Belial Black

Default Mysterious feature - old sewer?

Hope this isn't too OT but I thought someone here might have an idea for
me. I'm currently renovating a 100+ year old brick building. Immediately
behind the building, I'd noticed some subsidence in roughly an 'L' shape
when I bought the property. Yesterday, I finally got around to taking a
shovel to the loose the sinkhole that had been forming (over years) in the
lower leg of the 'L'.

In the ground (subsurface) is a brick retaining wall along one side of
the lower leg of the 'L' with two sewer pipes sticking through it. The
pipes are about 12-16" below ground level and appear to have originally
terminated there (inside the 'L'). We've dug five feet down and have yet
to reach the bottom of the retaining wall.

My initial thought was that this was a sewage pit that emptied into one of
the many caves or underground streams that exist in the area. This
occurred to me as a bit fanciful and doesn't necessarily explain the 'L'
shape. Someone else however, has suggested that it could have been
an old backfilled septic tank. The latter idea seems a bit peculiar,
though. A septic from the early 1890's, made of brick with no means by
which to drain? City sewer has been available here since the dawn of time
and the functioning sewage pipe for this building lives 6-8' below ground.
To my knowledge, there wouldn't have been a method to empty a septic
'tank' in the 1890's so there would most certainly have been capacity
issues if this were true. This is not to mention the stench it would have
generated, esp. given it's proximity to the building.

Any other ideas? I checked an old map (1948) at City Hall and there's no
record of another (above-ground) structure having ever been in this spot.
The lower leg of the 'L' is about 6' long x 4' wide and the back of the
'L' is approx. 9' x 4'.

It's shape, size and the construction of the aforementioned wall
effectively rule out any prospect of it being the remains of an outhouse.

I'm stumped and the backhoe doesn't get here until next weekend...

-BB

DanG

If you are sure they are sewer type piping, they could be lines to
an old septic tank which would have been fairly large or a dry
well that took storm drainage away from the building. Almost lost
a backhoe when the heavy bridge planks covering an old abandoned
septic for a school finally rotted enough to start to cave in.
They had just tied the building to the sanitary sewer system and
left the old tank in the ground.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

[...]

Norminn

Have you tried contacting your local historical society? Could be they
would have photos or other records of the property. Sounds like a
mighty sturdy structure - old root cellar or "summer kitchen" with a
cistern?

dicko

In my house, built in the late 50's, the basement drains run into a
pipe that exits into a dry well build with losely stacked bricks, with
no mortar, in the front yard. The septic system is in the backyard and
the rest of the house is connected to that.

So as someone else said, it could be an old, filled in, dry well.

dickm

Sewer [email protected] UK diy 2 September 10th 04 01:30 PM
Sewer Line Repair / Replacement Mike Home Repair 7 July 4th 04 02:33 PM
clothes washer under sewer line with ejector pump fixhouse Home Repair 1 June 1st 04 01:11 PM
Sewer backup prevention measures Art Todesco Home Repair 0 July 31st 03 05:00 AM
Private Sewers [Long and boring post!] Roger Mills UK diy 6 July 11th 03 04:18 PM