steve

Default TV and AC on one line. 15 or 20 amp???

last winter I added a new 15 amp line to my bedroom for a wall mounted
TV. Now with the hot weather I want to add an outlet for a window AC
unit. (it was overloading my bedroom curciut and tripping the breaker)

The bedroom is right above the curciut panel in the basement so the
line to the TV is only 20 feet long. I would like to add an outlet to
that line for the AC. Will the TV be affected when the AC comes on?
I currently have a 15 amp breaker on this TV line. Should I change
that to a 20 amp???

TV and the AC will be the only things on this line.

TIA

Steve

Phil Yarbrough

A/C should be on a circuit by itself.

TURTLE

"steve" wrote in message
last winter I added a new 15 amp line to my bedroom for a wall mounted
TV. Now with the hot weather I want to add an outlet for a window AC
unit. (it was overloading my bedroom curciut and tripping the breaker)

The bedroom is right above the curciut panel in the basement so the
line to the TV is only 20 feet long. I would like to add an outlet to
that line for the AC. Will the TV be affected when the AC comes on?
I currently have a 15 amp breaker on this TV line. Should I change
that to a 20 amp???

TV and the AC will be the only things on this line.

TIA

Steve

this is turtle.

20 amp may do but there is more that just changing a breaker to fix it. You need
to see what size wire you have , Amp draw of each appliance you have, and
circuit amp supplied to the plugs and what you will add to it like a/c and TV
service. Changing breakers and not know wire sizes is a bad ideal.

TURTLE

toller

I expect you are trolling, but if not, shut off the main breaker until you
can get an electrician in.

Mikepier

If you ran 12 gauge wire, then you can use a 20 amp breaker. Otherwise,
leave it at 15.
What is the size of the A/C? If you are talking about 5,000-7,000 BTU.
It should be OK.(5-7 amps). You might see the TV flicker a little. I
had this setup for years in my bedroom and it never gave me a problem.
If you are talking about a big unit, you are better off running a new
line. Run a 12/2 w/ground so you have the option to get a 220V unit.

Mikepier

Run a 12/2 w/ground so you have the option to get a 220V unit.

What I meant is run a 12 guage. You would run a 2 conductor with ground
anyway.

Line out jack Joseph Electronics 0 July 17th 04 10:21 AM
Bright Vertical Line on TV Rob Electronics Repair 12 March 14th 04 06:37 PM
Telephone Line Problems barry martin Home Repair 1 March 7th 04 03:00 AM
phone line noise hank Home Ownership 8 December 7th 03 09:02 PM
Help On Fax/Phone Line Nick Home Repair 5 August 26th 03 12:39 AM