Default slab thickness

My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

John Willis

On 14 Jun 2005 13:28:13 -0700, scribbled this
interesting note:

My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

Four inches is sufficient for the floor of the garage. Of course you
will still need beams around the perimeter of the garage (perhaps more
in the center, depending upon the complexity of the design), a sand
pad to control expansion and contraction under the foundation, a
moisture barrier, and reinforcement steel, properly supported so it is
in the center of the concrete instead of sitting on the bottom against
the moisture barrier where it does no good whatsoever.

If I were building my own garage, say a 20X24, single story, where we
live, I'd most likely dig perimeter beams about ten to twelve inches
wide, at least a foot below grade and sixteen to eighteen inches would
be better, and possibly dig piers on either side of each corner as
well. Otherwise, standard pad design, moisture barrier, and steel.

If I got fancy and wanted a two story garage then the beams would be
wider and deeper and there'd be more piers. Otherwise the rest would
suffice, even the 4 inch floor. But that's where we live where the
soil has an unbelievable amount of expansion and contraction. A slab
in this area, built to minimum standards, even just for a garage, will
fail unless you take extra precautions to keep the soil around the
building stabilized by maintaining even moisture content year 'round.
--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
SQLit

wrote in message
ups.com...
My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

Just what are you planning on driving on a 5 inch slab? A Fire Truck?

4 inches is standard, usually 3500 psi concrete. Some use rebar some use
steel mats. Saw cut every 10 feet for expansion.

Foundations are broken up into parts called footings and stem walls. The
thickness is directly proportional to the height of the building. Where I
live the footings are minimum of 12 deep x 18 wide about 18 inches below
grade. That makes the stem walls 10-12 inches wide and 20-24 inches high.
If you live in frost country, other considerations are necessary.

G Henslee

SQLit wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

Just what are you planning on driving on a 5 inch slab? A Fire Truck?

4 inches is standard, usually 3500 psi concrete. Some use rebar some use
steel mats. Saw cut every 10 feet for expansion.

The OP said he read the info. Must have been a handout from the
National Concrete Mfger's Association
Bob Morrison

In a previous post says...
My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

For residential structures, I always recommend a 5-inch UNREINFORCED
slab on a 6-inch compacted gravel base. Sawcut or tooled crack control
joints every 150 square feet max.

Unreinforced = no welded wire fabric, no rebar, no fibermesh

No amount of reinforcing will prevent cracking. The only thing that
will do that is pre-stressed or post-tensioned concrete.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Slab strength and thickness depends on extenuating circs, type of subsoils,
frost, use of salt on roads, etc. Reinforcing, if properly applied, greatly
improves perform of crete, as does limiting the amount of H2O

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"Bob Morrison" wrote in message
.net...
In a previous post says...
My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

For residential structures, I always recommend a 5-inch UNREINFORCED
slab on a 6-inch compacted gravel base. Sawcut or tooled crack control
joints every 150 square feet max.

Unreinforced = no welded wire fabric, no rebar, no fibermesh

No amount of reinforcing will prevent cracking. The only thing that
will do that is pre-stressed or post-tensioned concrete.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Structural & Civil Engineering
Poulsbo WA

Chris Lewis

According to SQLit :

wrote in message
ups.com...
My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

Just what are you planning on driving on a 5 inch slab? A Fire Truck?

4 inches is standard, usually 3500 psi concrete. Some use rebar some use
steel mats. Saw cut every 10 feet for expansion.

Some use fiberglass fiber reinforcement instead. I did ;-)

Foundations are broken up into parts called footings and stem walls. The
thickness is directly proportional to the height of the building. Where I
live the footings are minimum of 12 deep x 18 wide about 18 inches below
grade. That makes the stem walls 10-12 inches wide and 20-24 inches high.
If you live in frost country, other considerations are necessary.

Yeah, you generally need to get below the frost line. Here, it's at least
4'.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Bob Morrison

In a previous post ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy says...
Slab strength and thickness depends on extenuating circs, type of subsoils,
frost, use of salt on roads, etc. Reinforcing, if properly applied, greatly
improves perform of crete, as does limiting the amount of H2O

CF&SG is correct in that rebar and lower water content will improve
structural performance. However, only the latter will have any effect
on crack control.

Most cracks come from shrinkage. Shrinkage comes from having more water
in the concrete that is necessary to make the chemical reaction happen.

