Default Shading windows from summer sun

I'm looking for advice on how to temporarily shade a few windows each
year that primarily face S/SW. I was thinking of the pros/cons of
putting a tree in the front (obviously this would take awhile),
awnings, and solar window screens. The screens appear to be the most
flexible option from the standpoint that I could remove them in the
winter to take advantage of the sun, or for a particularly windy day
(I'm in the NE).

I'd like to ask if anyone has experience with the solar window screens?
Do they reduce the amount of heat enough that would make it worth the
price (I've seen some for $175, custom fitted)?

If so, a popular option that I've seen on the web are the 'DIY' kits.
Are these worth the effort for someone with basic skills or is it just
as easy to assemble the project materials yourself?

Are there any special tools or other expenses that I would need to
consider that would not be necessary with the typical kits?

Thank you,
Dave

Kyle Boatright

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

A deciduous tree is my long term recommendation. It would provide shade to
much more than the windows. I'm not familiar with the screens, etc. that
would give you immediate relief.

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 14 Jun 2005 05:57:33p, wrote in alt.home.repair:

[...]

We're in a radically different climate, the desert SW, but we wouldn't be
without the solar screens. I can't give you a percentage, but there is a
very noticable difference in the heat load. Of course, in our climate we
run the A/C 24/7 almost half the year, but our electric bills clearly went
down after the screens were installed. Custom made screens for the entire
house cost less than $400.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

My folks had those screens installed around '75 and they are still
going strong. Not sure how much it cost way back then. The front of
their house had a west exposure and the rooms really got hot even with
the ac running. After the install, they drastically reduced the heat.

For myself, I installed the solar film on my storm windows facing
west. It was well worth the cost and effort (diy) to do so. If you
go this route, just be careful and meticulous when you apply the film.
It is probably the cheapest solution. I remove the storm windows in
the winter to take advantage of the heating.

On 14 Jun 2005 17:57:33 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Rudy

I'm looking for advice on how to temporarily shade a few windows each
year that primarily face S/SW.

We use 6X6' roll down white plastic shades (hung outside the windows) from
Lowes/HomeDepot. Cheap..About $ 11.00 each.
Theyre similar to the split bamboo kind but are like long flat white plastic
soda-straw material
Roll em down early AM and then up about 2PM when the sun swings around.

Not the best solution but works well keeping the heat out til I decide on
some other application. A neighbor has been using theirs for years

BoborAnn

I went the route of the solar film in my prior house to protect furniture
and carpeting and was very pleased with the results I had a 3200 ft house in
MA done professionally for $1400 or $55 a window .Dramatic improvement in
need for AC was a plus Later found that you can DIY but the materials aren't
generally sold this far north.Just got some shipped in and plan on doing
selected windows on my new home
I could ship you a sample if your only looking at one window
Bob

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Nick Pine

I'm looking for advice on how to temporarily shade a few windows each
year that primarily face S/SW...

You might consider an overhang that blocks high-angle summer sun (with
a 90-lat+22.5 elevation) and admits low-angle (90-lat-22.5) winter sun.

I'd like to ask if anyone has experience with the solar window screens?
Do they reduce the amount of heat enough that would make it worth the
price (I've seen some for $175, custom fitted)?

Wow. You might look into wide rolls of plastic "greenhouse shadecloth"
which blocks up to 100% sun. I use 80% shadecloth at 14 cents/ft^2.

Nick

[...]

Funny you mention this, I JUST put up film on my windows this past
week. From Home Depot, I got the 'Platinum' film which is supposed to
be the best available.

It worked great. I have very high ceilings, and no shade from any
trees. I would get home from work at it would be 80-82 in my house
with the AC constantly running. After I put up the film, it is now a
consistent 75 in my house and the AC is turning on and off regularly.

It took me a window or two to get really good results. The main thing
with the DIY kits is that you don't let the film stick to itself. It
would certainly be easier with 2 people, but I did it by myself. Don't
buy any special solutions, just make soapy water with some baby
shampoo. You spray the windows really good, spray the film (there's a
backing that gets peeled off) put the film up, spray the exposed side
as well, squeege it out (you can buy the $3 kit from HD as well), then
trim the edges with a razor blade.

It's easy to get the bubbles out, looks good from the inside, and will
save you $$$.

I appreciate all who replied. I'm leaning toward looking further into
the shade cloth (no pun intended :-), and the screens. The blinds are
still a consideration, although they would require a permanent exterior
mount and manual effort to go outside to open/close...although, for the
price I may revisit this option. The tree option is a little more
remote at this time, due to the time necessary for benefit and
permanent nature of it.

I will follow up when I decide and with results.

Thank you,
Dave

nr

I had sunscreens on a house with west facing windows. Since they are
on the outside, they stop the sun before it hits the glass. The frames
are just like window screens, sized appropriately, and easy to install
and uninstall. If you attach them properly, you won't need to remove
them on a windy day, but you will be able to remove them for the
winter. Their downside is they do block quite a bit of the view.
Trade-offs!