Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Keith R. Williams

Default Remodeling kitchen - ideas please?

In article ,
says...
We're getting ready to re-model our kitchen. We are getting ready to
sign a contract with the cabinet maker and a contractor. We've already
paid for the appliances: cooktop, walloven, cabinet depth
refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher in black.

Our cabinet maker will supply us with cabinets that have roll out
drawers, a lazy susan for the corners, adjustable shelves, roll out
drawer for trash...
My questions for cabinets:

1. Do you have any cabinet "features" in your kitchen that you
absolutely love or dislike?

We have an island for the range with a copper hood (microwave in the
hood) over the entire thing. Very nice. Another nice feature of the
island is a garbage "drawer" one one side of the range. Though it was
tough to find a new plastic basket to replace the original. It gave
out after 15 years (plastic doesn't last forever).

2. Are there any features in your kitchen that you thought you
couldn't live without and now that you have it, turned out to be not
such a big deal after all...

....not enough cabinets! The ceiling is too low so I can't hang a pot
rack. Id' like to have more space for large items.

We're getting recessed cannister lights and undermount cabinet lights
for all work surfaces. Our contractor was recommending halogen lights.
However, I read somewhere that they tend to get really hot. Any
suggestions on the type of undermount cabinet lights?

Watt for watt they produce more light than standard incandescents. So,
they must not be hotter for the same sized bulb. The halogen element
itself is *extremely* hot, however in this application this element is
enclosed in an envelope the same size as a standard reflector bulb.
No, they're no hotter than a regular bulb the same wattage. The light
is crisp white though. I changed all of my canister lights to
halogens.

Undermount? I think fluorescent is about your only choice. I don't
have them, but wish I did.

We will be getting engineered stone for the countertops. Tile flooring
and tile for the backsplash.

Tile can be hard on the legs, if you stand in the kitchen for long
periods. Though I do like tile in kitchens. I'm not keen on tile
backsplashes though. Can't you get the countertop/backsplash in one
piece?

How much of a hassle is maintenance for a tile floor & backsplash? Is
it a good idea to have tile especially behind the cooktop? I'm looking
for something that is easy to clean. Any suggestions would be very
helpful.

Tile is relatively easy to clean. However you might think about grease
from the stove in the grout lines (perhaps if you seal it). We had
tile on the wall behind the counter and stove in a previous house. It
was OK, but I don't think I'd do it again.

--
Keith
Terry

Milan wrote:

[...]

Thanks in advance,

Mil

A recent TV programme mentioned that stainless steel "looks nice'
but can be difficult to keep clean; it shows finger and other
marks too readily. Expensive too although the basic machinery is
identical to cheaper units. We went for coloured appliances,
once, and went back to white; even having the gold coloured
fridge repainted white by a local auto body shop! It's still
white and we still have it in daily use.
Dorot29701

I'm glad you posted because I am in the process of selecting kitchen cabinets
and had wondered about the "new" features. The last time I selected cabinets
there were just shelves.

I have tile countertops and backsplash and it is easy to clean. Next time
around I am going for a different countertop - probably formica because I'm on
a tight budget but will again get tile on the walls.

My neighbor has something I like. Under the sink - instead of just wood trim
that doesn't do anything, her's pulls out (not like a drawer) just drops down
enough to hold a sponge and SOS pad to keep them off the bck of the sink.

Dorothy