If left unspecified most batch plants will give you about 6 gallons of
water per 94 lb. sack of cement. Only about 3 gallons is required for
the chemical reaction. The rest is there so you handle and place the
concrete.

There are several ways to reduce the amount of water, including adding
more air to the mix which isn't a bad idea for exterior slabs. The
added air ("air entrainment") will also improve freeze-thaw resistance.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Structural & Civil Engineering
Poulsbo WA
Joseph Meehan

Bob Morrison wrote:
In a previous post ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy says...
Slab strength and thickness depends on extenuating circs, type of
subsoils, frost, use of salt on roads, etc. Reinforcing, if
properly applied, greatly improves perform of crete, as does
limiting the amount of H2O

CF&SG is correct in that rebar and lower water content will improve
structural performance. However, only the latter will have any effect
on crack control.

Most cracks come from shrinkage. Shrinkage comes from having more
water in the concrete that is necessary to make the chemical reaction
happen.

If left unspecified most batch plants will give you about 6 gallons of
water per 94 lb. sack of cement. Only about 3 gallons is required for
the chemical reaction. The rest is there so you handle and place the
concrete.

Don't they measure or test that by measuring the "slump?"

There are several ways to reduce the amount of water, including adding
more air to the mix which isn't a bad idea for exterior slabs. The
added air ("air entrainment") will also improve freeze-thaw
resistance.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joe

Don't they measure or test that by measuring the "slump?"
Yes they do but if the concrete measures a 6 slump, there is no way to take
water out of the concrete.
(the only way to stiffen up the concrete is to add more sand, aggregate and
cement)

--
JerryD(upstateNY)
If left unspecified most batch plants will give you about 6 gallons of
water per 94 lb. sack of cement. Only about 3 gallons is required for
the chemical reaction. The rest is there so you handle and place the
concrete.

There are several ways to reduce the amount of water, including adding
more air to the mix which isn't a bad idea for exterior slabs. The
added air ("air entrainment") will also improve freeze-thaw
resistance.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Robert Allison

Joe wrote:
Don't they measure or test that by measuring the "slump?"
Yes they do but if the concrete measures a 6 slump, there is no way to take
water out of the concrete.
(the only way to stiffen up the concrete is to add more sand, aggregate and
cement)

And if it measures a 6" slump and you wanted a 4", then you
send the truck back to the plant and ask for one that is to
your specifications. You don't just take what they give you.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

.... and watch that the driver doesn't add water to move the mix down
the chute.
The Navy had to rework a three story building because the inspector
didn't pay attention.
Engineer and lawyers spent a couple of months strugglng over that until
a fired employee spilled the beans.
TB

P.Fritz

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
Joe wrote:
Don't they measure or test that by measuring the "slump?"
Yes they do but if the concrete measures a 6 slump, there is no way to
take water out of the concrete.
(the only way to stiffen up the concrete is to add more sand, aggregate
and cement)

And if it measures a 6" slump and you wanted a 4", then you send the truck
back to the plant and ask for one that is to your specifications. You
don't just take what they give you.

It is a little more difficult to send back when the test cylinders don't
meet compression days later :-)

--
Robert Allison Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

Bob Morrison

In a previous post P.Fritz says...
It is a little more difficult to send back when the test cylinders don't
meet compression days later :-)

That's when the trouble (and overtime for the engineer) really starts!

I have had to require that the contractor tear out the bad stuff and
replace with new. Finger pointing gets started in earnest at that
point.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Structural & Civil Engineering
Poulsbo WA
P.Fritz

"Bob Morrison" wrote in message
k.net...
In a previous post P.Fritz says...
It is a little more difficult to send back when the test cylinders don't
meet compression days later :-)

That's when the trouble (and overtime for the engineer) really starts!

I have had to require that the contractor tear out the bad stuff and
replace with new. Finger pointing gets started in earnest at that
point.

But it is always the contractor's fault :-)

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Structural & Civil Engineering
Poulsbo WA

SteveB

wrote in message
ups.com...
My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

Quoting from my recently purchased "Pocket Ref" book, the recommended
thickness for driveways is 6 to 8 inches. Garage floors are 4-5 inches.

