Bob

Default Dental Vacuum pump - Need info

I just acquired a Dentsply DEU-2 pump assembly removed from a dental
practice. It has 1" copper input and output lines, and a pressure regulator
and solonoid valve assembly going to a 1/2 inch copper line going out. (for
water?) There are 2 pumps, each with a 3/4 HP motor. I am trying to figure
out what the requirements are for these pumps to work. Do they need water
for lubrication? Is that what the water line is for? Was there a tank ahead
of this unit to catch the crud, or did it run everything through the pumps?
What maintenance would the pumps require?

If anyone knows anything about these units, I would greatly appreciate
hearing from you.

Bob

Dan C

On Wed, 25 May 2005 07:13:50 -0700, Bob wrote:

I just acquired a Dentsply DEU-2 pump assembly removed from a dental
practice. It has 1" copper input and output lines, and a pressure regulator
and solonoid valve assembly going to a 1/2 inch copper line going out. (for
water?) There are 2 pumps, each with a 3/4 HP motor. I am trying to figure
out what the requirements are for these pumps to work. Do they need water
for lubrication? Is that what the water line is for? Was there a tank ahead
of this unit to catch the crud, or did it run everything through the pumps?
What maintenance would the pumps require?

And what the **** would these pumps have to do with "alt.home.repair"???
Go ask in a dental newsgroup.

Linux Registered User #327951

Speedy Jim

Bob wrote:
I just acquired a Dentsply DEU-2 pump assembly removed from a dental
practice. It has 1" copper input and output lines, and a pressure regulator
and solonoid valve assembly going to a 1/2 inch copper line going out. (for
water?) There are 2 pumps, each with a 3/4 HP motor. I am trying to figure
out what the requirements are for these pumps to work. Do they need water
for lubrication? Is that what the water line is for? Was there a tank ahead
of this unit to catch the crud, or did it run everything through the pumps?
What maintenance would the pumps require?

If anyone knows anything about these units, I would greatly appreciate
hearing from you.

Bob

GOOGLE: Dentsply vacuum pump
for starters

--

Jim
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 25 May 2005 07:13:50 -0700, Bob wrote:

I just acquired a Dentsply DEU-2 pump assembly removed from a dental
practice. It has 1" copper input and output lines, and a pressure
regulator
and solonoid valve assembly going to a 1/2 inch copper line going out.
(for
water?) There are 2 pumps, each with a 3/4 HP motor. I am trying to
figure
out what the requirements are for these pumps to work. Do they need water
for lubrication? Is that what the water line is for? Was there a tank
ahead
of this unit to catch the crud, or did it run everything through the
pumps?
What maintenance would the pumps require?

And what the **** would these pumps have to do with "alt.home.repair"???
Go ask in a dental newsgroup.

He didn't say he was using them for dental purposes. He may want to use
them to clean his fish tank or sump pump. That is within the realm of this
group.

Most vacuum pumps require water to make a seal to draw the vacuum. Most
require little maintenance. Dentsply is still around so you may want to try
contacting them for a manual or the pump maker on the nameplate. AFAIK,
Dentsply made the assembly, not the actual pumps.

Bob

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
[...]

Feel free to name an appropriate "dental" newsgroup. I couldn't find one
before I posted here.

There are lots of people here with useful real life experience. I guess you
are not one of them.

Perhaps someone with experience with these units may see my posting and
help me.

Bob

PaPaPeng

wrote:

I just acquired a Dentsply DEU-2 pump assembly removed from a dental
practice. It has 1" copper input and output lines, and a pressure regulator
and solonoid valve assembly going to a 1/2 inch copper line going out. (for
water?) There are 2 pumps, each with a 3/4 HP motor. I am trying to figure
out what the requirements are for these pumps to work. Do they need water
for lubrication? Is that what the water line is for? Was there a tank ahead
of this unit to catch the crud, or did it run everything through the pumps?
What maintenance would the pumps require?

If anyone knows anything about these units, I would greatly appreciate
hearing from you.

Bob

I did my earlier research on recycling refrigerator compressors for
airbrush work. Your dental vacuum pump is just a silent fridge
compressor used as a vacuum pump. The 2 pump configuration is a two
stage set up to get a better vacuum.

Look up any "How they work" books or URLs on the household
refrigerator and you will get a pretty good idea of the innards of
these single cylinder hermetically sealed compressors.

If you want to you can dismantle your two unit setup and use each unit
independently as a compressor or as a vacuum pump. The canister is
welded shut thus "hermetically sealed." Its a high pressure vessel
therefore a bugger to cut open. Don't unless you have a wreaked unit
and want to find out what's inside.

The only difference from regular compressors is that these sealed
units are meant to run with an oil bath inside the sealed canister.
Its just ordinary motor oil so if you do dismantle the units don't
tilt the canister or you will have a pool of oil on the floor. The
oil serves several purposes: to lubricate of course, to act as a
solvent for the refrigerant (no refrigerant in dental vacuum pump) and
to cool the compressor. The cooling solution is neat. The commutator
end of the motor dips into the oil bath. When the compressor is run
oil is drawn up the hollow motorshaft-compressor crankshaft assembly.
This oil spews out like a garden spray at the top and then runs down
the sides of the canister. The solution is the oil picks up heat from
compression when it was drawn through the shaft. This oil is cooled
as it runs down the canister sides. Neat.
Bob

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
Bob wrote:
[...]

