Francine

Default Lawnboy model 5277 No Spark

Hi there I have an old Lawnboy that will not start. I have checked to
see if I have spark and there is none. I replaced the plug and still
no spark. I took off the flywheel to see if there are any points or
condensers but there are none and according to my local dealer this is
solid state. I tried replacing the ignition coil/module with a new one
but still nothing. I gave the dealer the s/n# and they gave me an
exploded diagram of all the parts and it doesn't show anything else
that I can see that would cause a no spark. It says that it is Engine
Group-F100 Models: 5277. Unless I got a defective coil what else
could this be?

Any help is appreciated.

mark Ransley

spark plug wire

Francine

Try short the switch terminal on the CD to the engine block and see if it
has spark, then try again with the switch terminal bare, no wires at all
attached. Some CD packs needed to be grounded to run, some open. If you get
spark with either of these two tests, it may be just the kill switch.
Greg

Hey Greg,
What do you mean by short the switch terminal? I am sort of familiar
with stuff but am a bit foggy on what you mean here.

Thanks.
Greg O

"Francine" wrote in message
om...
Try short the switch terminal on the CD to the engine block and see if

it
has spark, then try again with the switch terminal bare, no wires at all
attached. Some CD packs needed to be grounded to run, some open. If you

get
spark with either of these two tests, it may be just the kill switch.
Greg

Hey Greg,
What do you mean by short the switch terminal? I am sort of familiar
with stuff but am a bit foggy on what you mean here.

Thanks.

On the CD there is a small spade terminal that connects to the kill switch
wire. Connect it, with a jumper wire, right to the engine block and test for
park. Then remove the wire, leave the terminal bare, and test again. If it
has spark either way, it probably is the kill switch.
One more thing, make sure the air gap between the CD and flywheel is
correct. It needs to be .010", or about two thickness' of printer paper.
Stick a feeler gauge, or paper, between the flywheel and CD, let the magnets
on the flywheel pull the CD to it. and tighten the two mounting screws for
the CD.

A good repair shop should be able to test the Cd for you, using a ignition
tester.
Good luck,
Greg

Randd01

I need more info on the engine. Some models have a low oil level switch that
shuts unit off when oil level gets to low. They always malfunction. If it has
one take it out of the kill switch circuit.
Also I'm sure you tried a new plug right?
Greg O

"Randd01" wrote in message
I need more info on the engine. Some models have a low oil level switch

that
shuts unit off when oil level gets to low. They always malfunction. If it

has
one take it out of the kill switch circuit.
Also I'm sure you tried a new plug right?

Please don't try to help if you just guessing.
The OP is asking about a Lawn Boy, two cycle mower, no oil reservoir in the
crankcase, no low oil level switch!!

As far as oil guard on Briggs and Stratton engines, I have never seen on
fail, they might, but your claim that they always malfunction is extreme.
Add oil and all is ok again! People do not realize that once the crankcase
gets low enough to trip the oil guard, you need to fill the crankcase
completely to reset it.
Greg

Walt Conner

" Some CD packs needed to be grounded to run, some open"

This is an "F" Series Engine. All "F" Series engine used the terminal to short
out, kill the engine. The old "D-600" Series came out originally with an
ignition module that required continuity from the spade terminal to ground to
run, later they changed to shorting out, killing the engine.

Walt Conner

Francine

I will try to short out the switch as per the advice and will let you
know how I make out.

Thnx
Francine

I will try to short out the switch as per the advice and will let you
know how I make out.

Thnx

Stormin Mormon

I tuned in late. But if that's a killswitch or key switch, don't short it
out. Open the cirucit.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus