BSAKing

Default What constitutes a damaged shingle?

I was looking at my roof and I notice there are some shingles curled up at
the edges. I'm going to shinny up and check it out more closely, but as far
as I can see there are none with chunks out of them.

I was thinking of replacing any that need it in order to stretch out the
time to replace the entire roof given the cost and was wondering exactly
which ones I should be replacing.

Thanks for any and all input.

Joseph Meehan

BSAKing wrote:
I was looking at my roof and I notice there are some shingles curled
up at the edges. I'm going to shinny up and check it out more
closely, but as far as I can see there are none with chunks out of
them.
I was thinking of replacing any that need it in order to stretch out
the time to replace the entire roof given the cost and was wondering
exactly which ones I should be replacing.

Thanks for any and all input.

Unless you have some missing, I would not do a thing. Getting up there
and repair some can often damage others. It sounds like you are approaching
the end of the useful life of what you have and you should plan on a full
replacement soon.

In some cases if money is a real issue, you may stretch out the life by
replacing just the south facing roof segments (north facing for those
experiencing fall right now).

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

BSAKing

Thanks - we had some ice damming and ice on the roof here a few years ago
because of weather conditions that caused some issues in some areas. I agree
it will not be long for a replacement, but $100 sounded a lot better than
5-7K$ right now, if even to extend it for a few years.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
BSAKing wrote:
[...]

Goedjn

Thanks - we had some ice damming and ice on the roof here a few years ago
because of weather conditions that caused some issues in some areas. I agree
it will not be long for a replacement, but $100 sounded a lot better than
5-7K$ right now, if even to extend it for a few years.

I was thinking of replacing any that need it in order to stretch out
the time to replace the entire roof given the cost and was wondering
exactly which ones I should be replacing.

If it's not leaking now, then wait till it gets really hot, so the
shingles will flex and not crack,
and then go up and glue down the raised edges of the up-lifted
shingles with one dot of adhesive per tab.

It's not going to buy you much time though. I'd expect one
extra year, and hope for two. Can you see the underside of
the roof so you can inspect it during heavy rains for leaks?
JimL

BSAKing wrote:
[...]

I feel you would do far more damage to your roof by walking on it
than you would be helping it by replacing a few shingles. Maybe if
you could replace all the curling shingles and reseal without walking
on it then ok.

Tony Hwang

Charles Spitzer wrote:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

You could always do what someone that I know did. The guy bought 3 or
4 bundles of shingles everytime he got his paycheck. Then he started
at one corner and removed and replaced the shingles, one by one until
he used up those bundles. The next time he got paid, he would do the
same, and so on. It took him two years to replace the whole roof, but
he now has a new roof and it actually looks good. I remember him
complaining about one bad spot he encountered, and he was forced to
buy an extra bundle that one week, which as he said, meant less food
that week. I was always worried about the manufacturer changing the
color, but he lucked out. I can however notice there are a few areas
where the different batches are slightly noticable, since shingles,
just like paint, are never exactly the same in each batch.

The guy is a little "different", but whatever works !!!!

That would have been real fun if they stopped making that style or
color after a few moths. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

or trying to figure out where the warrantee starts on which area of shingles

Hi,
How could he check the integrity of roof decking doing that?
Tony