HeatMan

Default Trimming hedges

Is this the right time of year to trim some hedges? We just moved into a
new house and there is a bunch of holly's that (In my opinion) have grown
wild and in need of pruning.

TIA.

Joseph Meehan

HeatMan wrote:
Is this the right time of year to trim some hedges? We just moved
into a new house and there is a bunch of holly's that (In my opinion)
have grown wild and in need of pruning.

TIA.

You might want to check with your local county extension office (or the
equivalent if you are not in the US). They are great with this kind of
question. I also suggest you let us know what part of the world you are
living in and maybe those who know would also want to know what kind of
holly you have?

I am just trying to keep mine alive and get the healthy, but then I am
not in an area that hollies like.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Goedjn

Is this the right time of year to trim some hedges? We just moved into a
new house and there is a bunch of holly's that (In my opinion) have grown
wild and in need of pruning.

Heavy pruning should be done in the winter, when the plants
are asleep.
HeatMan

Thanks Joseph.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..

You might want to check with your local county extension office (or

the
equivalent if you are not in the US). They are great with this kind of
question. I also suggest you let us know what part of the world you are
living in and maybe those who know would also want to know what kind of
holly you have?

I'm in the SE United States, Georgia to be exact. All I know is they are
holly's that have stickers and berries.

I am just trying to keep mine alive and get the healthy, but then I am
not in an area that hollies like.

Sometimes I wish. We've dug up/cut down 4 so farwith about 3 more to go.
The one's I want to trim are up against the house.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Walter R.

I prune and trim my holly in spring. Then it takes off like gangbusters.
(Southern California)

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

HeatMan wrote:
Is this the right time of year to trim some hedges? We just moved
into a new house and there is a bunch of holly's that (In my opinion)
have grown wild and in need of pruning.

TIA.

You might want to check with your local county extension office (or the
equivalent if you are not in the US). They are great with this kind of
question. I also suggest you let us know what part of the world you are
living in and maybe those who know would also want to know what kind of
holly you have?

I am just trying to keep mine alive and get the healthy, but then I am
not in an area that hollies like.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Roger Taylor

"HeatMan" wrote in message
. ..
Is this the right time of year to trim some hedges? We just moved into a
new house and there is a bunch of holly's that (In my opinion) have grown
wild and in need of pruning.

Good reference group is rec.gardens.
Holly in Georgia is likely grows over much of the year, but mainly in the
spring and early summer. Generally, I trim hedges any and all times of the
year. You get much better shape and privacy effect if you trim them
frequently. I do mine every quarter. Basically do one severe trim to the
shape you want. That will shock the plant and it will take awhile to
recover, but from then on trim every few months during the long growing
season, and all the unevenness and holes will fill in, and subsequent
trimmings will be minor, and the holly will thank you for it.

wdude

Trim them in the day time.

Printer's or Trimming Saw Mike Henry Metalworking 10 April 21st 05 04:38 AM
Door trimming saw GB UK diy 9 March 22nd 05 08:44 AM
Wallpapering: trimming at ceiling [email protected] UK diy 11 March 15th 05 06:59 PM
Trimming Hariplank [email protected] Woodworking 4 March 9th 05 03:29 PM
Silicone - Yoke Trimming magnet Jerry Greenberg Electronics Repair 2 August 13th 03 06:10 AM