JB in CT

Default Gas guzzler Lawnboy

My 2-cycle Lawnboy has become a gas guzzler. I have gone from using one
tank of gas to mow my lawn to almost two tanks. I use the recommended
oil/gas ratio, have put on a new air filter (oiled), and have done
nothing to cause the increase in gas consumption. The mower is about 8
years old and starts fine. Any ideas?

Pop

JB in CT wrote:

My 2-cycle Lawnboy has become a gas guzzler. I have gone from using one
tank of gas to mow my lawn to almost two tanks. I use the recommended
oil/gas ratio, have put on a new air filter (oiled), and have done
nothing to cause the increase in gas consumption. The mower is about 8
years old and starts fine. Any ideas?

Possibilities:
-- Same oil brand for mixing?
-- You didn't mention the spark plug?
-- Using faster blade speeds
-- Lower cutting depth?
-- Using higher mowing (walking) speeds to speed up the job?
-- Blades so worn they have to "tear" grass instead of "cut"?
-- Bent blades? More work to rotate them.
-- Self propelled? Lots of possibilities there.
-- Anything that makes the motor work harder
-- Longer grass
-- More weeds?
-- ?? Anything in the gas tank that doesn't belong there?
-- LEAK; running thru deck where yuo can't tell it's leaking?
Try running it on pavement see if it leaks anything.

How much gas is a "gas can"? They range from quart or less to a
half gallon to 5 gallons & all in between, depending.
m Ransley

Compression is getting low, motor is wearing out and needs more gas to
make power.

Al Bundy

JB in CT wrote:
My 2-cycle Lawnboy has become a gas guzzler. I have gone from using one
tank of gas to mow my lawn to almost two tanks. I use the recommended
oil/gas ratio, have put on a new air filter (oiled), and have done
nothing to cause the increase in gas consumption. The mower is about 8
years old and starts fine. Any ideas?

You are eight years older and walking slower.

Phisherman

On 10 Jun 2005 11:24:32 -0700, "JB in CT" wrote:

My 2-cycle Lawnboy has become a gas guzzler. I have gone from using one
tank of gas to mow my lawn to almost two tanks. I use the recommended
oil/gas ratio, have put on a new air filter (oiled), and have done
nothing to cause the increase in gas consumption. The mower is about 8
years old and starts fine. Any ideas?

A sharp blade will use less power. Use a premium-grade gasoline from
a good-brand station. Clean (or replace) and gap the spark plug.
Check for leaks (do you notice any gasoline smell?). I've noticed
that I use more gasoline, the hotter the summer days.

it could be your carb is dumping in to much fuel, a good leaning and
readjust may help. lucas

Al Bundy

JB in CT wrote:
My 2-cycle Lawnboy has become a gas guzzler. I have gone from using one
tank of gas to mow my lawn to almost two tanks. I use the recommended
oil/gas ratio, have put on a new air filter (oiled), and have done
nothing to cause the increase in gas consumption. The mower is about 8
years old and starts fine. Any ideas?

If you are really sure about that usage I suspect a leak somewhere.
Maybe the tank is cracked if it's plastic or a rubber hose is cracked
underneath where you don't see it. The fuel is shaking off and
evaporating faster than can be noticed. It doesn't make sense to me
that it could be burning twice what it was and still be running the
same. By the way it might only be leaking when running as the vibration
could open a crack somewhere.

LOKI

At one time I noticed that my mower was using alot of gas. Took me a couple
of tanks to find out that I had a slight crack in the fuel line going from
the tank to the carb. I didn't notice any fuel puddles or anything in the
shed, although gas will evaporate so that's why I didn't notice. I saw it
leaking while I was using it, that's how I found the prob.

"JB in CT" wrote in message
ups.com...
My 2-cycle Lawnboy has become a gas guzzler. I have gone from using one
tank of gas to mow my lawn to almost two tanks. I use the recommended
oil/gas ratio, have put on a new air filter (oiled), and have done
nothing to cause the increase in gas consumption. The mower is about 8
years old and starts fine. Any ideas?

Harry K

JB in CT wrote:
My 2-cycle Lawnboy has become a gas guzzler. I have gone from using one
tank of gas to mow my lawn to almost two tanks. I use the recommended
oil/gas ratio, have put on a new air filter (oiled), and have done
nothing to cause the increase in gas consumption. The mower is about 8
years old and starts fine. Any ideas?

If it isn't leaking out and the mower is running well don't worry about
it. Gas guzzler by definition but we aren't talking about a -lot- of
gas. Maybe an extra quart per mowing. Don't let the EPA people find
out though.

Harry K