I have already done an hour of web search, and can find no hook-up or
operation descriptions. I was hoping someone with experience on these types
of units might be lurking here.

Bob

Oscar_Lives

"Bob" wrote in message
I just acquired a Dentsply DEU-2 pump assembly removed from a dental
practice. It has 1" copper input and output lines, and a pressure
regulator
and solonoid valve assembly going to a 1/2 inch copper line going out.
(for
water?) There are 2 pumps, each with a 3/4 HP motor. I am trying to figure
out what the requirements are for these pumps to work. Do they need water
for lubrication? Is that what the water line is for? Was there a tank
ahead
of this unit to catch the crud, or did it run everything through the
pumps?
What maintenance would the pumps require?

If anyone knows anything about these units, I would greatly appreciate
hearing from you.

Bob

DENTSPLY International
World Headquarters
Susquehanna Commerce Center
221 W. Philadelphia Street
P.O. Box 872
York, PA 17405-0872
USA
Tel: (717) 845-7511
1-800-877-0020

Bob

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Of course. I already know this. From their website, it doesn't appear they
manufacture these units anymore. No useful information is available on their
site as far as I can find. I don't really expect the manufactuer to want to
have a theory of operation discussion on this.

Bob

Bob

wrote:

[...]

These pumps have no similarity to refridgeration compressors. they are
composed of a 3/4 HP motor bolted to a pump which is a few inches in
diameter and 2 inches or so deep. My suspicion is that they are flexible
vane pumps which would require some water for lubrication.

Bob

HeyBub

Bob wrote:
"Dan C" wrote in message
news
[...]

His life experience has taught him to respond to all situations with "What
the **** do I care?"

If this works for him, we should all rejoice in the happiness of an
individual soul.

Perhaps someone with experience with these units may see my posting
and help me.

Bob

Caesar Romano

On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:49:54 -0500, Dental Vacuum pump - Need
info Dan C wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2005 07:13:50 -0700, Bob wrote:

I just acquired a Dentsply DEU-2 pump assembly removed from a dental
practice. It has 1" copper input and output lines, and a pressure regulator
and solonoid valve assembly going to a 1/2 inch copper line going out. (for
water?) There are 2 pumps, each with a 3/4 HP motor. I am trying to figure
out what the requirements are for these pumps to work. Do they need water
for lubrication? Is that what the water line is for? Was there a tank ahead
of this unit to catch the crud, or did it run everything through the pumps?
What maintenance would the pumps require?

And what the **** would these pumps have to do with "alt.home.repair"???
Go ask in a dental newsgroup.

Wow! What a scum-bag your are Dan. The guy asked a reasonable
question.

PaPaPeng

On Wed, 25 May 2005 11:48:05 -0700, "Bob"
wrote:

These pumps have no similarity to refridgeration compressors. they are
composed of a 3/4 HP motor bolted to a pump which is a few inches in
diameter and 2 inches or so deep. My suspicion is that they are flexible
vane pumps which would require some water for lubrication.

Any possibiity of posting a photo? The key requirement in a dental
practice is to minimisize the noise plus deliver clean air or vacuum.
I went to a dental supplies store for mold making materials and went
through their comperssor - vacuum selection. They were all glorified
fridge compressors, glorified in that there was a lot of fancy
attachments but still the basic fridge canister compressor. Same
thing from a supplier at an industrial equipment show.
Dan C

On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:36:07 -0500, Caesar Romano wrote:

And what the **** would these pumps have to do with "alt.home.repair"???
Go ask in a dental newsgroup.

Wow! What a scum-bag your are Dan. The guy asked a reasonable
question.

He did? Dental pumps are somehow on-topic in a Home Repair newsgroup?
Would it be OK to ask questions about racing cams in a big-block Chevy
engine too? How about the merits of alternative medicine? Would those
questions be "reasonable" too?

Linux Registered User #327951

RicodJour

Bob wrote:
"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

DENTSPLY International
World Headquarters
Susquehanna Commerce Center
221 W. Philadelphia Street
P.O. Box 872
York, PA 17405-0872
USA
Tel: (717) 845-7511
1-800-877-0020

Of course. I already know this. From their website, it doesn't appear they
manufacture these units anymore. No useful information is available on their
site as far as I can find. I don't really expect the manufactuer to want to
have a theory of operation discussion on this.

Pick up the phone. Let them tell you no instead of assuming it.
You'll probably be surprised. The tech help guys like giving tech
help.

vacuum pump [email protected] Electronics Repair 10 April 12th 05 06:38 PM
Gast 0522 Vacuum Pump Rick Woodworking 2 November 29th 03 06:33 AM
Conan the Compressor - Vacuum Pump Possible? surftom Metalworking 4 November 8th 03 02:40 AM
How to make a vacuum kiln in 20 screwups or less. Steve Knight Woodworking 3 July 26th 03 06:12 AM
Backup Sump Pump Horror Story Harvey Krodin Home Repair 10 June 27th 03 02:59 PM