B. Adams

Default Grounding receptacle box

I bought some metal receptacle boxes at Lowes. They do not have
grounding screws. When I install the receptacles, I will of course
attach the ground to the ground screw on the outlet. Will the contact
between the yoke and the box be sufficient to ground the box?
toller

That is a contentious question. Certainly it will ground the box; however
your inspector might not think so. Better quality outlets have a fancier
hole on them to ensure a good ground; they should meet the code requirement,
while the cheaper ones may not. Personally I ground both if the wire
situation allows.

zxcvbob

B. Adams wrote:
I bought some metal receptacle boxes at Lowes. They do not have
grounding screws. When I install the receptacles, I will of course
attach the ground to the ground screw on the outlet. Will the contact
between the yoke and the box be sufficient to ground the box?

No, because when you remove the outlet the box will no longer be
grounded. If you ground the box (you'll have to add a screw or a
special UL-listed clip) you might not have to ground the outlet if the
outlet has a little copper spring on one of the screws and is listed as
"self grounding".

I usually wrap the ground wire about 270° around the screw in the box
and then continue on to the outlet. I learned that trick here. :-) It
works better than using a wirenut.

Those ground clips are hard to use IMHO and not worth it.

You can always use plastic boxes and then you don't have to ground them.

Bob
No

You can also get those screws in green with a short piece of green wire pre
attached. At better supply houses. I know it will be more expensive than
just using a clip or screw with you own piece of scrap wire but time is
money and it makes a nice neat job.

"B. Adams" wrote in message
I bought some metal receptacle boxes at Lowes. They do not have
grounding screws. When I install the receptacles, I will of course
attach the ground to the ground screw on the outlet. Will the contact
between the yoke and the box be sufficient to ground the box?

No

Some of those can be seen here
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ff&oi=froogler
and here
http://assets.twacomm.com/pdf/14432.pdf

"No" wrote in message ...
You can also get those screws in green with a short piece of green wire
pre
attached. At better supply houses.

snip