SteveB

wrote in message
ups.com...
My contractor has specified a 4" thick slab on grade for a new garage
floor. Is this the accepted thickness? I've read that driveways should
be 5" thick and house foundations 8-10" thick. The plans *do* call out
reinforcement.

Comments?

Quoting from my recently purchased "Pocket Ref" book, the recommended
thickness for driveways is 6 to 8 inches. Garage floors are 4-5 inches.

Putting in a driveway is no small chore. Or expenditure. I tend to make
things stronger and thicker than the minimum. A few hundred bucks spent now
could save you some major work and expense later. And, making the forms a
couple of inches thicker now is no big deal. Materials can be taken out, or
the forms merely made a little higher.

Think long term.

DO IT ONCE. DO IT RIGHT.

Steve