LurfysMa

Default How to reglue a rubber laptop foot

The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose. I have tried contact cement, which seems to work for a few
months, but they get a lot of lateral stress as the machine is moved.

Is there some better way to secure them?

Thanks

SJF

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
news:1115782461.9a70b8c7d3669f45359d11b06c5db394@t eranews...
The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose. I have tried contact cement, which seems to work for a few
months, but they get a lot of lateral stress as the machine is moved.

Is there some better way to secure them?

Thanks

Cyanoacrylate glues (Crazy Glue, etc.) work great for bonding rubber to
rubber, rubber to steel or almost anything else. I would sand the surface
of the rubber clean first. --- SJF

Patriarch

LurfysMa wrote in
news:1115782461.9a70b8c7d3669f45359d11b06c5db394@t eranews:

The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose. I have tried contact cement, which seems to work for a few
months, but they get a lot of lateral stress as the machine is moved.

Is there some better way to secure them?

Thanks

Hide glue, and a couple of brads 'til the glue dries.
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 10 May 2005 20:34:20 -0700, LurfysMa
wrote:

The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose.

Throw them away, make new ones (snippets of mouse mat or wetsuit
neoprene) that aren't already covered in glue residue. Then make them
bigger, as this reduces the rolling and tearing action at the edge that
tends to pull them off.

Then contact cement should work fine. Make sure it really is contact
cement though - something like Evo-Stick 528 (neoprene in naptha), a
cement that sets hard (if rubbery), not one that remains plasticised.

Clean the case too with a little acetone or isopropanol, to remove old
glues.

And don't spill anything !

Joseph Meehan

LurfysMa wrote:
The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose. I have tried contact cement, which seems to work for a few
months, but they get a lot of lateral stress as the machine is moved.

Is there some better way to secure them?

Thanks

I like a good silicon calk, you can even use it to make new feet.

No matter what you use, you need all the old glue cleaned off.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

babygrand

Just make sure those brads are long enough to get up into the motherboard!

babygrand

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
LurfysMa wrote in
news:1115782461.9a70b8c7d3669f45359d11b06c5db394@t eranews:

Hide glue, and a couple of brads 'til the glue dries.

Jack

Another option... "weatherstripping glue" or sometimes called "trim
adhesive" sold in auto parts stores for attaching, oddly enough,
weatherstripping to doors and plastic trip pieces to cars. Strong
stuff...

Norminn

LurfysMa wrote:
The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose. I have tried contact cement, which seems to work for a few
months, but they get a lot of lateral stress as the machine is moved.

Is there some better way to secure them?

Thanks

Rubber feet are there to pad it, but to prevent sliding as well. It
will be tough to keep anything stuck on with repeated lateral stress.
Why the lateral stress? Silicone caulk is great for little padded
"feet", but probably will let go before it slides.

Barge Cement. Nothing better...

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

--Stan Graves

LurfysMa

On Wed, 11 May 2005 11:25:28 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose. I have tried contact cement, which seems to work for a few
months, but they get a lot of lateral stress as the machine is moved.

Is there some better way to secure them?

Thanks

I like a good silicon calk, you can even use it to make new feet.

Do you mean that silicon sealer that comes in a tube?

Is that sturdy enough to be a non-skid foot? I would think that it
would wear away quickly.

LurfysMa

On 11 May 2005 09:30:56 -0700, "Jack" wrote:

Another option... "weatherstripping glue" or sometimes called "trim
adhesive" sold in auto parts stores for attaching, oddly enough,
weatherstripping to doors and plastic trip pieces to cars. Strong
stuff...

That sounds like an possibility, thanks.

LurfysMa

On Wed, 11 May 2005 20:45:40 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

LurfysMa wrote:
The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose. I have tried contact cement, which seems to work for a few
months, but they get a lot of lateral stress as the machine is moved.

Is there some better way to secure them?

Thanks

Rubber feet are there to pad it, but to prevent sliding as well. It
will be tough to keep anything stuck on with repeated lateral stress.
Why the lateral stress?

It's a laptop. It doesn't stay absolutely stationary.

LurfysMa

wrote:

The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose.

Throw them away, make new ones (snippets of mouse mat or wetsuit
neoprene) that aren't already covered in glue residue. Then make them
bigger, as this reduces the rolling and tearing action at the edge that
tends to pull them off.

I think you are right. I'll just junk the tiny pads that fit into
those tiny little indendations and put a husky rubber foot on each
corner.

Then contact cement should work fine. Make sure it really is contact
cement though - something like Evo-Stick 528 (neoprene in naptha), a
cement that sets hard (if rubbery), not one that remains plasticised.

Clean the case too with a little acetone or isopropanol, to remove old
glues.

And don't spill anything !

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:02:18 -0700, LurfysMa
wrote:

Is that sturdy enough to be a non-skid foot? I would think that it
would wear away quickly.

Just what are you _doing_ to this poor laptop ? it's not a skateboard!

LurfysMa

wrote:

The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose.

Throw them away, make new ones (snippets of mouse mat or wetsuit
neoprene) that aren't already covered in glue residue. Then make them
bigger, as this reduces the rolling and tearing action at the edge that
tends to pull them off.

Then contact cement should work fine. Make sure it really is contact
cement though - something like Evo-Stick 528 (neoprene in naptha), a
cement that sets hard (if rubbery), not one that remains plasticised.

Clean the case too with a little acetone or isopropanol, to remove old
glues.

Is acetone better than products like DeGunk or Goof-Off?

And don't spill anything !

Been there, done that, went to the dog house. ;-)

LurfysMa

wrote:

Is that sturdy enough to be a non-skid foot? I would think that it
would wear away quickly.

Just what are you _doing_ to this poor laptop ? it's not a skateboard!

C'mon. It's a laptop. It sits on the desk and gets moved around a bit.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:31:07 -0700, LurfysMa
wrote:

Is acetone better than products like DeGunk or Goof-Off?

If you have "glue remover" to hand, then use that first. Then try
isopropanol, then methylated spirit (ethanol/methanol), then acetone.
Then you're into solvents which will probably damage the paint on the
case, so you need to work with a cotton bud on a stick, not a cloth.
Andy

I've had the same problem - I only have one rubber foot left, but I
glued it on with Titebond Polyurethane (like Gorilla glue?) and it
seems to be holding fine (tho it's only been a month). I used
goo-gone, then ethanol on both surfaces first, and scratched them up
and moistened them slightly, then clamped on the foot with the
polyurethane glue.

LurfysMa wrote:
The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose. I have tried contact cement, which seems to work for a few
months, but they get a lot of lateral stress as the machine is moved.

Is there some better way to secure them?

Thanks

LurfysMa

LurfysMa wrote:
The little rubber feet on my HP laptop (Omnibook 6000) keep coming
loose. I have tried contact cement, which seems to work for a few
months, but they get a lot of lateral stress as the machine is moved.

Is there some better way to secure them?

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. I found some little
silicon stick-on buttons at the hardware store. They are hemispheres
about 3/8" in diameter. Works perfectly.