Corporate Monkey

Default Installing Windows where there is no window

Hello,

I have an addition on my house. The outside has ceder siding and the
inside is simple paneling. I'd like to put a standard sized window
where there currently is no window.

Is there a link or basic instructions on how to do this? How do I "cut"
out the window area and then install the wondow. Thanks in advance for
all of your help!

Manta

Better go get yourself a book from the library on basic framing.

Depending on the size of the windows, you'll probably need some size
header in
there. Better to do it right than half assed.

If reading up on basic framing and you dont understand, just hire
someone to do it for you.

Colbyt

"Corporate Monkey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have an addition on my house. The outside has ceder siding and the
inside is simple paneling. I'd like to put a standard sized window
where there currently is no window.

Is there a link or basic instructions on how to do this? How do I "cut"
out the window area and then install the wondow. Thanks in advance for
all of your help!

Manta

Find some open "under construction" homes in your area. Take a look at a
wall with no window and one that has a window. To do it right you have to
change from one to the other. Realize that you will have to destruct before
you can construct.

If you have never done it you might want to hire it done.

Colbyt

Jim Ranieri

"Corporate Monkey" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have an addition on my house. The outside has ceder siding and the
inside is simple paneling. I'd like to put a standard sized window
where there currently is no window.

Is there a link or basic instructions on how to do this? How do I "cut"
out the window area and then install the wondow. Thanks in advance for
all of your help!

There may be more to this than you're thinking. Remove interior
paneling/drywall - exposing the wall framing. Note the rough opening that
the window will require. To make this opening, you will have to cut through
a wall stud or 2. You will have to install a header, horizontally under the
cut studs (typically a doubled up 2x8 or 2x10 with a couple pieces of 1/2"
ply sandwaiched in between so they are the sam thickness as the 2x4 wall
studs.

The header will have to be supported by jack studs, which are sistered up
against the nearest full length studs and transfer the wall load from the
cut off studs, to the header, to the studs, to the sill / foundation.

Frame the bottom of the window opening with 2x4, locating the supporting
studs in line with the studs you cut above.

Cut back exterior siding to allow you to stick new window in opening and
attach nailing fin to sheathing / framing members you just constructed.
Flash, insulate and seal. Redo interior wall / window casing. Install
exterior window trim. Prime / paint / caulk. Done.

http://www.elementcasting.com/rem-windowin.jpg