Putting in a driveway is no small chore. Or expenditure. I tend to make
things stronger and thicker than the minimum. A few hundred bucks spent now
could save you some major work and expense later. And, making the forms a
couple of inches thicker now is no big deal. Materials can be taken out, or
the forms merely made a little higher.

Think long term.

DO IT ONCE. DO IT RIGHT.

Steve

SteveB

"SQLit" wrote

Just what are you planning on driving on a 5 inch slab? A Fire Truck?

4 inches is standard, usually 3500 psi concrete.

My motorhome is 21,000 #. Now, I don't put it in the garage because it is
too tall, but I do drive on the driveway. And when I go visit, I drive it
on other people's driveways, too. Hope they have a good one, and didn't get
the cheapo economy cut cost save a little money now and pay for it later
kind of deal from their contractor.

The way I think of it, I want to know if I ever wanted to drive a fire truck
on it, I could.

Steve

Robert Allison

Bob Morrison wrote:
In a previous post P.Fritz says...

It is a little more difficult to send back when the test cylinders don't
meet compression days later :-)

That's when the trouble (and overtime for the engineer) really starts!

I have had to require that the contractor tear out the bad stuff and
replace with new. Finger pointing gets started in earnest at that
point.

And I have had to tear out concrete that didn't break at the
spec'd pressure after 28 days. I didn't pay for it though,
the cement plant did. They paid for the new concrete, the
labor, the disposal of the old concrete, everything.

When you do this to them a couple of times, they start paying
close attention to the mix and their quality controls at the
plant. Whenever I order concrete now, I always tell them that
the testing lab will be there to take samples and do a slump
test (whether they are or not). They are minding their Ps and
Qs, then.

We have had the odd batch not break at 3500 or 3000, but it is
usually in an area where it doesn't matter, so it doesn't have
to be torn out. They sometimes break at 2900 or 3400, but for
a slab on grade, that is fine. When you get into retaining
walls and other critical systems, the heat is on, and if you
have all of your paperwork in order, it is on the supplier.

Whenever I have to call the plant and tell them that their
concrete is subpar, the first question I always get is How
much water did you add? For that reason, I always have the
drivers indicate on the delivery ticket if water was added and
who requested it. Sometimes the drivers will add water on the
way to the job to keep the mix turning. If it is a spec'd job
with tests in place, that can come back to haunt them.

Moral: Always keep your delivery tickets, indicate water
added, and test, test, test.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Duane Bozarth

Robert Allison wrote:

Whenever I have to call the plant and tell them that their
concrete is subpar, the first question I always get is How
much water did you add? For that reason, I always have the
drivers indicate on the delivery ticket if water was added and
who requested it. Sometimes the drivers will add water on the
way to the job to keep the mix turning. If it is a spec'd job
with tests in place, that can come back to haunt them.

Can you actually catch them if they don't "'fess up", though?

When I drove one summer while in high school for a local mix service
here (classmate's Dad owned the place) there would have been no way to
prove it as they, at least, weren't monitoring onboard water
consumption...I suppose w/ "real" construction, that's done now.

(Note--Otto only let us kids deliver to the oil well sites where you
couldn't mess anything up other than bury it to the axles in mud... )
butch burton

Anybody answer how thick and what PSI concrete one should have for a
driveway to support a 25K# truck or trailer?

Also how pricey is it to have a testing person to do a slump test on
site.

In my neck of the woods (S WI) the big bear of a problem here is chert
- for some reason in the winter the stuff explodes leaving divots in
the concrete. Seems the cheap jobs and the city sidewalks all have
these divots.

SteveB wrote:

Think long term.

DO IT ONCE. DO IT RIGHT.

Steve

Steve...what state do you work in?

Lil' Dave

wrote in message
ups.com...
My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

Just an observation based on my poured driveway. Had a contractor who
normally does commercial work do it, they were slow last winter.

They used 3/8 rebar, tied in 16" squares. The perimeter was 6" thick.
Foreman said the thicker perimeter serves two purposes. 1. Like a house
concrete perimeter, serves as a beam. 2. Prevents water runoff wash from
undermining the slab. The driveway itself is 3" thick. Simlar technique
on the apron at the street. No frost line in the area, too warm a climate.

Robert Allison

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:

[...]

