Mat and Suzy

Default Screws or nail?

I'm at the beginning of a mammoth fencing project.... A simple wooden fence
using 6'x6" dog ear panels and pressure treated posts and 2x4s. So far I
used galvanized joist nails to join the 2x4s to the posts (using fence
brackets) but have screwed the dog ear panels to the 2x4s (using triple
coated deck screws that were going very cheap at Menards). My question is,
are screws as good a solution as nails for the panels? The wood is pretty
soft, and the screws do not tighten up too much before they start to turn.
That said, they feel pretty solid. But the nails displace a lot more wood
going in, and seem to create a tough joint (I had to take a couple
out...they were in pretty good).

I guess if nails are best, I will have to spring for a nail gun. Seeing as
my materials budget is around $4k I suppose I can justify that if I have to.
But only if screws will not be good enough in the long run.

All ideas and advice gratefully received.

Mat

Personally, I prefer screws over most nails (annular ring shank are
good, however) better holding power than
nails

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mat and Suzy" wrote in message
I'm at the beginning of a mammoth fencing project.... A simple wooden
fence using 6'x6" dog ear panels and pressure treated posts and 2x4s. So
far I used galvanized joist nails to join the 2x4s to the posts (using
fence brackets) but have screwed the dog ear panels to the 2x4s (using
triple coated deck screws that were going very cheap at Menards). My
question is, are screws as good a solution as nails for the panels?

I'd use square drive stainless steel screws. You can see them at
www.mcfeelys.com or any good hardware supplier.

RicodJour

Mat and Suzy wrote:
[...]

Screws hold better. It sounds like you're stripping out the screws by
over-torquing them. Are you sure the clutch setting on your driver is
correctly set?

For a project that big, you might want to buy an autofeed screwgun. It
would save you a sh...errr...lots of time. You can sell it on eBay
when you're done and you'll get most of your money back.

Phisherman

I'd prefer screws over nails. If you want to avoid staining, use
stainless steel--expensive but they won't tarnish.

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 18:25:04 GMT, "Mat and Suzy"
wrote:

[...]

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

LOL, the square drive things are known as Robertsons, a canadian invention
and head an shoulders above anything the yanks have ever devised in the
fastener drive area. Its about time them stubborn, pig heads south of us
figured out what we clever canadians have known for 80 years.
Near anything to do with electrical in canada is set up with Robertson#2
drives. They make life so simple!!!

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Mat and Suzy" wrote in message
I'm at the beginning of a mammoth fencing project.... A simple wooden
fence using 6'x6" dog ear panels and pressure treated posts and 2x4s.

So
far I used galvanized joist nails to join the 2x4s to the posts (using
fence brackets) but have screwed the dog ear panels to the 2x4s (using
triple coated deck screws that were going very cheap at Menards). My
question is, are screws as good a solution as nails for the panels?

I'd use square drive stainless steel screws. You can see them at
www.mcfeelys.com or any good hardware supplier.

RicodJour

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy wrote:
LOL, the square drive things are known as Robertsons, a canadian invention
and head an shoulders above anything the yanks have ever devised in the
fastener drive area. Its about time them stubborn, pig heads south of us
figured out what we clever canadians have known for 80 years.
Near anything to do with electrical in canada is set up with Robertson#2
drives. They make life so simple!!!

on is, are screws as good a solution as nails for the panels?

Anyone else find it interesting that Guy capitalized Robertson and not
canadian, canadians, or canada? I fear we're witnessing
overcompensation for a chauvinistic inferiority streak.

But you are right - they are known as Robertson screws, they are far
superior, and saying Square vs Robertson saves two syllables and lops a
third off of the word length. So let's just call them square drive
screws and call it even.

Gort

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy wrote:
LOL, the square drive things are known as Robertsons, a canadian invention
and head an shoulders above anything the yanks have ever devised in the
fastener drive area. Its about time them stubborn, pig heads south of us
figured out what we clever canadians have known for 80 years.
Near anything to do with electrical in canada is set up with Robertson#2
drives. They make life so simple!!!

--

Gotta love Canada. The hot air emanating from there keeps the Arctic
cold from reaching the U.S. ;-)

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

RicodJour ) said...

But you are right - they are known as Robertson screws, they are far
superior, and saying Square vs Robertson saves two syllables and lops a
third off of the word length. So let's just call them square drive
screws and call it even.

Those who use them regularly call them a Robbie. Colours (or "colors",
if you prefer) are used to distinguish the sizes:

A "red Robbie" is a #2, or if you go by screw size, a #8.
A "green Robbie" is a #1, or if you go by screw size, a #6.
A "yellow Robbie" is a #0, or if you go by screw size, a #4.
A "black Robbie" is a #3, or if you go by screw size, a #10.

Probably the least common, an "orange Robbie" is a #00, or if you go
by screw size, a #2.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon

Alan

On 7 Jun 2005 19:42:48 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

[...]

Square drive and Robertson are not identical. I find Robertson to be
superior, but have difficulty getting them these days.

Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Alan ) said...

Square drive and Robertson are not identical. I find Robertson to be
superior, but have difficulty getting them these days.

This is actually true. For the name "Robertson" to be used, licencing is
involved and certain specs must be followed. Cheap screw driver bits with
designations like "S-1", are "square" and not real Robbie bits.

Real Robbie bits have a very slight taper to them that really makes a big
difference when it comes to driving the screw.