Bob Morrison

In a previous post says...
My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

For residential structures, I always recommend a 5-inch UNREINFORCED
slab on a 6-inch compacted gravel base. Sawcut or tooled crack control
joints every 150 square feet max.

Unreinforced = no welded wire fabric, no rebar, no fibermesh

No amount of reinforcing will prevent cracking. The only thing that
will do that is pre-stressed or post-tensioned concrete.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co