Well, if I have a delivery ticket that says no water was
added, and the test breaks at 2800 for a 3500 PSI concrete,
who is responsible? The plant! That is what I am talking
about. If you order 3500 PSI mix and you don't get it, it is
the cement plant that has to fix it.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Duane Bozarth

Robert Allison wrote:

Well, if I have a delivery ticket that says no water was
added, and the test breaks at 2800 for a 3500 PSI concrete,
who is responsible? The plant! That is what I am talking
about. If you order 3500 PSI mix and you don't get it, it is
the cement plant that has to fix it.

That surely, is the "proof"...I was just curious during the
finger-pointing phase if the driver tried the "not me!" trick whether
with newer mix trucks water usage might be monitored...
Duane Bozarth

Rudy wrote:

And if it needs to be 'pumped', I guess the slump is less, right ..so it can
flow thru the pump easier ?

Slump would then be greater, not less...
Chris Lewis

According to butch burton :
Anybody answer how thick and what PSI concrete one should have for a
driveway to support a 25K# truck or trailer?

I think this needs 6", plus a well compacted gravel base, and rebar/mesh.
4000PSI or better methinks.

Also how pricey is it to have a testing person to do a slump test on
site.

It shouldn't be necessary - just stress to the supplier that it
needs to be on-spec.

In my neck of the woods (S WI) the big bear of a problem here is chert
- for some reason in the winter the stuff explodes leaving divots in
the concrete. Seems the cheap jobs and the city sidewalks all have
these divots.

Sounds like "spalling", rather than issues with chert. Usually
caused by inadequate air entrainment. This is something you
specify when you order. You're best off hiring a "real" concrete
contractor to do the job or at least spec it out for you. A civil
engineer could be used to spec the thing if you're going to contract
it out yourself.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

John Willis

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:54:04 GMT, "Lil' Dave"
scribbled this interesting note:

wrote in message
oups.com...
My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

Just an observation based on my poured driveway. Had a contractor who
normally does commercial work do it, they were slow last winter.

They used 3/8 rebar, tied in 16" squares. The perimeter was 6" thick.
Foreman said the thicker perimeter serves two purposes. 1. Like a house
concrete perimeter, serves as a beam. 2. Prevents water runoff wash from
undermining the slab. The driveway itself is 3" thick. Simlar technique
on the apron at the street. No frost line in the area, too warm a climate.

That perimeter bean serves another function as well. A floating slab
will do just that...float. That perimeter beam helps keep the
monolithic slab exactly where it was placed and it no longer wants to
float around on the surface of the ground.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Bob Morrison

In a previous post butch burton says...
Anybody answer how thick and what PSI concrete one should have for a
driveway to support a 25K# truck or trailer?

I would go with a minimum of 6-inch thick on a minimum 6-inch compacted
crushed rock (3/4" minus) base. You can help spread loads if you use a
geotextile between the gravel and native material.

Specify a minimum 3500 psi low-slump concrete with 6% air entrainment.

Provide 1-1/4" deep crack control joints - either tooled or saw cut
every 150 sq.ft. (maximum). For example, if the driveway is 12 feet
wide then put a joint every 12 feet. Joints should be cut as soon the
surface is hard enough to walk on.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Structural & Civil Engineering
Poulsbo WA
Robert Allison

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:

Well, if I have a delivery ticket that says no water was
added, and the test breaks at 2800 for a 3500 PSI concrete,
who is responsible? The plant! That is what I am talking
about. If you order 3500 PSI mix and you don't get it, it is
the cement plant that has to fix it.

That surely, is the "proof"...I was just curious during the
finger-pointing phase if the driver tried the "not me!" trick whether
with newer mix trucks water usage might be monitored...

One way to do that is to tell the plant that you want the
water tanks full when they arrive at the jobsite. That leaves
the driver the option of adding water and then stopping
somewhere and refilling the tanks, but I don't think that they
are that devious. Most drivers I have found to be pretty
honest. I can't imagine a situation where one would want to
ruin your mix just to be mean. Especially when they know that
their jobs could be on the line for it.

You can also check the level of the water tank on the truck
when it arrives and when it leaves, keeping in mind that if
the truck is not on level ground, the readings could be
different if it moves.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Rudy wrote:

And if it needs to be 'pumped', I guess the slump is less, right ..so it can
flow thru the pump easier ?

Slump would then be greater, not less...

