate freely --
hinge with little friction/binding/resistance.

I've been shopping these hinges and I find something I don't
understand. I find identical appearing hinges by the same
manufacturer in the same packaging and with what seem to be the same
words on the package, which come in three prices. Cheapest, 2 x and
4x. What is the difference in these hinges that all look alike but
range in cost by a factor of 4?

jim

Solid brass vs plated? Old inventory vs newer?

Tony Hwang

Norminn wrote:

jim evans wrote:

I need about 10 inches of piano hinge. It needs to operate freely --
hinge with little friction/binding/resistance.

I've been shopping these hinges and I find something I don't
understand. I find identical appearing hinges by the same
manufacturer in the same packaging and with what seem to be the same
words on the package, which come in three prices. Cheapest, 2 x and
4x. What is the difference in these hinges that all look alike but
range in cost by a factor of 4?

jim

Solid brass vs plated? Old inventory vs newer?

Hi,
Old inventroy(made in U.S.) new inventory(made in China)?
Good quality poiano hinge is always expensive.
Tony
RicodJour

jim evans wrote:
I need about 10 inches of piano hinge. It needs to operate freely --
hinge with little friction/binding/resistance.

I've been shopping these hinges and I find something I don't
understand. I find identical appearing hinges by the same
manufacturer in the same packaging and with what seem to be the same
words on the package, which come in three prices. Cheapest, 2 x and
4x. What is the difference in these hinges that all look alike but
range in cost by a factor of 4?

Where were the various hinges offered for sale?

Edwin Pawlowski

"jim evans" wrote in message

There were both brass and chrome plated versions of each hinge.

First you said they were identical, now you say they are different.

It would help to give a manufacturer or model or something to go on. Hinges
do come in different qualities and can look similar at a distance. Metal
thickness, plated versus solid,

A bright nickel plated hinge can be 50% more than bright brass plated, but
solid brass will top them all.

G Henslee

jim evans wrote:
On 24 Jun 2005 19:11:28 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

jim evans wrote:

I need about 10 inches of piano hinge. It needs to operate freely --
hinge with little friction/binding/resistance.

I've been shopping these hinges and I find something I don't
understand. I find identical appearing hinges by the same
manufacturer in the same packaging and with what seem to be the same
words on the package, which come in three prices. Cheapest, 2 x and
4x. What is the difference in these hinges that all look alike but
range in cost by a factor of 4?

Where were the various hinges offered for sale?

I've seen this situation at some online stores, but the specific case
I was referring to was at Lowe's.

jim

I would have asked Lowes.

Rick

"jim evans" wrote in message

I need about 10 inches of piano hinge. It needs to operate

freely --
hinge with little friction/binding/resistance.

I've been shopping these hinges and I find something I don't
understand. I find identical appearing hinges by the same
manufacturer in the same packaging and with what seem to be the same
words on the package, which come in three prices. Cheapest, 2 x and
4x. What is the difference in these hinges that all look alike but
range in cost by a factor of 4?

jim

Well, let's see-of the 30" long piano hinges they have in the Detroit
area sto

one is 1-1/16" wide, steel with brass or nickel plate $6.66
one is 1-1/2" wide, steel with brass or nickel plate $7.83
one is 1-1/2" wide, stainless steel
$18.96

The shorter hinges follow a similar pattern. So, except for the width
and the material, they are identical, just like you said...

G Henslee

Rick wrote:
"jim evans" wrote in message

What is the difference in these hinges that all look alike but
range in cost by a factor of 4?

jim

Well, let's see-of the 30" long piano hinges they have in the Detroit
area sto

one is 1-1/16" wide, steel with brass or nickel plate $6.66
one is 1-1/2" wide, steel with brass or nickel plate $7.83
one is 1-1/2" wide, stainless steel
$18.96

The shorter hinges follow a similar pattern. So, except for the width
and the material, they are identical, just like you said...

The mystery of the ages has been solved!
Rick

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Rick wrote:
"jim evans" wrote in message

What is the difference in these hinges that all look alike but
range in cost by a factor of 4?

jim

Well, let's see-of the 30" long piano hinges they have in the

Detroit
area sto

one is 1-1/16" wide, steel with brass or nickel plate $6.66
one is 1-1/2" wide, steel with brass or nickel plate $7.83
one is 1-1/2" wide, stainless steel
$18.96

The shorter hinges follow a similar pattern. So, except for the

width
and the material, they are identical, just like you said...

The mystery of the ages has been solved!

Well, I could see how it could be confusing-the material was listed on
the BACK of the package....

Edwin Pawlowski

"jim evans" wrote in message
To repeat what I said:

"I find identical appearing hinges by the same manufacturer in the
same packaging and with what seem to be the same words on the package,
which come in three prices."

Ok, they all look alike except the ones that are different

The chrome plated hinges appear identical and the brass hinges appear
identical.

Oh goody, you've added some clarification. It would help if you also told us
the store, the manufacturer, a model number, or something solid to comment
on or search out. Brass plated versus solid brass for instance makes a huge
difference in cost. Nickel plated versus stainless steel. Not knowing what
you looked at, I can't go beyond a guess.

Duane Bozarth

jim evans wrote:

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:46:22 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

Solid brass vs plated? Old inventory vs newer?

There were both brass and chrome plated versions of each hinge.

I don't think it could be an old vs new inventory issue because each
had a different number with it's own bin.

So post go to the manufacturer web site and look up the number...I
strongly suspect there is a difference if the manufacturer went to the
trouble to identify them as such...
G Henslee

Rick wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

Rick wrote:

"jim evans" wrote in message

What is the difference in these hinges that all look alike but
range in cost by a factor of 4?

jim

Well, let's see-of the 30" long piano hinges they have in the

Detroit

area sto

one is 1-1/16" wide, steel with brass or nickel plate $6.66
one is 1-1/2" wide, steel with brass or nickel plate $7.83
one is 1-1/2" wide, stainless steel
$18.96

The shorter hinges follow a similar pattern. So, except for the

width

and the material, they are identical, just like you said...

The mystery of the ages has been solved!

Well, I could see how it could be confusing-the material was listed on
the BACK of the package....

You mean he could have looked at the package and known this??
Tim Fischer

wrote in message

There is a good chance that some or all are made by the same
manufacturer.

Wow, same packaging, with identical wording, by the same manufacturer? WOW
That's very insightful!

Next you're going to tell me that my neighbors flag, which looks a whole lot
like mine (stars, red and white stripes, etc) is actually symbolizing the
SAME COUNTRY as mine!

-Tim