Tex

Default Really small addition and foundation?

I have a garrison colonial (standard 2nd story 12" overhang of 1st
floor) and would like to make the 1st floor even with the 2nd floor by
adding a wall. But not increasing the living space of the 1st floor. I
will however be putting a bay window in the wall.

My question is regarding a foundation. Can I dig out a 4ft deep trench
12" wide beside the existing foundation and fill it with concrete? Or
do I just need to dig a couple of 4' deep holes and add some posts to
support the new wall and window?
Thanks
Jeremy

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tex" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a garrison colonial (standard 2nd story 12" overhang of 1st
floor) and would like to make the 1st floor even with the 2nd floor by
adding a wall. But not increasing the living space of the 1st floor. I
will however be putting a bay window in the wall.

My question is regarding a foundation. Can I dig out a 4ft deep trench
12" wide beside the existing foundation and fill it with concrete? Or
do I just need to dig a couple of 4' deep holes and add some posts to
support the new wall and window?
Thanks
Jeremy

You can make either way work. Your local building inspector will tell you
what needs to be done though.

Goedjn

On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:08:52 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Tex" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a garrison colonial (standard 2nd story 12" overhang of 1st
floor) and would like to make the 1st floor even with the 2nd floor by
adding a wall. But not increasing the living space of the 1st floor. I
will however be putting a bay window in the wall.

Ok, then what *ARE* you trying to accomplish? If all you're
doing is making space for more insulation, you shouldn't need
more foundation at all.

Tex

I think that I could use angle braces and tie everything back to the
foundation, if I weren't putting a bay window in the wall then I would
be more apt to do that.

Addition Mofu Home Repair 3 May 10th 05 09:37 PM
Drain Tile around house, new addition question Bradley V. Stone Home Repair 0 April 19th 05 04:26 PM
Waterproofing addition foundation Sasha Home Repair 12 February 24th 05 04:36 PM
House addition questions Alexander Galkin Home Repair 34 January 7th 05 10:22 PM
Basement foundation crack - pictures Joe Wilson Home Repair 9 November 6th 03 11:38 PM