Old June 20th 05, 10:59 PM
Marty

Default Redwood Deck or Concrete Patio: What's Less Expensive?

Decision time. It's either a redwood deck or a concrete patio. Which one
is less expensive in your part of the USA?

Old June 20th 05, 11:01 PM
Marty

"Marty" wrote in message
news
Decision time. It's either a redwood deck or a concrete patio. Which one
is less expensive in your part of the USA?

Sorry, meant to add that we're talking about 350 square feet of patio or
deck space.

Old June 20th 05, 11:26 PM
SQLit

"Marty" wrote in message
news
Decision time. It's either a redwood deck or a concrete patio. Which one
is less expensive in your part of the USA?

On grade?
30 feet in the air?

In Phoenix on or near on grade is concrete. The maintenance of wood over the
years far out weights the installation cost.

Old June 21st 05, 12:57 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Marty" wrote in message
news
Decision time. It's either a redwood deck or a concrete patio. Which one
is less expensive in your part of the USA?

I don't have a clue about cost, but I'd never put a deck where I could have
a patio. Easier to maintain, no staining or waterproofing, spills easily
hosed off, never rots, no raccoons or skunks make a home under it, no guard
rails needed. Can't think of a single benefit of having a wood deck over
concrete on the ground.

Old June 21st 05, 12:57 AM

I'd go concrete.. texture and color if you want. Put down a good
foundation.

Wood looks nice for about a year.. then weathers.. and either you have
to cover it or care for it each season.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:06:41 GMT, "Marty" wrote:

"SQLit" wrote in message

news

Old June 21st 05, 06:03 AM
Des Perado

Yeah, go concrete. I am spending a lot of time and money this Summer
refurbishing my cedar deck. Not worth the time, effort or cost. Our last
house had a concrete patio and it took 5 minutes in the Spring to hose off
the Winter's dirt and we were ready for another Summer of outdoor enjoyment.
Des

news

Old June 21st 05, 04:41 PM

Marty wrote:
Decision time. It's either a redwood deck or a concrete patio. Which one
is less expensive in your part of the USA?

Concrete. But that's less expensive in terms of _my_ time and upkeep.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.
Old June 21st 05, 05:05 PM
Marty

wrote in message
Marty wrote:
Decision time. It's either a redwood deck or a concrete patio. Which
one
is less expensive in your part of the USA?

Concrete. But that's less expensive in terms of _my_ time and upkeep.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.
Ask me about joining the NRA.

Well, between your opinions and my finding how out how extensive the rotting
is in the substructureof the existing deck, and seeing a friends patio, I'm
going to switch the existing, but massively damaged redwood deck to a
concrete patio with color and possibly texture. It will still need a fence
around it to keep the dogs in their proper place.

Thanks

Old June 21st 05, 05:27 PM
Dan Espen

"Marty" writes:

wrote in message
Marty wrote:
Decision time. It's either a redwood deck or a concrete patio. Which
one
is less expensive in your part of the USA?

Concrete. But that's less expensive in terms of _my_ time and upkeep.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.
Ask me about joining the NRA.

Well, between your opinions and my finding how out how extensive the rotting
is in the substructureof the existing deck, and seeing a friends patio, I'm
going to switch the existing, but massively damaged redwood deck to a
concrete patio with color and possibly texture.

I see everyone recommending concrete and I wonder why.
I just replaced a concrete patio with pavers.

The concrete was very old (maybe 30 years) and the sections
had settled so that they no longer lined up. I saw no way
to repair them other than rent a jackhammer and have the pieces
hauled away.

I would imagine that my pavers will need some adjustments
after 30 years too. However with pavers, someone can just
lift them up, level the sand bed and put them back.
I'd guess those pavers are good for at least a hundred years.