Beachcomber

Default Best Power Saw for Cutting Steel?

I need to dispose of a treadmill that is mostly composed of hollow
steel pipes and channels, mostly welded together. The recyclers
don't want a treadmill in it's assembled state plus it's very
difficult to move at the moment.

To cut it up, I'm thinking of renting a reciprocating saw, similar to
the ones used by plumbers to cut steel pipes.

Alternatively, I could use a welding torch, but I have no experience
with welding, plus I would have to rent or buy the equipment.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good power saw or perhaps some
other method for doing this?

Beachcomber

G Henslee

Beachcomber wrote:
I need to dispose of a treadmill that is mostly composed of hollow
steel pipes and channels, mostly welded together.

Beachcomber

This may be way too obvious, but have you tried giving it away - they
haul? An adv. in the paper would be cheaper than renting a saw or torch
set and spending several frustrating hours trying to cut it up, followed
by hauling to the recycelr for a few bucks.
Pagan

"Beachcomber" wrote in message
.. .

I need to dispose of a treadmill that is mostly composed of hollow
steel pipes and channels, mostly welded together. The recyclers
don't want a treadmill in it's assembled state plus it's very
difficult to move at the moment.

To cut it up, I'm thinking of renting a reciprocating saw, similar to
the ones used by plumbers to cut steel pipes.

Alternatively, I could use a welding torch, but I have no experience
with welding, plus I would have to rent or buy the equipment.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good power saw or perhaps some
other method for doing this?

You could try to donate it.

If not, I suggest a circular saw with a cut-off wheel.

I've used both when disposing of a large amount of heavy galvanized pipe and
rebar, and the circular saw is much quicker and cheaper.

I went through quite a few blades with the reciprocating saw, but only one
cut-off wheel, and the wheel was 1/3 the price.

Make sure you haul the thing outside, whatever you do.

Pagan

Hi, I don't want to sound like a wise ass here but why not use a
hacksaw?

OK, I know it takes a small amount of effort but a hacksaw is a really
good tool.

Lewis.

barbarow

Use an abrasive "cut off" wheel in your circular saw.

But, wear gloves and goggles as there is a lot of debris and sparks when it
is grinding through.
"Beachcomber" wrote in message
.. .

I need to dispose of a treadmill that is mostly composed of hollow
steel pipes and channels, mostly welded together. The recyclers
don't want a treadmill in it's assembled state plus it's very
difficult to move at the moment.

To cut it up, I'm thinking of renting a reciprocating saw, similar to
the ones used by plumbers to cut steel pipes.

Alternatively, I could use a welding torch, but I have no experience
with welding, plus I would have to rent or buy the equipment.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good power saw or perhaps some
other method for doing this?

Beachcomber

Stormin Mormon

Log on to Harbor Freight, and buy a recip saw (watch the ads, they go on
sale for $20 now and again). get some metal cutting or demolition blades
from the local store. Keep the saw when you're finished.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Beachcomber" wrote in message
.. .

I need to dispose of a treadmill that is mostly composed of hollow
steel pipes and channels, mostly welded together. The recyclers
don't want a treadmill in it's assembled state plus it's very
difficult to move at the moment.

To cut it up, I'm thinking of renting a reciprocating saw, similar to
the ones used by plumbers to cut steel pipes.

Alternatively, I could use a welding torch, but I have no experience
with welding, plus I would have to rent or buy the equipment.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good power saw or perhaps some
other method for doing this?

Beachcomber

Stormin Mormon

No one going to suggest he call a hvac HACK and have it done for him?

Hacksaw is a good idea, but will take longer. If you go with the hacksaw,
please buy "Shatterproof" blades, which are less likely to snap in half.

The cheap blades from Harbor Freight are no bargain, either. They bend and
the teeth wear off.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus