Grendel

Default Painting iron railing..

gonna paint my front railing that's rusty in areas. Here's my plan

1. Cover area with dropcloths
2.. Remove loose paint and loose rust with wire brush Leave light surface
rust as is.
3. Lightly sand whole railing for better paint adhesion
4. Wash railing and let it dry
5. Use rust inhibitor and/or Rustoleom primer to prevent rust from coming
back and to stop stop surface rust
6. Paint with brush using Rustoleom glossy. I think glossy would look neat.

Step 6 is what I have a question about. Do I need to use the rust inhibitor
separate stuff as well as priming? Or does the combination of the Rustoleum
primer and paint do the same thing and therefore that's enough?

Norminn

Grendel wrote:
gonna paint my front railing that's rusty in areas. Here's my plan

1. Cover area with dropcloths
2.. Remove loose paint and loose rust with wire brush Leave light surface
rust as is.
3. Lightly sand whole railing for better paint adhesion
4. Wash railing and let it dry
5. Use rust inhibitor and/or Rustoleom primer to prevent rust from coming
back and to stop stop surface rust
6. Paint with brush using Rustoleom glossy. I think glossy would look neat.

Step 6 is what I have a question about. Do I need to use the rust inhibitor
separate stuff as well as priming? Or does the combination of the Rustoleum
primer and paint do the same thing and therefore that's enough?

My experience trying to remove rust hasn't worked very well. I would
not do the wash/dry step. Once clean metal is exposed, it should be
protected right away. We have used Rustoleum primer/paint and the stuff
that "converts" rust, which I think is junk.

I have read about small blaster thingys for "sand blasting", but I'm not
a tool junkie and don't know how well they might do. I would, for sure,
grind out heavy rust. Vacuum to remove dust and wipe with denatured to
remove grease. Put on new coating right away, before new rust begins to
form.

David Martel

Grendel,

I've always used a separate rust converter. I "wire wheel" the whole
thing, wipe down, rust convert, wipe down, prime and paint. I use a glossy
paint. It seems to last 7-10 yrs/

Dave M.

SteveB

"Grendel" wrote in message
gonna paint my front railing that's rusty in areas. Here's my plan

1. Cover area with dropcloths
2.. Remove loose paint and loose rust with wire brush Leave light surface
rust as is.
3. Lightly sand whole railing for better paint adhesion
4. Wash railing and let it dry
5. Use rust inhibitor and/or Rustoleom primer to prevent rust from coming
back and to stop stop surface rust
6. Paint with brush using Rustoleom glossy. I think glossy would look
neat.

Step 6 is what I have a question about. Do I need to use the rust
inhibitor
separate stuff as well as priming? Or does the combination of the
Rustoleum
primer and paint do the same thing and therefore that's enough?

Sounds like a good plan. The combo paint will work just fine, but I find a
small roller MUCH easier to use, better coverage, faster coverage.

STeve

Bob G.

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 04:22:29 GMT, "Grendel"
wrote:

gonna paint my front railing that's rusty in areas. Here's my plan

1. Cover area with dropcloths
2.. Remove loose paint and loose rust with wire brush Leave light surface
rust as is.
3. Lightly sand whole railing for better paint adhesion
4. Wash railing and let it dry
5. Use rust inhibitor and/or Rustoleom primer to prevent rust from coming
back and to stop stop surface rust
6. Paint with brush using Rustoleom glossy. I think glossy would look neat.

Step 6 is what I have a question about. Do I need to use the rust inhibitor
separate stuff as well as priming? Or does the combination of the Rustoleum
primer and paint do the same thing and therefore that's enough?

=====================
If it is Iron it will rust....

But I sand blasted my railings (just much easier then wire brushing
the surface rust off... then I sprayed
the railings with Por 15 .... followed a few days later with regular
black exterior oil based paint...

This was about 4 to 5 years ago and to be honest they still look
good... I'm happy...

Bolb G.

steveki

If you really want it to last. Clean the metal of all rust, wire brush,
sand, etc.
Spray an automotive etching primer or epoxy primer and apply automotive
paint. Talk to your local auto paint supply house for primer and paint. My
opinion - PPG makes some of the best automotive primers and finishes.

good luck

wrote:

[...]

SteveB

"steveki" wrote in message
If you really want it to last. Clean the metal of all rust, wire brush,
sand, etc.
Spray an automotive etching primer or epoxy primer and apply automotive
paint. Talk to your local auto paint supply house for primer and paint.
My opinion - PPG makes some of the best automotive primers and finishes.

good luck

Expensive overkill. Clean, and roller with Rustoleum.

STeve

Charles Bishop

In article 9Qvne.7376$vK5.5507@trnddc03, "Grendel"
wrote:

gonna paint my front railing that's rusty in areas. Here's my plan

1. Cover area with dropcloths
2.. Remove loose paint and loose rust with wire brush Leave light surface
rust as is.
3. Lightly sand whole railing for better paint adhesion
4. Wash railing and let it dry
5. Use rust inhibitor and/or Rustoleom primer to prevent rust from coming
back and to stop stop surface rust
6. Paint with brush using Rustoleom glossy. I think glossy would look neat.

Step 6 is what I have a question about. Do I need to use the rust inhibitor
separate stuff as well as priming? Or does the combination of the Rustoleum
primer and paint do the same thing and therefore that's enough?

Also check out the current issue of _This Old House_ it has an article on
painting iron railings, etc. that shows a technique.

--
charles

repainting a wrought iron porch railing J Kelly Home Repair 9 May 5th 05 01:30 AM
Painting cast iron tub mo Home Repair 1 April 8th 05 11:50 PM
Salt and vinegar for rust removal Paul O. Woodworking 89 May 21st 04 09:20 PM
How much work is to clean & stain cedar deck railing? Dave K. Home Repair 0 May 1st 04 06:22 PM
Bench Vise Questions (Steel vs. Iron) x Metalworking 2 September 1st 03 04:50 PM