Julian

Default Concrete Pad with single brick wall on 3 sides

Hi all

At the back of our garden I am planning to build a concrete pad as a base
for a garden shed.

The ground rises a bit towards the back of the garden and we have had to
excavate in order to level the ground.

Consequesntly the concrete pad will need a wall on 3 sides to support the
earth behind it if you see what I mean.

The pad itselef will be about 8'by 6' which includes about a foot extra
width for the small wall on the 3 sides (shed is 7' x 5'). The wall willl
only be 4 bricks high.

To support the shed, I have read that no hardcore foundation is necessary
and the concrete should be about 3 inches thick. However I would think that
the wall will need a bit more support.

My qurestions are these; How should I approach this? Should I dig down a bit
further 1 foot from the edge on the 3 sides and put extra concrete in there
or will I be able to get away with 3 inches all over. Will I need any
expansion joints in the pad as well. If I should put some in where should I
put them.

This is my first attempt at doing this sort of thing and am quite looking
forward to the challenge.

TIA

Julian

Michael Mcneil

"Julian" wrote in message

At the back of our garden I am planning to build a concrete pad as a base
for a garden shed.

Why?

The ground rises a bit towards the back of the garden and we have had to
excavate in order to level the ground.

Why not just put it on blocks?

The pad itself will be about 8'by 6' which includes about a foot extra
width for the small wall on the 3 sides (shed is 7' x 5'). The wall will
only be 4 bricks high.

I never heard of a wall standing without foundations. Why not just
incorporate some stonework into the soil as a rockery? That should hold
it. Digging down 18" for a concrete foundation will use 4 more bricks.
And another 2 or 3 to accomodate the extra earth from the footing.

Julian

I might just do that in fact. I would have to build a subfloor though to
support the sheed however.
"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:4893b983816ee7821c4c1069e2f223a3.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Julian" wrote in message

At the back of our garden I am planning to build a concrete pad as a

base
for a garden shed.

Why?

The ground rises a bit towards the back of the garden and we have had to
excavate in order to level the ground.

Why not just put it on blocks?

The pad itself will be about 8'by 6' which includes about a foot extra
width for the small wall on the 3 sides (shed is 7' x 5'). The wall will
only be 4 bricks high.

I never heard of a wall standing without foundations. Why not just
incorporate some stonework into the soil as a rockery? That should hold
it. Digging down 18" for a concrete foundation will use 4 more bricks.
And another 2 or 3 to accomodate the extra earth from the footing.

Michael McNeil

"Julian" wrote in message

I might just do that in fact. I would have to build a subfloor though to
support the sheed however.

You didn't say in your first post that it was going to be a female shed.
That alters things considerably as they are likely to be used by the
women in the family and as such subject to major mood swings and various
other unmentionable practices that in male sheds are normally shed.

She-eds require enormous amounts of support, not least emotionally.