Dean Swinger

Default copper pipes and angle stops

Were having our bathroom repiped with copper pipe and my question is
which type of angle stops should be used? The person sweating the
pipes put in 1\2" female copper fittings then a galv. close nipple
then the 1\2" female angle stop and they all seem to leak. would it
not have been better to use a 1\2" compression angle stop on the
copper pipe instead?

SQLit

"Dean Swinger" wrote in message
Were having our bathroom repiped with copper pipe and my question is
which type of angle stops should be used? The person sweating the
pipes put in 1\2" female copper fittings then a galv. close nipple
then the 1\2" female angle stop and they all seem to leak. would it
not have been better to use a 1\2" compression angle stop on the
copper pipe instead?

Copper and galv. pipe will eat away at each other. Basic chemistry.
The galv. nipples MUST come out.

Ken

Dean Swinger wrote:
Were having our bathroom repiped with copper pipe and my question is
which type of angle stops should be used? The person sweating the
pipes put in 1\2" female copper fittings then a galv. close nipple
then the 1\2" female angle stop and they all seem to leak. would it
not have been better to use a 1\2" compression angle stop on the
copper pipe instead?

Are you sure it's a galvanized close nipple? If so, it sounds like the
plumber didn't have the right parts at hand and used whatever he
happened to have with him. Never mix copper and galvanized.

My personal favorite way is to have the female fitting behind the wall
(either copper or brass), then connect a 3" or 4" chrome plated brass
nipple, then either a straight stop or angle stop, whatever you need.
Use teflon tape on all threaded fittings. Put on a chrome escutchion,
and you're all set, looks real nice.

Ken

Speedy Jim

SQLit wrote:

"Dean Swinger" wrote in message

Were having our bathroom repiped with copper pipe and my question is
which type of angle stops should be used? The person sweating the
pipes put in 1\2" female copper fittings then a galv. close nipple
then the 1\2" female angle stop and they all seem to leak. would it
not have been better to use a 1\2" compression angle stop on the
copper pipe instead?

Copper and galv. pipe will eat away at each other. Basic chemistry.
The galv. nipples MUST come out.

The galv nipples ensure that the installer's son will
have a job. Takes about 40 Years to disintegrate...

Jim
Dean Swinger

Thanks for the input thought it was odd to galv w/copper I removed the
copper fitting and replaced it with a 3" long piece of 1\2" copper
pipe and put a compression angle stop on it and it worked great. !
question though if you have a female fitting behiend the wall how do
you tighten the angle stop without twisting the copper joint apart?
On 7 Jun 2005 09:01:27 -0700, "Ken" wrote:

Dean Swinger wrote:
[...]

EvoDawg

Dean Swinger wrote:

Were having our bathroom repiped with copper pipe and my question is
which type of angle stops should be used? The person sweating the
pipes put in 1\2" female copper fittings then a galv. close nipple
then the 1\2" female angle stop and they all seem to leak. would it
not have been better to use a 1\2" compression angle stop on the
copper pipe instead?

1/2" compression, Period. Never had one fail. Hmmmmmmm copper and galv. two
different metals in contact with eachother, bad news. Electrolysis!!!

Rich
--
*Remove "nospam" to email
"You can lead them to LINUX
Ken

Dean Swinger wrote:
Thanks for the input thought it was odd to galv w/copper I removed the
copper fitting and replaced it with a 3" long piece of 1\2" copper
pipe and put a compression angle stop on it and it worked great. !
question though if you have a female fitting behiend the wall how do
you tighten the angle stop without twisting the copper joint apart?
On 7 Jun 2005 09:01:27 -0700, "Ken" wrote:

Behind the wall I like to use a cast bronze elbow with the ears on it,
like this:

http://tinyurl.com/cypty

That elbow is nailed to blocking between the studs. You can crank on a
nipple of whatever length you need, then crank on a angle stop, should
be no problem with twisting.

Ken