Default best cleaner for cruddy porcelein tub?

I have a cast iron tub in the grandmother swete of my house that I
rent. The last tennent apparently did not clean it for 4 years and it
has a solid over lay of brown crud on it. The tub is nearing the end
of its useful service due to worn porcelein. I do not want to tear it
the tile etc out yet. What is the best way/chemicals to use to clean
it.
Thanks
Stan
Steve B.

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 14:40:13 -0400, " uriah wrote:

I have a cast iron tub in the grandmother swete of my house that I
rent. The last tennent apparently did not clean it for 4 years and it
has a solid over lay of brown crud on it. The tub is nearing the end
of its useful service due to worn porcelein. I do not want to tear it
the tile etc out yet. What is the best way/chemicals to use to clean
it.
Thanks
Stan

Comet and elbow grease.

Steve B.
Edwin Pawlowski

uriah wrote in message ...
I have a cast iron tub in the grandmother swete of my house that I
rent. The last tennent apparently did not clean it for 4 years and it
has a solid over lay of brown crud on it. The tub is nearing the end
of its useful service due to worn porcelein. I do not want to tear it
the tile etc out yet. What is the best way/chemicals to use to clean
it.
Thanks
Stan

Fill the tub with water and some bleach. Next day, empty and scrub.

You probably have a build up of soap scum and hard water deposits. I
used a razor blade and scraped most of that off an old tub - then you
can run water in it and mix in some white vinegar and let it soak. You
can scrub with those foam rubber sponges with scrubbers on one side.
Clorox will kill any mildew.

MOM PEAGRAM

"Broncearse" wrote in message
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

uriah wrote in message
I have a cast iron tub in the grandmother swete of my house that I
rent. The last tennent apparently did not clean it for 4 years and
it has a solid over lay of brown crud on it. The tub is nearing the
end of its useful service due to worn porcelein. I do not want to
tear it the tile etc out yet. What is the best way/chemicals to use
to clean it.
Thanks
Stan

Fill the tub with water and some bleach. Next day, empty and scrub.

Make sure you open the window if you use bleach. Once I was almost

knocked
over from the fumes. A nice cleaner is KaBoom because there aren't heavy
fumes.

I agree. I have just started using Kaboom and it works super!

Stormin Mormon

I've had good luck with Simple Green, and a nylon scrubbie. Less fumes than
bleach. Just a cheap root beer barrel aroma.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

uriah wrote in message ...
I have a cast iron tub in the grandmother swete of my house that I
rent. The last tennent apparently did not clean it for 4 years and it
has a solid over lay of brown crud on it. The tub is nearing the end
of its useful service due to worn porcelein. I do not want to tear it
the tile etc out yet. What is the best way/chemicals to use to clean
it.
Thanks
Stan

Adding an electronic air cleaner to my return air duct Daniel Prince Home Repair 0 December 17th 04 08:21 PM
better - DEOXIT, RIDOX, SUPER CONTACT CLEANER, WD40 or.. Jack Blake Electronics Repair 1 September 4th 04 11:27 PM
Pool cleaner floating Mike Home Repair 2 May 5th 04 02:44 PM
Kenmore (Sears) Water Softener Cleaner -- How often? L. Dwynn Lafleur Home Repair 4 January 25th 04 07:28 AM
Hayward Navigator pool cleaner gets stuck at steps Pond Scum Home Repair 2 July 31st 03 05:10 PM