Colbyt

Default Does the tile come first or the kitchen cabinets first ?

"alan" wrote in message
I thought it was the latter - cabinets in place first and then
cabinets but does to stove design *exposed feet* - Wolf stove...I
guess I will have to tile first.

When I do a job floor tile comes before the cabinets. The only reason not to
do it this way is saving a few bucks.

Wall tile comes after cabinets and countertops because tile is easier to
trim than cabinets.

Colbyt

No

I like to tile first, all the way to wall. Costs a bit more but if you ever
change cabinets or appliance location you never have a problem.
"alan" wrote in message
I thought it was the latter - cabinets in place first and then
cabinets but does to stove design *exposed feet* - Wolf stove...I
guess I will have to tile first.

Floor first and do the entire kitchen area.

The cabinets will look better when sititng on tile as opposed to trying
laying tile as close as possible to cabinets.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Floor first and do the entire kitchen area.

The cabinets will look better when sititng on tile as opposed to trying
laying tile as close as possible to cabinets.

When adding a new floor do you advocate ripping out the base cabinets? If
you are putting in a very expensive floor, going under cabinets can cost big
bucks for nothing.

If you have any full height pantry cabinets tiling under them may cause you
to have to trim the cabinet base.
just something to keep in mind.

Rudy

The cabinets will look better when sititng on tile as opposed to trying
laying tile as close as possible to cabinets.

We tile "up to" the existing cabinets, then the wife installs the same 3"
tile baseboard trim as opposed to wood or mdf.

G Henslee

Colbyt wrote:
"alan" wrote in message

I thought it was the latter - cabinets in place first and then
cabinets but does to stove design *exposed feet* - Wolf stove...I
guess I will have to tile first.

When I do a job floor tile comes before the cabinets. The only reason not to
do it this way is saving a few bucks.

Nonsense. There are several reason why floor tile (which is a FINISH
product) is set afterwards.

Wall tile comes after cabinets and countertops because tile is easier to
trim than cabinets.

Colbyt

What reasoning...

G Henslee

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Floor first and do the entire kitchen area.

The cabinets will look better when sititng on tile as opposed to trying
laying tile as close as possible to cabinets.

When adding a new floor do you advocate ripping out the base cabinets? If
you are putting in a very expensive floor, going under cabinets can cost big
bucks for nothing.

A voice of reason..

we're about to lay porcelain tile now that the cabinets are installed.

I would think that grouting is a very messy process. Are there any tips for
protecting the nice maple toe kick facing and caps other than common sense
masking? Installer is planning on a uniform 3/8 in grout line along the
base cabinet/tile interface. This matches the line width between the 18 sq
inch tiles.

Perhaps it's more clever to tile up to the base cabinet and cover the gap
with shoe moulding, though admittedly the grout line would look pretty slick
as long as it doesn't make a mess of everything.

thanks in advance for comments
ml

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
we're about to lay porcelain tile now that the cabinets are installed.

I would think that grouting is a very messy process. Are there any tips
for
protecting the nice maple toe kick facing and caps other than common sense
masking? Installer is planning on a uniform 3/8 in grout line along the
base cabinet/tile interface. This matches the line width between the 18
sq
inch tiles.

Perhaps it's more clever to tile up to the base cabinet and cover the gap
with shoe moulding, though admittedly the grout line would look pretty
slick
as long as it doesn't make a mess of everything.

thanks in advance for comments
ml

blue masking tape.

How to remove glue left from old kitchen wall tile?? Steve Home Repair 5 February 11th 05 01:00 AM
Removing ceramic tile from kitchen Gerry Campbell Home Repair 0 February 6th 05 04:11 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Removing ceramic tile from kitchen floor... Cindy Home Repair 2 February 8th 04 12:06 AM
Remodeling kitchen - ideas please? Keith R. Williams Home Ownership 3 August 11th 03 02:30 AM