Joe

Default Window A/C

Hey,
I just installed a 7300BTU Simplicity Room Air Conditioner and upon the
installation, I was unable to provide the 1/4" tilt backwards for drainage.
Because my apartment is part of an older "Victorian" type house, the window
is huge and pretty much forces the unit to stay level when I lock it in
place. I've tried many ways to allow the tilt, but it just isn't going to
happen. Alot of people said that new ACs are designed not to drain but to
use the condensation to cool the unit, though my unit has the hole in the
back and the manual specifies to tilt it back.
I'm not interested in having mildew build-up and odors in my AC.
Any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks!

Mikepier

If its level, I would not worry too much. If it was tilting towards the
window, then I would say it could be a problem. Can't you put a wood
shim underneath the front of the A/C to get the tilt?

Luke

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:40:33 -0400, "Joe"
wrote:

I just installed a 7300BTU Simplicity Room Air Conditioner and upon the
installation, I was unable to provide the 1/4" tilt backwards for drainage.
Because my apartment is part of an older "Victorian" type house, the window
is huge and pretty much forces the unit to stay level when I lock it in
place. I've tried many ways to allow the tilt, but it just isn't going to
happen. Alot of people said that new ACs are designed not to drain but to
use the condensation to cool the unit, though my unit has the hole in the
back and the manual specifies to tilt it back.
I'm not interested in having mildew build-up and odors in my AC.
Any ideas on what I could do?

More information please: just how does the window force the unit
level?

Guessing, but perhaps you need to add height to the inside stool/sill
(screw down an appropriate sized piece or two of wood to the stool) to
clear an outside storm window?

--
Luke
"You can't bomb a people just in case." "You can't organize a war on
SQLit

"Joe" wrote in message
Hey,
I just installed a 7300BTU Simplicity Room Air Conditioner and upon the
installation, I was unable to provide the 1/4" tilt backwards for

drainage.
Because my apartment is part of an older "Victorian" type house, the

window
is huge and pretty much forces the unit to stay level when I lock it in
place. I've tried many ways to allow the tilt, but it just isn't going to
happen. Alot of people said that new ACs are designed not to drain but to
use the condensation to cool the unit, though my unit has the hole in the
back and the manual specifies to tilt it back.
I'm not interested in having mildew build-up and odors in my AC.
Any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks!

A package of door shims from the local hardware store will solve the issue.

Olaf

If the window sill runs right up to the window bottom when the window is
closed, then the air conditioner should be sitting properly when the bottom
of the a/c is up against the back of the window sill and the top of the a/c
is being held by the bottom of the window.

Are you sure it's level?

"Joe" wrote in message
Hey,
I just installed a 7300BTU Simplicity Room Air Conditioner and upon the
installation, I was unable to provide the 1/4" tilt backwards for

drainage.
Because my apartment is part of an older "Victorian" type house, the

window
is huge and pretty much forces the unit to stay level when I lock it in
place. I've tried many ways to allow the tilt, but it just isn't going to
happen. Alot of people said that new ACs are designed not to drain but to
use the condensation to cool the unit, though my unit has the hole in the
back and the manual specifies to tilt it back.
I'm not interested in having mildew build-up and odors in my AC.
Any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks!

Edwin Pawlowski

"Olaf" wrote in message
If the window sill runs right up to the window bottom when the window is
closed, then the air conditioner should be sitting properly when the
bottom
of the a/c is up against the back of the window sill and the top of the
a/c
is being held by the bottom of the window.

Are you sure it's level?

You left out the storm window. With many triple track storm windows, the
bottom cross member may sit a bit higher that the sill causing the AC to
tilt inward a bit. In that case, the sill must be shimmed.

rile

If you have a triple-track storm window, then you have exactly the same
as me. My window AC sat almost level since the bottom rail of the
storm window was almost the same height as the inside window ledge.
All you need is to cut a piece of plywood the appropriate thickness and
place it under the AC on the inside window ledge. If that doesn't do
it, use two pieces. Works for me.