Dale

Default Manual vacuum?

I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Dale

Andy Hill

Dale wrote:
I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Most waterbed repair kits come with a little gizmo that will create a siphon
from running water. Used to be commonly available at K-Mart, Wally World,
etc., if you could find someone who knew where they were stocked. You'd want a
pretty good screen over than intake to keep 'er from clogging up 'tho.
Walter R.

Just submerge the garden hose until it is full with water, or fill it from a
hose bib. Leave one end of the hose in your pond, close the other end with
your palm or a plastic shut-off and lower it to the drainage area so that
the hose-end is below the water level in the pool. It will drain the pool.
(no sucking necessary)

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Dale" wrote in message
I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't
there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty
healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Dale

zxcvbob

Dale wrote:
I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Dale

It's called a "pump". ;-) Probably a dirty-water pump, although you
could use a clear-water pump if you have a good strainer on the suction
tube.

I would just use a siphon if possible and let it run for a long time.

Best regards,
Bob
Duane Bozarth

Dale wrote:

I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Many septic suckers actually just hook up a bypass valve to the manifold
vacuum of their truck. Simple, cheap, effective...

Dale

I knew it was a pump ;-) but I thought there was a crank-like siphon that
could be attached at the end of the hose to get a really good vacuum going.
As it is, I'm draining about a gallon a week. Maybe I just need to go and
rent a sump pump.

Dale wrote:
I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Dale

It's called a "pump". ;-) Probably a dirty-water pump, although you
could use a clear-water pump if you have a good strainer on the suction
tube.

I would just use a siphon if possible and let it run for a long time.

Best regards,
Bob

Goedjn

I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Drill-pump. Attaches to your hand drill. At most hardware stores.

YOu'll probably want a bungie cord or clamp the keep the trigger
pulled, it will take forever.
Andy Hill

Dale wrote:
I knew it was a pump ;-) but I thought there was a crank-like siphon that
could be attached at the end of the hose to get a really good vacuum going.
As it is, I'm draining about a gallon a week. Maybe I just need to go and
rent a sump pump.

If you rent a pump, make sure you rent one that can handle lots of solids (they
exist, but ya gotta ask). Most pumps get downright cranky if there is a lot of
gunk in the water.
Dan Espen

Dale wrote:
I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Pool cover pumps can do 800 gallons in 1 or 2 hours.
(The pumps are rated for GPH.)

They're reasonalby cheap and resist clogging.
Duane Bozarth

Dale wrote:

I knew it was a pump ;-) but I thought there was a crank-like siphon that
could be attached at the end of the hose to get a really good vacuum going.
As it is, I'm draining about a gallon a week. Maybe I just need to go and
rent a sump pump.

The driving potential is the height differential between the upper and
lower ends...the initial pressure drop is immaterial to subsequent flow
rate. The problem is a garden hose is such small diameter you're losing
it all in friction losses, most likely.

Dan Espen

Dan Espen writes:

Dale wrote:
I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Pool cover pumps can do 800 gallons in 1 or 2 hours.
(The pumps are rated for GPH.)

They're reasonalby cheap and resist clogging.

I should have mentioned, they are designed to work with your
garden hose.
George E. Cawthon

Dale wrote:
I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Dale

Yes but you'll run 8000 gallons (minimum) to drain
the 800 gallons out and only if you have a very
load elevation change. Even one of those little
pump gizmos (about $10) to put on a drill would
more much better. (Forget this idea.)

What you need is a pump, a real pump, maybe a
sump pump would be the way to go.
George E. Cawthon

zxcvbob wrote:
Dale wrote:

I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't
there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty
healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Dale

It's called a "pump". ;-) Probably a dirty-water pump, although you
could use a clear-water pump if you have a good strainer on the suction
tube.

I would just use a siphon if possible and let it run for a long time.

Best regards,
Bob

What makes you think his pond is at a higher
elevation that where he wants the water to go?
Bennett Price

For a siphon to work, the discharge end of the hose must be lower than
the intake end. If you can arrange that, just fill a hose with water,
keep the discharge end sealed until you dunk the intake side into the
pond, then open up the discharge end. (A hose sprayer can do the
sealing for you.)

Dale wrote:
I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

Dale

cowboy

Walter is correct

SIPHON IT

REAL men siphon, yuppie metrosexuals use pumps!

PaPaPeng

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:53:32 -0700, Dale wrote:

I've got a small pond (800 gallons) that needs to be cleaned out. I won't
get into it, but I want to use a garden hose to drain the pond. Isn't there
some sort of gizmo that can be attached to a hose to create a pretty healthy
vacuum? Where can I get one? Thanks.

WalMart has a bilge - live bait tank (12 volt DC) pump for $20.
Garden hose size. Works great.

toller

"cowboy" wrote in message
Walter is correct

SIPHON IT

REAL men siphon, yuppie metrosexuals use pumps!

How do you siphon a pond? It is almost certain to be the lowest point
around.

Goedjn

What you need is a pump, a real pump, maybe a
sump pump would be the way to go.

Depends on the pond. If it's one of those
plastic lines ornamental ponds, a "real" pump
may pull enough water to damage it.