blueman

Default How accurate is plastic miter box?

I bought a medium quality ($18) plastic hand miter box at HD (there
were cheaper wood and plastic ones and a more expensive metal one).

I want to use it to cut 45 degree miters for ceiling molding.

How does the accuracy and finish of hand cut miters compare with the
results from a reasonable quality electric miter box?

Thanks

Backlash

Unless finances are a real issue, I would return the miter box and buy the
Delta $79 electric miter saw, Lowes #21314, model #MS250. Hand miter boxes
are OK, but moldings and such can wiggle around during cutting unless you
have a really firm grip on them. If this is your first time cutting molding
with one, set up the video camera, because it will be fun to watch later.
You can buy a saw, use it, and then if you have no further need for it, then
sell it on a yard sale to recover a lot of your investment. It might even
end up cheaper than renting one, as you get to keep it as long as you want,
and use it at your convenience.

RJ

"blueman" wrote in message
I bought a medium quality ($18) plastic hand miter box at HD (there
were cheaper wood and plastic ones and a more expensive metal one).

I want to use it to cut 45 degree miters for ceiling molding.

How does the accuracy and finish of hand cut miters compare with the
results from a reasonable quality electric miter box?

Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

"blueman" wrote in message
I bought a medium quality ($18) plastic hand miter box at HD (there
were cheaper wood and plastic ones and a more expensive metal one).

I want to use it to cut 45 degree miters for ceiling molding.

How does the accuracy and finish of hand cut miters compare with the
results from a reasonable quality electric miter box?

Done right, they are perfect. Takes a little practice. Use a good sharp
saw, hold the molding securely, mark accurately. Let the saw do the work,
don't force it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Buck Turgidson

I bought a medium quality ($18) plastic hand miter box at HD (there
were cheaper wood and plastic ones and a more expensive metal one).

I want to use it to cut 45 degree miters for ceiling molding.

How does the accuracy and finish of hand cut miters compare with the
results from a reasonable quality electric miter box?

You should get good results if you hold the work firmly, or use some of
those spring-loaded clamps. Al electric will give you more flexibility in
case your walls aren't 90 degrees, and you need to cut a 43.5 degree miter,
e.g.

JimL

On Sun, 29 May 2005 06:21:04 GMT, blueman wrote:

I bought a medium quality ($18) plastic hand miter box at HD (there
were cheaper wood and plastic ones and a more expensive metal one).

I want to use it to cut 45 degree miters for ceiling molding.

How does the accuracy and finish of hand cut miters compare with the
results from a reasonable quality electric miter box?

Thanks

We have a bargain electric miter and use it all the time and love it.
The accuracy is always in the operator, not in the saw.

I also suggest you return it and get the electic one.

The Real Tom

On Sun, 29 May 2005 06:21:04 GMT, blueman wrote:

I bought a medium quality ($18) plastic hand miter box at HD (there
were cheaper wood and plastic ones and a more expensive metal one).

I want to use it to cut 45 degree miters for ceiling molding.

How does the accuracy and finish of hand cut miters compare with the
results from a reasonable quality electric miter box?

Thanks

Having just done crown molding in my living room with a plastic mitter
box(I think too bought at HD), buy something of better quality, or
rent one when you need one. The molding was jumping around, the
sawing action wasn't smooth, and just sucked. I tossed it after I was
done. Oh, just an FYI,I was using foam molding too.

Get a real mitter box, you won't kick yourself everytime you see a
projects f'd up results after doing the work.

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com