Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default wiring up a brick wall

Greetings,

I have a row home (townhouse) which shares a common brick wall with the
neighboring house. The wall is coated with about 1/2" of mortar
followed by a skim coat of plaster and then 100 years of paint. I need
to install some outlets along the wall.

My plan was to trench out shallow trenches along the wall and into the
brick. I would install FMC (1/2") which would come almost to the
surface. I would then go back over with mortar, a skim coat of gypsum,
and paint. Larger holes would be knocked out for boxes (do I need to
use special in mortar boxes?).

Is there anything wrong with what I propose?
Example things that could be wrong (partial list)
a) Steel or Al FMC is not suitable.
b) The depth is not suitable.
c) I need to additionally derate the FMC and I don't know it.
d) I'm not allow to make holes in the fire wall big enough for the
boxes.
e) ...

Am I going about this properly? What other things do I need to
consider?

Thank you for your input,
William

PS: NO. I do not want to use surface mount if I can avoid it.