Exactly. And if you are pumping the mix, you have to let the
plant know that in advance. It requires a certain size of
aggregate and a 5-6" slump, which means that the plant has to
adjust the mix so that when it cures, it is at the right PSI.

You can't just order standard 3000PSI mix, then add water to
get it through the pump.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Matt Whiting

Bob Morrison wrote:

In a previous post ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy says...

Slab strength and thickness depends on extenuating circs, type of subsoils,
frost, use of salt on roads, etc. Reinforcing, if properly applied, greatly
improves perform of crete, as does limiting the amount of H2O

CF&SG is correct in that rebar and lower water content will improve
structural performance. However, only the latter will have any effect
on crack control.

Yes, but rebar will help prevent problems is there is a soft spot in the
ground under the slab that settles a little. It can also prevent cracks
from opening up or shifting vertically.

Matt
Bob Morrison

In a previous post Matt Whiting says...
CF&SG is correct in that rebar and lower water content will improve
structural performance. However, only the latter will have any effect
on crack control.

Yes, but rebar will help prevent problems is there is a soft spot in the
ground under the slab that settles a little. It can also prevent cracks
from opening up or shifting vertically.

Matt:

Quite true. However, I tell the contractors to spend their time and
effort on subgrade preparation. It's easier to do than correctly
placing rebar, and with the current price of steel may even be cheaper.

A good unreinforced slab on properly prepared subgrade with adequate
crack control should not have any problems.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Structural & Civil Engineering
Poulsbo WA
RicodJour

Bob Morrison wrote:
In a previous post Matt Whiting says...
CF&SG is correct in that rebar and lower water content will improve
structural performance. However, only the latter will have any effect
on crack control.

Yes, but rebar will help prevent problems is there is a soft spot in the
ground under the slab that settles a little. It can also prevent cracks
from opening up or shifting vertically.

Quite true. However, I tell the contractors to spend their time and
effort on subgrade preparation. It's easier to do than correctly
placing rebar, and with the current price of steel may even be cheaper.

A good unreinforced slab on properly prepared subgrade with adequate
crack control should not have any problems.

NY Code for concrete cover of reinforcing

TABLE 1907.7.1
MINIMUM CONCRETE COVER

MINIMUM

COVER

CONCRETE EXPOSURE inches

1. Concrete cast against and permanently exposed to earth 3

2. Concrete exposed to earth or weather

No. 6 through No. 18 bar 2

No. 5 bar, W31 or D31 wire, and smaller 1-1/2

If I'm reading that right, and you can figure out a way to cast the
driveway above grade and then lower it into place (!), you can go with
as little as a 3" slab. Otherwise you need 6" if it's cast in place
and reinforced.

Weird thing. If you _reinforce_ it, code requires a thicker slab!

Bob's got it right, the slab doesn't move unless something underneath
it does. Preparation - drainage, compaction, etc. - is the key.

Bob Morrison

In a previous post RicodJour says...
If I'm reading that right, and you can figure out a way to cast the
driveway above grade and then lower it into place (!), you can go with
as little as a 3" slab. Otherwise you need 6" if it's cast in place
and reinforced.

Rico:

Your math is almost correct:

1-1/2" top cover
1/2" (actually 5/8" OD) for #4 Longitudinal bar
1/2" (actually 5/8" OD) for #4 transverse bar
3" bottom cover

Total = 5-3/4"

Using #3 bards drops the total to 5-1/2"

You would need at least that much concrete to get the steel to bond
properly anyway.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Structural & Civil Engineering
Poulsbo WA
RicodJour

Bob Morrison wrote:
In a previous post RicodJour says...
If I'm reading that right, and you can figure out a way to cast the
driveway above grade and then lower it into place (!), you can go with
as little as a 3" slab. Otherwise you need 6" if it's cast in place
and reinforced.

Rico:

Your math is almost correct:

1-1/2" top cover
1/2" (actually 5/8" OD) for #4 Longitudinal bar
1/2" (actually 5/8" OD) for #4 transverse bar
3" bottom cover

Total = 5-3/4"

Using #3 bards drops the total to 5-1/2"

You would need at least that much concrete to get the steel to bond
properly anyway.

Again with the math! You're such an engineer sometimes.

They allow some leeway with the coverage - I believe it's +/- 3/8".

Oh, and coming from a woodworking background, I half-lap my rebar so
it's only one layer thick.