Actor123

Default Recommendations on fireplace tile color?

I'm starting a home project in which I will be covering the wall
surrounding a fireplace with drywall (its currently all brick all the
way to the ceiling). I will then be putting some sort of tiling around
the fireplace itself and the raised hearth, without going all the way
to the ceiling. I will then have a mantle above the tile, and then
wall above the mantle (for artwork).

Anyway, I have a handle on the physics of the project, but I'm lost
when it comes to colors. I'm going for a typical contemporary look -
nothing too out of the ordinary, but that looks elegant. The floors in
that room are a dark brazilian cherry and the walls are light tan. As
a general rule, I tend to prefer light colors, but if that would make
it not go with the dark cherry wood floor then I am flexible on that.
Any suggestions as to tile type/color?

Many thanks

Phisherman

My fireplace tile is the same color as the carpet, beige. Darker
colors tend to make the object larger, lighter colors smaller. Match
your tile with the floor or wall color.

On 30 May 2005 18:19:23 -0700, "Actor123" wrote:

I'm starting a home project in which I will be covering the wall
surrounding a fireplace with drywall (its currently all brick all the
way to the ceiling). I will then be putting some sort of tiling around
the fireplace itself and the raised hearth, without going all the way
to the ceiling. I will then have a mantle above the tile, and then
wall above the mantle (for artwork).

Anyway, I have a handle on the physics of the project, but I'm lost
when it comes to colors. I'm going for a typical contemporary look -
nothing too out of the ordinary, but that looks elegant. The floors in
that room are a dark brazilian cherry and the walls are light tan. As
a general rule, I tend to prefer light colors, but if that would make
it not go with the dark cherry wood floor then I am flexible on that.
Any suggestions as to tile type/color?

Many thanks

dadiOH

Actor123 wrote:

Anyway, I have a handle on the physics of the project, but I'm lost
when it comes to colors. I'm going for a typical contemporary look -
nothing too out of the ordinary, but that looks elegant.

Black. Grout too.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Charles Spitzer

"Actor123" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm starting a home project in which I will be covering the wall
surrounding a fireplace with drywall (its currently all brick all the
way to the ceiling). I will then be putting some sort of tiling around
the fireplace itself and the raised hearth, without going all the way
to the ceiling. I will then have a mantle above the tile, and then
wall above the mantle (for artwork).

Anyway, I have a handle on the physics of the project, but I'm lost
when it comes to colors. I'm going for a typical contemporary look -
nothing too out of the ordinary, but that looks elegant. The floors in
that room are a dark brazilian cherry and the walls are light tan. As
a general rule, I tend to prefer light colors, but if that would make
it not go with the dark cherry wood floor then I am flexible on that.
Any suggestions as to tile type/color?

Many thanks

large granite or marble tiles in a dark color.

Jennifer

dadiOH wrote:
Actor123 wrote:

Anyway, I have a handle on the physics of the project, but I'm lost
when it comes to colors. I'm going for a typical contemporary look -
nothing too out of the ordinary, but that looks elegant.

Black. Grout too.

Yep, black tile is the best bet for most fireplaces. It presents a
clean, elegant transition from the grotty ashes, cinders, and soot to
the rest of the room, assuming it's not a gas fireplace of course.

Black will also work with pretty much everything, no matter what color
the room is painted in the future.

--
Jennifer

Banty

In article .com, Jennifer
says...

dadiOH wrote:
Actor123 wrote:

Anyway, I have a handle on the physics of the project, but I'm lost
when it comes to colors. I'm going for a typical contemporary look -
nothing too out of the ordinary, but that looks elegant.

Black. Grout too.

Yep, black tile is the best bet for most fireplaces. It presents a
clean, elegant transition from the grotty ashes, cinders, and soot to
the rest of the room, assuming it's not a gas fireplace of course.

Black will also work with pretty much everything, no matter what color
the room is painted in the future.

Yep. I picture a black, veined granite or marble tile with some kind of border
with earthy tones, in the room with the cherry wood dark floor and tan walls.
(The walls of course can easily be painted to something else, but the
combination sounds beautiful as it is..)

Banty

Edwin Pawlowski

but I'm lost
when it comes to colors. I'm going for a typical contemporary look -
nothing too out of the ordinary, but that looks elegant. The floors in
that room are a dark brazilian cherry and the walls are light tan. As
a general rule, I tend to prefer light colors, but if that would make
it not go with the dark cherry wood floor then I am flexible on that.
Any suggestions as to tile type/color?

Anything "natural" would be fine. Light may be better than dark since you
have dark floors. If you are using natural materials it will have a texture
and variable color. If you use a man made tile, I'd tend to stick with the
earth tones. A splash of color in a border or insert can look good but since
you want elegant, you know already to avoid the gaudy.